Subject: chott and bagasse

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:59:13 -0400

Aussie's definition for chott turned out to be bagasse. As I wasn't around yet,
I didn't recognize it and voted for it. For the benefit of those of us who
weren't around back then (I joined during murnival), could someone post the
real meanings of those words? Some I can find in the dictionary, but some not.

phma

---

From: Jim Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 15:01:39 -0400

Pierre typed:
>The list is on http://www.kith.org/logos/words/fictionary/wordlist.html .
>Of these, I recognize:
>modesty: This was a variant round. What were the rules?

I ran this (and the other variant round a few months before that, which was
a different variation entirely); the word was a common word, and the
challenge was to duplicate as exactly as possible the actual wording of the
dictionary (I forget which one at the moment, perhaps Webster's New
Collegiate).

-Jim

---

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:01:41 -0400

>>xerclod - n. - A trapezoidal piece of spruce or hard balsa on the pod
>>section of a model rocket boost-glider that serves as a hook for
>>attaching the glider section.  [back-formation from the label "piece X"
>>found on early plan diagrams]
>
>I couldn't find this in the dictionary or on the Web, except on Jed's
site.
>Did someone sebaggle us?

I was the one who put that word up.  It's real (as is the etymology
listed), although it's used in such a specialized (and recent) field that
it's not surprising that it wouldn't show up in any dictionary.  As I
stated at the time, I'm sure I could find it in a glossary somewhere. 
And any heavy-duty competitive model rocketeer would know it.  I'm
pleased that it actually did show up in a web search.

Jean-Joseph