Subject: [Fictionary] Shivviness

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 23:31:39 -0400

Dear All,

Hah, victory by being everyone's second choice! Ranked Choice Voting FTW.

Hutch, I believe that cilices indeed can be rough enough to tear the skin
-- that that was the point of wearing them, not just to be itchy.
Mortification of the flesh, etc. However, even if I am wrong, I will tell
people that this is true.

If you know *shivviness*, please tell me soonish.

Best, David

---

From: Hutch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 02:16:31 -0400

My understanding of "cilice" was a leather strap with barbs that someone
wears as a reminder of Christ's scourging.

https://www.yourdictionary.com/cilice
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cilice

However, a look at the OneLook site suggests that this is a newer
definition. All the older dictionaries have only the "hairshirt" meaning.

BB,
Hutch

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCM/S d+>- s+:+ a++ C+++$ ULAC>$ P+ L+ !E W++$
N+ o K? w++++/--$ O? M- V? PS+ PE/- Y PGP- t++ 5?
X-- R !tv? b++++>$ DI++++ D G+> e++ h+ r--?* y++>

---

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2024 12:59:44 -0400

No one seems to know the real definition of *shivviness*! -- Please send me
your fake definitions by 6PM, Friday June 14.