Subject: [Fictionary] Ballot Results--attap.

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 17:50:44 GMT

ATTAP BALLOT and Results1] Attap, n. A small sack, often used for catching wild game. *****Def by Joshua/David Randall. Total of 3 points, one from Jean Joseph; 2 from Ranjit. Umjm. How old is Joshua? ***********************. 2] Attap, n. (Wales) The small plot of land permitted to a tenant farmer to raise produce and livestock for personal consumption. ***** by Eric Cohen. 0 points, but a comment from Pierre about how double letters in Welsh are limited to rr and nn, but check my fave Evan Evans series by Rhys Bowen for more, such as ff&rsquo;s and ll&rsquo;s. *******************3] Attap, v. To bind bamboo, especially for construction. ***** by Nicolas. 2 points from Jean-Joseph, 1 point from Eric, and a demurred half-point from Pierre. Total of 3 and ½ points, unless challenged. **********************4] Attap, n. Corn, beans, and squash, cooked together and dried, used as food by Algonquian and Iroquoian people when traveling or going to war. ***** by Pierre with a total of 4 and ½ points. Two from Joshua and 2 from Jim, plus half a right answer from Pierre, unless challenged. **************5) Attap, n. Roofing material from the nipah palm. Found in swamps in parts of Malaysia. ****** Right answer. The word was found in a book I had on my shelf about Malaysia written by Mary Louise Clifford in 1968. We knew several guys from that country who were part of the URI Foreign Students Friendship Group our family used to be active in, playing soccer with some and meeting others around the state over the years. I believe they all have gone back home by now. Check out Attap Palm on Wikipedia for a short write-up and a nice picture. Oh, Ranjit got one point and Pierre got one-half point for correct answers. *******************6] Attap, v. [from odia atappo, to cook or stew in a closed pot, atap; a stew with prawns and vegetables from tamil attappi, to cook] to stew meat and vegetables after marinating for several days, a style of cooking in southern India and popular in some districts of London and Bristol. ***** 2 points for Hutch for his potted prawn and vegetable stew and English districts. From Pierre. **********************7] Attap, n. an apparently powerful blow that is actually harmless. v. to perform the attap. ***** Ranjit got one point for the correct answer, but no one liked his fake blow. I would have voted for it, remembering when my three boys were little. ***********************8] Attap, n. Coarse yarn made from corn silk. ***** Jean-Joseph gets 4 points, one each from Joshua and Jim, and 2 from Eric. I use corn silk as a tea, a slight diarrhetic if I am out of horsetail ************Joke def from Pierre: attap, oh, dear, can&rsquo;t find it in my pile of papers, can you re-send it to the group as you claim your Grand Winner status? BTW, JJ said all the defs sounded like mine, but I think the foods were written by big, hungry boys. Or Judith, from beyond the grave&mdash;sadly, she died in the late fall, in her late 80&rsquo;s! *******************************Thanks for your participation!   LInda

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 14:36:40 -0400

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 1:50:44 PM EDT [email-masked] wrote:
> 2] Attap, n. (Wales) The small plot of land permitted to a tenant farmer to
> raise produce and livestock for personal consumption. ***** by Eric Cohen.
> 0 points, but a comment from Pierre about how double letters in Welsh are
> limited to rr and nn, but check my fave Evan Evans series by Rhys Bowen for
> more, such as ff’s and ll’s. *******************

I said they're rr, nn, and llll, but the only word I know with llll in it has 
it straddling a compound word boundary. The first part ends with "drobwll", and 
the second begins with "llan" (as does the first). Ff, dd, and ll are not 
double letters in Welsh, but digraphs, counting as single letters.

Did you mean "diarrhetic" or "diuretic"? Which hole does it make water come 
out?

And here's the joke def:
attap, n. A repfume made fpom pose retals.

Pierre
-- 
Por H o por B, los campos magnéticos se difieren dentro de un imán.