Subject: next next next word

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:39:42 -0400

Ranjit noted that he was aware that, "Nero's expedition up the Nile
failed because the water hyacinths had clogged the river, denying Nero's
vessels passage through the sudd of Nubia".  The definition is:

sudd - n. - An area of floating vegetation impeding the navigation of the
White Nile.

So the next offering will be:

STARTSY

Jean-Joseph

---

From: Will Quale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:58:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Jean-Joseph Cote wrote:
> vessels passage through the sudd of Nubia".

Cool!  I'd heard the round before, but never known *what* that
antipenultimate word was, nor how it was spelt.  Now I know, and knowing
is half the battle.  Evading the water hyacinths is, however, the other,
more difficult half!

--will

 [email-masked]  http://www.quale.org	http://www.strangehorizons.com

"i've gone to sweep cobwebs beyond the sky, but i'll be back by and by."