Subject: galligaskin results

From: "David Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 16:30:25 -0500

Please pardon me for my lateness!  I cam down with the flu on New Year's,
and I confess that the usual fever, congestion, sore throat, etc., made me
forget completely that I was supposed to be announcing results till Pierre
reminded me.  Anyway, the words are

galligaskin, c. 1427 (a. OF _gallin_, L. _gallus_ 'cock' + ME _gaskin_
'gosling', more at -KIN).  1.  The immature male of the goose.  2. (Vulg.)
the penis (1491).  3.  Anything eaten to acquire its qualities, as, redwood
for its long life, or for qualities of similar name, as, hops in order to
hop better (1555).

Elliott Moreton's definition.

No votes.

galligaskin, n. 1553. [f. Ir. _cailleach_ ugly woman + Ger. _gänschen_
gosling. The form _callighentling_, more literally "ugly duckling," is also
attested, but died out in the 1600s.] 1. A baby swan; also applied to the
young of some other Anseriformes. 2. A child who is slow to develop but
excels as an adult. 1703. 3. A warm fuzzy garment for babies and young
children; so called from its resemblance to the baby swan's downy coat.
1733.

Pierre Abbat's definition

Elliott thought it was Ranjit's.

Vote from Kir.

galligaskin.  Now chiefly in pl.  1577.  [app. a corruption of F.
garguesque, a metathetic var. of greguesque, ad. It. grechesca sb., orig.
fem. of grechesco Greek (this kind of hose being in 16th c. described as
alla grechesca = Fr. a la grecque in the Greek fashion).  Prob. in pop.
etym. assoc. w. GALLEY.]  1. A kind of wide hose or breeches worn in the
16th and 17th c.; later a jocose term for loose breeches in general.  Also
attrib.  2. leggings, gaiters (dial.) 1859.  3. A variety of the Cowslip
(Primula veris) 1629.

OED definition.

Votes from Aussie, Elliott, Pierre, Jeff, EZuckerman, Jean-Joseph, and Eric.

galligaskin, 1697.  [Swe. galligaskinn, f. ON. gaelgeskyn]  1. Leg armor
worn below the knee, greaves.  2. Trousers 1806.  3. Tendinitis of the lower
leg 1883.

Jean-Joseph Cote's definition.

Vote from Laura.

Jean-Joseph and Pierre tie with two votes.  Since Pierre got on the horn and
reminded me I should be sending out results, I think he gets the next word.

Apologies for making the selection of the word so difficult.  It was just
that I found galligaskin, it seemed beautifully my style of word, but so
obviously so that I thought everyone would guess it unless I had people send
in a similar form.  As is, most people went for the word anyway.  Ah, well.
I thought the flower definition would throw people off track.

David