Subject: GRISON ballot

From: eLLioTT morEton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:01:35 -0400 (EDT)

Here they are, a sure-to-be-award-winning anthology of work by the likes 
of:

 	David RANDALL!	Joshua D. MACKAY-SMITH!
 		Pierre ABBAT!	Ranjit BHATNAGAR!
 	HUTCH!		Judith SCHREIER!
 		Fran POODRY!	Jean-Joseph COTE!

and featuring a special cameo appearance by

 		Oxford E. "Ned" DICTIONARY!

You have one week to vote.  Give two points to one definition, one point 
to another.  Comments, honorable mentions, and named awards are also 
welcome.  Offerings of verse and the lively arts are entirely appropriate,
as are ASCII graphics.

(Signed) E. Moreton, Secretary [L.S.]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

grison (n.) -- A vessel for storing excess cooking fat.  "We always had 
such fatty bacon that a normal grison was insufficient for a week's worth 
of drippings.  Mother used a crockery bean pot instead."

grison (n.) -- An inhabitant of the Grisons cantons in Switzerland.

grison (n.) -- A conglomerate found in Switzerland, consisting of 
seashells embedded in gray granite. Also called "graubund".

grison (n.) (rheology) -- A unit of viscosity used to describe 
shear-thinning or thixotropic fluids in the food processing industry such 
as ketchup or salad dressing.  See also: Grison viscosimeter, degree 
Grison.  Typical values for ketchup are in the range of 40-60 Grison, 
while Bleu cheese dressing can vary from 25 to 70 Grison.  Note that some 
ketchups are "plastic" fluids and their viscosities must be measured using 
a different method.  [Named for Eduardo L. Grison, who invented several 
devices for measuring the viscosity of food liquids while working for 
Analytical Food Laboratories 1979-1983.]

grison (n.) -- Tin disulfide.

grison (n.) -- Apathy; want of feeling; dispassion. -- "The grison of 
despair" (Macaulay).  [Fr. gris, grey.]

grison (n.) -- A falconer's protective leather or synthetic shoulder pad. 
"'Going about with a soiled grison,' they'll say about each other,
meaning unaware of their own glaring flaws."

grison (n.) -- A servant without livery, dressed in grey, for secret 
errands.  "I keep Grifons, Fellows out of Livery, privately for nothing,
but to carry Answers."  (Shadwell, _The Volunteers, or Stockjobbers_, Act 
II, Scene i (1693).)

grison (n.) -- A Cajun dish composed of cornmeal, with onions, okra, and 
various "odd parts" of a chicken.