Subject: Oops! Re the epinasty conclusion

From: Jeff Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 20:03:26 -0600

Well shoot! I coulda swore I got this in. However, I seem to have voted
the same way as everybody else. So, the dictionary ends up with 9 and
Pierre with 7. No change!

BB,
Hutch

Jean-Joseph Cote wrote:
> 
> Here ya go, cast a two, and cast a one (hint: it's a noun), and
let's all
> hope I didn't screw up this time and leave out somebody's
definition.
> Get the votes in by the official finishing deadline of the 24th
Annual
> Billygoat Run.  (Okay, so nobody but Hutch would have a chance of
> figuring out when that is.  But I guess you could figure it out
with a
> web search.  Or you could just play it safe and send your votes in
> early.)
> 
> J-J
> ________________________________
> 
> epinasty - n. - A syndrome of unknown origin that causes hedgehogs
to
> lose their quills.

Quills, Part I - The Shedding

> epinasty - n. - The founder of a dynasty.
> 
> epinasty - n. - A wrapping, that which enfolds.
> 
> epinasty - n. - 1. The practice of crowding around someone engaged
in a
> delicate task and attempting to break his or her concentration.  2.
In
> the Byzantine Greek theatre, competitive ritualized heckling of the
> actors by members of rival craft guilds.  3. Hence, the benches at
the
> foot of the stage where the epinasts sat.

"Competitive ritualized heckling" Excellent concept! Sounds like what
ruggers and hashers do.

> epinasty - n. - A pen in which domestic porcupines are raised.

Quills, Part II - Prison Porkies Gone Wild

> epinasty - n. - A downward bending of leaves or other plant parts,
> resulting from excessive growth of the upper side.

Sounds good. 2 points

> epinasty - n. - A layer of felt just under the finished roofing,
used as
> additional weatherproofing (in a roof).
> 
> epinasty - n. - Skin graft.
>
> epinasty - n. - Government or rule by echinoderms; so called after
the
> fabled island of Epinas.

Quills, Part III - The Porcupine Who Would Be King

> epinasty - n. - That horrid spinach your parents make you eat
anyway.
> 
> epinasty - n. - A succession of elected kings, as in Poland.

I wondered if this (or something like it) might be the real
definition
when I was coming up with mine. 1 point

> epinasty - n. - A procedure in which small patches of bark are
removed
> from a tree in order to check for fungal or insect infestation.
> 
> epinasty - n. - 1. The practice of using heated wax, adhesive, or
tape to
> remove hair or bristles.  2. Any depilatory method other than
shaving.

Quills, Part IV - 

> ________________________________________________________
> bonus joke def from Ranjit: a particularly unpleasant hair-removal
device