Subject: [Fictionary] TROWAL results

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 23:06:02 -0400

Sorry for the long delay.

I had not thought y'all would go for the ridiculous meteorological 
acronym, but it was very popular! The "winner" is the real def, the 
tongue of warm air, with six points; it's a tie for the real winner, 
with both Joshua and Ranjit getting five points. If you two believe in 
Hutch's "imaginary tie-breaker point" then Joshua wins, otherwise 
discuss among yourselves.

General comments:

Ranjit: I changed my mind 3 or 4 times while assigning points. Nice 
bunch of defs!

Josh: Loved this one.

Pierre: I am discounting anything related to troth or trowing, 
including, of course, my own def.

Jed: I see that I wasn’t the only one whose mind went to marriage. . . . 
I don’t think I believe *any* of these definitions. I’m out of practice! 
(After voting:) The word really looks like a noun to me, but I like 
those adjective defs better.

Hutch: Several people thought of "pledging troth" so I'm not gonna vote 
for any of them. However, since I don't really believe in any of them, 
I'm just voting for the coolest things. :-D

---------------------------------------------------------

Jed

trowal, n. A pledge or promise, as of marriage.

1 = 1 Josh

Jim: The most straightforward entry, from troth and betrothal. But for 
that very reason I don’t buy it -- Eric wouldn't pick it.

Joshua

trowal, n. A ring of underground stakes built around a garden or other 
plot of land to prevent animals from burrowing in.

5 = 1 Ranjit, 1 Pierre, 1 Jim, 2 Jean-Joseph

Pierre: Rabbits, you have been warrened!

Jim: Nice image.

Hutch: A good idea, but I don't have any points left. Give this one my 
imaginary tie-breaker point.

Ranjit

trowal, adj. 1. Flimsy, shoddily built. 2. Better than what is at hand.

5 = 2 voting for real def, 2 Josh, 1 Jed,

Hutch

trowal, n. A large pestle-like tool used to muddle (crush) grapes for 
wine in northwestern Italy and southeastern France; mostly out of use by 
the middle of the 18th century.

2 = 2 Pierre

Pierre: Two points for muddling grapes.

Nicolas

trowal, adj. 1. Romantically involved. 2. (naut.) Overly knotted or tangled

1 = 1 Linda

Eric: I do enjoy the editorializing.

Fran

trowal, n. 1. A marriage contract. 2. The ceremony in which the marriage 
contract is signed by the parents/guardians of the couple who will be 
married.

4 = 2 voting for real def, 2 Linda

Linda: 2 points for the marriage certificate signing. This is a real 
ceremony in some countries, such as Germany, where some friends of mine 
met as witnesses, fell in love, and later married.  Beatrix and Juergen 
are still married thirty or so years later. With a grown son.

Jim: See my comment about the first entry.

Jean-Joseph

trowal, adj. Having imperfect symmetry.

4 = 1 Fran, 2 Jed, 1 Hutch

Hutch: Almost, but not quite symmetrical. Like most human bodies.

Linda

trowal, n. A guard dog.

1 = 1 Jean-Joseph

Pierre: Any particular breed? A cross between a tesem and a turnebroche? 
Or is this the name of the breed?

Pierre

trowal, adj. 1. Prone to beliefs, many of which are false. 2. Opinionated.

2 = 2 Hutch

Hutch: I think we have a political statement here: 2 points and a "huzzah!"

real

TROWAL, n. TROugh of Warm air ALoft, a tongue of warm and moist air 
often associated with heavy and/or prolonged precipitation (ch. Canadian).

6 = 2 Ranjit, 2 Fran, 2 Jim,

Jim: I’ve seen weirder meteorology acronyms, so I totally buy this one. 
2 points.

Jim

2 voting for real def

-- Eric   |   @GoudyBoldItalic

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 17:54:54 -0400

As a believer in the power of imagination, I don't think we should ignore
an imaginary tie-breaker vote in a case like this where it actually broke a
tie! So I say Joshua wins.

- ranjit

---

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 18:07:13 -0400

Nifty! We’re away from home, but I’ll get Joshua to send in a possible word within a few days.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 10, 2022, at 5:55 PM, Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> As a believer in the power of imagination, I don't think we should ignore an imaginary tie-breaker vote in a case like this where it actually broke a tie! So I say Joshua wins.
> 
> - ranjit
> 
> 
>