Subject: [Fictionary] jugum ballot

From: Joshua Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:28:40 -0400

By 4/11?

jugum, n. one of the ridges commonly found on the fruit of umbelliferous
plants.

jugum, n, pl. [Sanskrit] the characters of the Sanskrit alphabet; alphabet,
letters

jugum, n. a ransom payment or proceeds from privateering judged taxable
income in a Court of Chancery.

jugum, n. 1. of a can opener, the diameter of the smallest can that it can
smoothly open.  2.  finesse; subtlety.

jugum, n. the layer of polymerized oil that forms on seasoned cast iron
cookware.

jugum, n. a device for carrying water, consisting of a pail at each end of a

pole carried on the shoulder.

jugum, n. (Louisiana, coastal Mississippi) a musical instrument,
particularly guitar, banjo, or bass. < regional Spanish "jugar" to play (an
instrument)

Joke Definition:

Steve McGarrett's catchphrase at the end of each Hawaii 50 episode:
"Jug'em, Danno!"

---

From: Joshua Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:35:45 -0400

Get votes in by Monday!

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 8:28 PM Joshua Randall <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> jugum, n, pl. [Sanskrit] the characters of the Sanskrit alphabet;
> alphabet, letters
>
>

---

From: Joshua Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:22:41 -0400

This turned out to be a pretty even round in terms of points, but Nicolas
won by one with his cast-iron definition - congrats!

Pierre: None of these sounds like a real jugum. I was expecting an
anatomical term in

the head or neck of an insect or vertebrate.

To Pierre’s point: During voting I realized that jugum does, in fact, have
an alternate def relating to a yoke-like structure in moths, but the
botanical definition just happened to be the only one in the book I was
using. Some examples of umbelliferous fruits include fennel, anise, dill,
and, yes, caraway.

plants.

Correct. Pierre 2, Eric 2 = 4

Hutch: Hmm, we usually eat the stalks or roots of umbellifers (carrot,
celery, parsley, and lots of others I don't know off the top of my head).
Don't know that I've ever seen a fruit of any of them.

Pierre: Two points and the kex award.

Eric: A caraway seed?

Nicolas: Doesn't seem Latin enough but I like the riff on xylem and phloem.

alphabet, letters

by Hutch. David 2, Ranjit 2 = 4

Pierre: Akshara.

by David. Nicolas 2 = 2

Hutch: Somebody went with the same idea as my Joke Definition.

Pierre: I'd expect a legal term like this to sound like Norman French..

Eric: IANAL (first time ever I've gotten to use that) but wouldn't that be
an Admiralty court?

Nicolas: 2 points for chancery

Elliott: Did they have privateering and income tax at the same time?

by Elliott. Eric 1 = 1

Hutch: I don't believe the can opener size, but I REALLY don't believe the
connection between a can opener and finesse.

Ranjit: Awarded the Elliott? Award. Also reminds me of someone who used to
like to say "We put the 'b' in 'subtle'!"

Pierre: A canner exceedingly canny

Was heard to remark to his granny:

"A canner can can

Anything he can can,

But a canner can't can a can, can he?"

Eric: One point, for being a term a person might actually need. Fun fact

(credit to my father), you can go backwards to negotiate tighter curves

(like a sardine can) with a roller-blade can opener.

cookware.

by Nicolas. David 1, Ranjit 1, Pierre 1, Elliott 2 = 5

Hutch: Seems likely that there would be a name for this, but I would expect
it to be something similar to "oleum".

Elliott: Is that what that stuff is?  I've always wondered what “seasoning''

does.

by Pierre. Hutch 1 + 2 for correct guess = 3

Hutch: Too obvious ... which, of course, makes it a perfect option for a
round layer to fool everyone away from it. [later] Well, I've eliminated
everything so I have to choose one of the ones I don't believe in. 1 point.

Pierre: I can see using "jugar" instead of "tocar" under the influence of
the local French dialect, but "jugum" doesn't sound Spanish.

Nicolas: Somehow, it’s going to be this jug one.

Elliott: This is the closest to Latin _jugum_ 'yoke'.  _Jugum_ survived the

word-vetting phase, so I infer that this isn't the real word but a

Latin-inspired fake.

by Ranjit. Hutch 2, Nicolas 1, Elliott 1 = 4

Hutch: This is really tempting. [after long thought] yes, 2 points.

Nicolas: 1 point for not how I would have pronounced it

Elliott: Jeez, what instruments does zydeco rely on besides fiddle?

Joke Definition:

Nicolas: Original or reboot?

On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 5:35 PM Joshua Randall <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> jugum, n. 1. of a can opener, the diameter of the smallest can that it
>> can smoothly open.  2.  finesse; subtlety.
>>

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:39:04 -0400

> using. Some examples of umbelliferous fruits include fennel, anise, dill,

Also stepmother's blessing.

There's a hymn whose Spanish version has the refrain "Por esto de hinojos te 
rindo mi amor". I used to parody it, singing "Por esto de zanahorias" or other 
umbellifers. I later found out that these hinojos are not fennels but knees, 
the usual word for which is "rodillas".

Pierre

-- 
Don't buy a French car in Holland. It may be a citroen.

---

From: Hutch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 23:26:07 -0400

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 7:23 PM Joshua Randall <[email-masked]>
wrote:
...

> by Hutch. David 2, Ranjit 2 = 4
...
"Yoga" comes from the Sanskrit for "yoke". So presumably the "yoke" meaning
from Latin and this from Sanskrit have a common origin. (Not certain, of
course, but it seems likely.)
...

> Nicolas: Original or reboot?

There is only the original. No reboot has ever been made!!!! (No matter
what's playing on CBS!)

---

From: Nicolas Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:19:07 -0700

I love the smell of fresh jugum in the morning.

On Apr 16, 2024, at 8:26 PM, Hutch <[email-masked]> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 7:23 PM Joshua Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

...

>jugum, n, pl. [Sanskrit] the characters of the Sanskrit alphabet; alphabet, letters

Pierre: Akshara.

...

"Yoga" comes from the Sanskrit for "yoke". So presumably the "yoke" meaning from Latin and this from Sanskrit have a common origin. (Not certain, of course, but it seems likely.)

...

Joke Definition:

Steve McGarrett's catchphrase at the end of each Hawaii 50 episode: "Jug'em, Danno!"

There is only the original. No reboot has ever been made!!!! (No matter what's playing on CBS!)