Subject: pilliwinks ballot

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:00:20 EDT

Please send in your 1-point and 2-point votes by Saturday, August 30.  
Results will be announced on Sunday, August 31.
________________

pilliwinks (n.)  One of three standard patterns for parading a horse for 
judging in an equestrian competition, consists of directing the horse three times 
around in a figure-eight pattern.  See also carabot and plimney.

pilliwinks (n. pl.) Small fairies who add sleepy seeds to dreamers' eyes.

pilliwinks (n.)  A clown, dancer, or other entertainer who travels with a 
circus but who charges separate admission and keeps his own accounts.  The 
pilliwinks usually pays a fixed weekly or monthly fee to the circus.

pilliwinks (n.) (Brit.) Children's term for a ring of mushrooms said to be 
the site of fairy dances

pilliwinks (n.) An instrument of torture used for squeezing the fingers

pilliwinks (n.) Hairs growing between the eyebrows and the eyelashes.

pilliwinks (n.) Degree of proximity to the event horizon of a black hole 
expressed in terms of counterforce required to escape.

pilliwinks (n.) Barnacles.

pilliwinks (n.)  An inept would-be matchmaker.  (Nickname of Rev. C. L. 
Pillion (1859-1905?) who as Dean of Boys at Eton was responsible for roommate 
assignments.)

pilliwinks (n. pl.) Eyelashes that fall off and lodge on the eye.

pilliwinks (n.) Winks that are pinned by other winks (either the player's or 
the opponent's) that are in roofing positions.   /in pilliwinks/: In a 
position where all of the player's winks are so pinned, and thus no moves are 
available, allowing the opponent to pot all of his free winks at his leisure.

pilliwinks  (n.)  1. A feast to celebrate the end of the Kentish hops-picking 
season.  2. A love-affair conducted during the Kentish hops-picking season. 
3. An illegitimate child.