Subject: The Supersonica is...

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 06:46:28 -0500

Sept-et-le-va to the Billygoat, who was neck-and-neck with the Swift until 
Ranjit submitted his last-minute vote. If we had had a homing pigeon, I'm 
sure she would have won.

sonica, n. 1. A surface finishing technique consisting of a pattern of 
circular gouges produced by means of machine sanding with extremely coarse 
sandpaper. 2. The gouges thus produced. 3. The sandpaper used in this process.
by Jean-Joseph Cote. 7
2 points for winning the paroli
Kir: 1 pt from Kir, not because I believe it, but because I've done this to 
old cedar boards that USED to be inside my cabin, but in the course of the 
very-long-lasting remoidleing/replacing, are now in smaller pieces used 
outside around the lights and outdoor outlets... They look pretty nifty.  It 
reflects (but is smoother and easier to weatherproof) the original pattern 
left by the saw that cut the boards (some big ol' humungous circular blade, I 
figure)
Joe: 2 points.
Linda: Gee, I really like this one--I also like the swirly patterns on my 
ceiling made bu twisting a broom in the plaster.  Linda  1 point
Elliott: Jean?  That you?
Ranjit: 1 pt

sonica, n. Microscopic stress fractures left in glass by high-frequency 
vibration.
by Amy Swift. 6
Kir: 2 pts from Kir
David: 2 points
Linda: Actually this sounds the most likely--red herring?
J-J: Somehow that seems like a similarity to me as well.  But one of them is 
mine.  So could the other be real?  Hmm.  I guess I'm uninclined to go for 
anything related to sound.  Especially since I assume that these vibrations 
would have to be much to high to be in the audible range.
Elliott: Remotely plausible -- two points.

sonica, n. A memory of a sensory impression, esp. a vivid memory of a sensory 
impression, such that the stimulus is seemingly experienced, although there 
is no external stimulus; generalized from the recollection of a sound. [from 
Scientology]
by Jeff Hutchinson. 5
Judith: Two points.  I will believe anything about Scientology.
David: 1 point
Linda: This sounds a little like the AWAD "sequela", which is pain memory, I 
think?
J-J: I don't think anything from Scientology would catch on enough to be 
accepted.
Amy: Two points; wacky, but I like it.

sonica, n. A variation on the sonnet form in which the rhyme scheme is 
respected but there are no metrical restrictions.
by Ranjit Bhatnagar. 4
2 points for masse
Aussie: and one for the sonnet
Linda: I don't think my English profs in college would have told me about 
such heresy  (back in the early-mid 60's)(before all those revolutions).
J-J: Gets the remaining one point.

sonica, n. 1. A Czechoslovak floor-wax made from butter by-products. 2. 
(Brit. Comm. Party slang, ca. 1950--ca. 1980) A serendipitous discovery.
by David Randall. 4
Joe: 1 point, because I like the implication of the two definitions.
Linda: ****This is so ridiculous that it deserves a lot of credit for going 
first.  2 points from Linda
Pierre: They are in totally random order. It was seventh before I shuffled 
them.
J-J: Man.  If anybody except Pierre had picked the word, I'd say that there's 
no way.  Or maybe if Ranjit had picked the word.  It's a floor wax, it's a 
dessert topping?  Spreading dairy products on your floor sounds like an 
invitation to have a very smelly kitchen.  Can they afford to waste food like 
this in Czechoslovakia (or now in its component parts)?  And what 
by-products?  You put the cream in the churn, you go at it for a while, 
you've got butter.  I don't think there's anything left to throw out.
Elliott: From the legend, "The Three Apparatchiks of Serendip".  One point.

sonica, n. In the game of basset, a card that has an immediate effect on the 
game.
by OED. 4
Linda: Never heard of this game, but the immediate effect reminds me of 
something I just read in the Harry Potter take-off in Mad magazine, meaning 
that the obscure clue mentioned only once has the most immediate effect on 
the plot, not the obvious clues mentioned over and over.
J-J: Could be real.  Could be Ranjit.  I'll give it two.
Ranjit: 2 pts
Pierre: Conspicuous by its absence is the comment "This is very reminiscent 
of murnival."

sonica, n. A small zither-like musical instrument, easily held on a lap and 
plucked or strummed.
by Linda Owens. 3
Aussie: Two for the zither def
Judith: I'm not allowed to vote for my own definition, but this is *so* 
close... so can I give it one point without getting slammed?

sonica, n. Bulgarian and Turkish 3-stringed instrument, played with a 
plectron.
by Judith Schrier. 1
Linda: Sounds a lot like my zareba def and mine above.
J-J: That similarity knocks these two out.
Amy: Two musical definitions to choose from; I'll go with this one 'cause 
"plectron" sounds all technical.  One point.
Elliott: Is this a yurt alert?  I can't decide.

sonica, adj. Lively; spritely.
by Snibor Eoj. 0
Linda: Congrats for the only adj.
J-J: Can't get my head around this part of speech.

sonica, n. A female hedgehog.
by Ranjit Bhatnagar.
Linda: The male is a sonico?

Linda: Dear pierre, These are so varied that I am clueless, so I will vote 
for the most intriguing, as usual, awaiting the real answer and all the 
interesting comments.