Subject: [Fictionary] Sow there!

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 02:36:16 -0400

Ranjit has twice (that I know of) used the real def of a previously used word 
as his fake def, first gosport for limberham, then baubee for cumbol. So I 
decided to use the real def of a previously used word (raddle, 2001-03) as the 
real def. "Tiver" (rhymes with "quiver", not "fiver") is cognate with German 
"Zauber". How the meaning changed from "magic" to "red pigment" I don't 
understand. And as Fran won raddle, now she wins tiver.

One purpose of marking sheep is to tell who has been mated with. You put some 
tiver on the ram's chest, and it rubs off on the ewe's back.

Welcome new player Debra! I almost chorked on her land.

Pierre
---
Hutch: Oddly, I don't really believe ANY of these.

tiver, n. a handheld sower that makes a hole in soil, drops in a few seeds, 
and covers it with soil with one motion. A seed hopper can be carried on the 
chest of the user.
by Fran. 7
Debra: I'll take two points.
Joshua: 2
Hutch: How does it make the hole AND cover it ... in one motion? Again, I'm 
doubtful but I'm running out of possibilities: 1 point
Jim: 2 points

tiver, n. a kind of ochre used for marking sheep in some parts of England.
the real def, from Wiktionary. 6
Eric: This is a thing but I don't think that's the word? Still, two points.
Debra: I'll take one point on this def:
Hutch: Red-orange paint for sheep. I'm doubtful, but I'm running out of 
options: 2 points
Jim: 1 point

tiver, v. 1. to examine minutely. 2. in alchemy, to heat until reduced to ash.
by Eric. 4
2 for being on tup
Joshua: 1
Ranjit: 1 point
Hutch: I don't see the relationship between the two definitions. They seem 
almost contradictory.

tiver, n. tool for winding yarn into a ball.
by Debra. 3
1 for not being a keb
Ranjit: 2 points
Hutch: My mom is a spinstress, weaver, and knitter, so I know there is such a 
tool. However, for the same reason, while I can't remember what it is called, 
I'm fairly sure it's not called THIS.

tiver, n. a small amount of money.
by Ranjit. 2
Fran: 2 pts
Ranjit: portmanteau of "ten- or fiver"
Hutch: Someone is thinking of a "fiver".

tiver, n. [music; uncommon] a pulsating effect in an instrumental or vocal tone 
produced by slight and slow variations in volume; a slow tremolo. Usu. 
indicated by "tiv" in a score.
by Hutch. 2
2 for answering the raddle
Hutch: Mine. I think I was thinking of "tremble" + "shiver"

tiver, adj. 1. ready; prepared. 2. (fm. Occitan) loaded and tensioned, as in a 
siege engine or bow.
by Nick. 2
Fran: 1 pt
Eric: Nice. One point.
Hutch: "I see you tiver with antici ... ... pation" :-D

Jim gets 1 point for burning the sienna.

tiver, n. 1. one who has spent the summer fruitlessly. 2. a brewer of 
despicable ale.
by Jean-Joseph. 0
Eric: Lovely juxtaposition. One theoretical artistry point.
Hutch: People who brew despicable ale don't DESERVE a word. :-D

tiver, n. a narrow, conical mesh net, often used to harvest crustaceans from 
the sea floor.
by Joshua. 0
Hutch: How do you harvest crustaceans from the sea floor (generally a flattish 
surface) with a conical (generally circular) net?

-- 
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji

---

From: Fran Poodry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:50:05 -0700

Oh dear. Can we do a round in 3.5 weeks before I go on vacation?

Does anybody know CRETONNE?

-- 
*Fran Poodry (she/her)*
*Oregon, USA*

*“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” ― Margaret Mead
<http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/61107.Margaret_Mead>*