Subject: Oh, what a mess!

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:08:15 -0400

Hoo boy...

Seems that when I sent out the forwarded version of the list of
definitions, I inadvertantly truncated it and left off the last four. 
(And Ranjit pointed out this error to me right after I sent out the
forwarded list, but I didn't understand what he was saying.)  So those
people who can't read Hutch's email never got to see the last bunch of
definitions, thus possibly depriving some people of votes for their
words, and also possibly depriving themselves of the chance to get points
if the real definition was among those last four.  And then Hutch sent
the results out to only me, apparently.  Ai yi yi, what do we do?

Okay, here's the complete list again.  If you're one of those people who
can't read Hutch's email AND you want to change your vote, then send a
note to Hutch ([email-masked]) Real Soon.  And then Hutch can decide
what to do, and send the results (possibly updated) to everybody.  And
I'll forward them, in case anybody can't read the message from Hutch.

Sorry about all this,
Jean-Joseph
______________________________________
>From Hutch:

I notice that no one could make this word into anything but a noun.

Usual voting rules: Give 2 points to the one you think most likely, 1
point to the runner-up.

----------

masdevallia : n. 1) a treasure trove or cornucopia, a sort of Spanish
potlatch 2) a semi-tropical viney plant with profuse pink to magenta to
maroon blooms 3) a festival of giving away old household goods to new
homes, so named for the flowery vines used to decorate the trays and
baskets and carts of the participants

masdevallia : n. a large genus of tropical American orchids whose flowers
have sepals fused at the base forming a tube; includes orchids sometimes
placed in genera Dracula and Dryadella

masdevallia : n. a creamy Italian confection, flavored with almond
extract

masdevallia : n. an exiled political leader with aspirations to return
home in triumph and establish a semi-dictatorial Catholic Socialist
regime; see Jorge Mas Canosa and Eamon de Valera

masdevallia : n. a large, flightless snail (Achatina loricata) native to
the Atlantic coast of Central America, prized for its ability to clear
blocked pipes

masdevallia : n. a repetitious dream about waking

masdevallia : n. a dance popular in Provence in the sixteenth and
seventeenth centuries, in which young men and women exchanged
handkerchiefs scented with their sweat

masdevallia : n. a flowering herb native to central and southern Europe

masdevallia : n. items left in the suitcase after a voyage

masdevallia : n. (Obs.) 1) any prosthetic device worn on the face or head
2) dentures

masdevallia : n. foodstuffs used for religious purposes, e.g. wafers
consumed during the Catholic rite of communion