Subject: WAMFLE results!

From: Elliott Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:26:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

With all precincts reporting, Eric's pillow basalt edges out Aussie's 
taxidermic suture to win with 9 points to 8 in a round that elicited an 
unusually large number of cryptic comments.  Haul it away, Eric!

em
______________________________________________________________________
Aussie supplied the following def for dessert:

Aussie:  "wamfle - The quantity of giggling nymphets that can be contained 
by one wamsutta sheet."

______________________________________________________________________
wamfle, v.  In taxidermy, to seal a seam with pine gum and press an
invisible closure by hand.
AUSSIE.  8 = Arthur 2 + Judith 2 + Fran 2 + Pierre 2
Linda:  "Sounds as if the writer has performed this task.  I've made bird 
skins(for study, not to look realistic) in an ornithology class, and all 
we did to close them was to sew them loosely.  Linda"

wamfle, n.  A walnut (regional)
RANJIT.  4 = Joe 2 + Eric 1 + Linda 1
Joe:  "Brilliant!  Masterful!  Elegant in its simplicity!"
Aussie:  "That is nice.  Crackin' wamfles.  Now wait, there is no reason 
on god's green earth why ... never mind, I don't like it anymore."
Hutch:  "I probably would've gone for this one if it had said WHICH
region."
Linda:  "Too easy.  It soundds a bit like Grannie Clampett's wamfle pies, 
which sound wonderful."

wamfle, n.  A sheath used to cover a golf club when not in use.
SNIBOR EOJ (i.e., JOE).  1 = Hutch 1.
Hutch:  "This one is definitely bizarre enough to qualify for a
point"
Linda:  "My son Greg uses old socks.  Linda"

wamfle, v.  To drop what is being juggled.
LINDA.  1 = Joe 1.
Fran:  "Honorable mention:  it seems someone would have known this if it
were true, but it sounds really good."
Joe:  "This appeals to me for some reason that I can't quite put my finger 
on."
Hutch:  "Tasty, but not quite there."
Linda:  "Mine, inspired by Wamba the Jester from Ivanhoe."

wamfle, n.  The piece of cotton placed in the neck of pill bottles to
prevent rattling and breakage
MELISSA.  6 = Fran 1 + Aussie 1 + Hutch 2 + correct guess 2
Fran:  "wamfle would be a perfect word for this if it didn't
already mean whatever the true definition is."
Aussie:  "Not true but inspired!"
Joe:  "I have a lot of trouble believing that there's actually a word for 
this."
Hutch:  ""The wamfle is falling out of my bottle of ibuprofen." I
like it"
Linda:  "WE need these! Some companies are cost-cutting by eliminating the 
cotton."

wamfle, v.  To "freeze" a cell in a spreadsheet by replacing a formula
with its current value.
JEAN-JOSEPH.  4 = Aussie 2 + correct guess 2
Aussie:  "Ooh, you know, it sort of sounds likely - good dorky verb."
Joe:  "I have even more trouble believing there's a word for this, and if 
there were, I'd like to think it would sound better than "wamfle"."
Hutch:  "Elliot's comment that his source was the OED makes me doubt
this one."  [Apologies, Jean!  I wasn't thinking.]
Pierre:  "Sounds too new to be in the OED."  [Agghhh.  Sorry!]
Jean-Joseph:  "By the way, minor foul for mentioning in midstream that 
this word camefrom the OED.  It could prejudice folks against definitions 
that don't look OEDish."  [Aaaagghhhhh!  Still sorry!]

wamfle, n. (Desc. name applied by Sir Aurel Stein.)  A Kalmyk
porridge made of sorghum, yak milk, and beer.
DAVID.  1 = Ranjit 1
Aussie:  "To quote Madonna: "...and monkeys might fly outta my butt""
Hutch:  "Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a yurt alert here!"
Pierre:  "Whoever made this one up deserves to be yurticated."
Ranjit:  "One yurt point!"

wamfle, n.  The handle of a Saxon plow.
JUDITH.  2 = David 1 + correct guess 1

wamfle, v.  To go about with flapping garments. Of garments, etc., to
flap, flutter (in the wind).
OED.  9 = Judith 1 + Melissa 2 + Eric 2 + Jean-Joseph 2 + Linda 2
Eric:  "Boring but plausible.  Leads to "wamfle, n. slang term for 
trenchcoat.""

wamfle, v. To attempt to speak while gagged.
PIERRE.  0.
Aussie:  "(snork!)"

WAMFLE, n.  Underwater rocky mound, of distinctive pillowy appearance
and mafic basalt composition.  From Western-Atlantic Mid-Floor Lithic
Extrusion, so named before examples were found in other locations
worldwide.
ERIC.  9 = David 2 + Arthur 1 + Pierre 1 + Ranjit 2 + Jean-Joseph 1 + 
correct guess 2
Aussie:  "It better be correct, it's tedious enough."
Hutch:  "This one's kinda boring so I'll bet it's right. Thus, no
points."
Pierre:  "One point for using the word "mafic"."
Ranjit:  "T.A.P.!"

wamfle, n.  A strip of moulding on a wall coated with adhesive for the
purpose of hanging lightweight objects.
ARTHUR.  1 = Melissa 1
Judith:  "Why is the wall coated with adhesive?  Is the moulding mouldy?"
Aussie:  "And catching flies!"

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:59:52 -0400

> ERIC.  9 = David 2 + Arthur 1 + Pierre 1 + Ranjit 2 + Jean-Joseph 1 +

Transportes Aereos Portugueses?

phma
-- 
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:06:49 -0400

> Transportes Aereos Portugueses?

Two Acronym Points!

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:58:03 -0500

>> Transportes Aereos Portugueses?
Topographical Aquatic Protuberance!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:39:16 -0500

I won!

It's been a very long time since I chose a word (partly, but not 
entirely, because I've hardly defined in so long), so there's a 
years-old backlog of fictionary terms over here.  Therefore this 
round will be run a little differently.

* Below, you will find three words.

* Please submit a definition for each word, or at least for
   as many words as you can.

* If you know a word, it won't delay the round -- just don't
   define or vote for that word.

It was very hard narrowing it down to only three, but this round's 
definees are:

     bishoping

     hodi-potsy

     rabage

Definitions are due by a eight days from now, the evening of 
Saturday, 24 October, U.S. time.

Additional poetry, drama, erotic memoir, and the like will all, of 
course, add to the round.

Have fun!

-- 
-- Eric |    <[email-masked]>

          ... and today, I learned why beekeepers don't wear shorts.