Subject: Re: Andabate, andanine, andaten, and eleven!

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:08:09 -0400

>> andabate, adj. Related by remarriage, as a step-sibling, half-sibling,
>> or step-cousin.
> Elliott: Maybe I'm being led astray by AGNATE, but I'm going to
> give this one two points.

Without looking it up, I'll guess that an agnate is somebody who doesn't
have a jaw, and that leaves me puzzled.  Okay, I looked it up, and it
means related on your father's side of the family.  Not puzzled any more.
 Although I did see a guy on the subway once who appeared to have no jaw,
and every once in a while, that image comes back and gives me the creeps.
Now I'm going to be wondering if he's related to my father...

>> andabate, v. To erroneously write a character in mirror-image.
> Fran: I don't get this one at all! I hope it gets explained in the
results!

Little kids do this all the time.  First graders.  They write their N's
backwards, mix up their b's and d's, etc.

[The one situation where you *do* use an apostrophe to make a plural, and
I love have a chance to do so!]

Elliott: (By the way, yall, David's novel _Clovermead_ just came out!)
Cool!  And it's on Amazon (http://tinyurl.com/25xbp) and Barnes&Noble
(http://tinyurl.com/2ldw7).  Just ordered my copy!

Jean-Joseph

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:30:00 -0400

On Monday 07 June 2004 23:08, Jean-Joseph Cote wrote:
> have a jaw, and that leaves me puzzled.

You're thinking of your Aunt Agnatha. She's a hagfish, isn't she?

phma

-- 
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa

---

From: "David Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:10:42 -0400

Thanks for the plugs for my book!  For this list, I will mention that
one of my characters in his native language calls mercury (the element)
_hwanka-velika_; who here knows the derivation of this word?

This is my favorite obscure reference in my novel.  A fair number of the
proper names in the book are archaic, infrequently used, fictionaryish
words of one sort or another, hopefully appropriate in context.

David