Subject: Re: Fw: Ranjit triumphs!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:16:43 -0500

I was actually thinking about "knock on wood" and I don't know the name for little "warding-off-misfortune" gestures so why not this word?  Does anyone know if there is a word for habitual gestures like that?
-Fran

>Lipoxeny The practice of kissing strangers to avert bad luck in case of accidental invocation of said bad luck.
>
>FRAN 0, sorry.
>
>This sounds like JJ Cote. Pierre
>
>Also clever! I wish I had 2 more pts. to give.  Ranjit
>
>Huh? I'm not sure what this means, but I think maybe I can use it as an excuse to kiss attractive women whose acquaintance I haven't made.  "(smmmmooch!) Oh, that was just to ward off the evil spirits, you know, lipoxeny..."  "(slap!)"  Jean-Joseph

---

From: "lindafowens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:31:12 -0500

Hi, the closest I can come up with is superstition.  Things like not putting
a hat on a table or maybe the religious gesture of crossing oneself when
confronted with a difficult situation????  Or spitting to seal a deal???
Linda  PS by the way, Arthur's 1 point vote for Pierre's natural fatty acid,
etc, multiple of 3 never got tabulated. Sorry. Pierre deserves one more
vote, so get out your red pencils. Pierre now has 7 points.  I was coming
down with a horrendous flu as I finished up the scoring, and I probably made
other booboos, so check for me.  It was a long list  (7 pp on my email) and
my server does not like such long messages, so I may have tried to send the
results several times, and duplicates may have arrived--I got the impression
that none could be sent, had erased several from my outbox, and was
wondering what to do next, when I got multiples in my box.  Well, at least
my flu is one computer-related virus you cannot catch from me. L.
----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Ranjit triumphs!

> I was actually thinking about "knock on wood" and I don't know the name
for little "warding-off-misfortune" gestures so why not this word?  Does
anyone know if there is a word for habitual gestures like that?
> >Huh? I'm not sure what this means, but I think maybe I can use it as an
excuse to kiss attractive women whose acquaintance I haven't made.
"(smmmmooch!) Oh, that was just to ward off the evil spirits, you know,
lipoxeny..." "(slap!)" Jean-Joseph