Subject: cothurnuses (cothurnii?) (cothurnim?)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:58:42 EDT

Have at 'em.  All typoes are mine.

Votes due by noon ET Monday, 16 August.

cothurnus - (n) in medieval tapestry, a thread finished with a knot (See also 
athurnus)

cothurnus - (n) the practice of singeing the beard or whiskers with hot coals

cothurnus - (n)  1. a high thick-soled laced boot worn by actors in Greek and 
Roman tragic drama  2. the dignified somewhat stilted style of ancient tragedy

cothurnus - (n) a baked dessert consisting of a sweetened hard-baked shell 
filled with an almond-flavored cream, popular in the countryside surrounding 
Florence

cothurnus - (n) fermented beverage made from sweet nettles

cothurnus - (n) an entity which shares its thurnus with another

cothurnus - (n) improperly healed scar tissue containing pus

cothurnus - (n) summer thunder

cothurnus - (n) a dovetail joint secured with four pegs

cothurnus - (n) an ornamental bracket used for mounting a crucifix on a wall

cothurnus - (n) [Arabic quturnu, censer] (Alchemy) a vessel in which a powder 
is heated until it emits smoke or gas, which is then collected

cothurnus - (n) the raised edge on the pouring spout of a pitcher or 
decanter, designed to keep the contents from dripping down the outside of the 
container

cothurnus - (n) [<Mongol. _kutsurnu_, 'short battle sword'] stylized 
ceremonial sword carried by emperors of the Yuan dynasty as a symbol of 
authority

cothurnus - (n) the spiral shell of the cothurnum aeternam, a mollusk native 
to southern Polynesia

- MyS