Subject: Re: Cumberground (fwd)

From: "Judith E. Schrier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:54:23 EDT

----------------------------Original message----------------------------
From: [email-masked]
>Cumberland, RI, is the home of Diamond Hill, the only source of
>cumberlandite in the world.  Cumberlandite is the "state rock" of RI.
I've just taken several geology courses, and now I'm fascinated.
Could you tell us a little more about cumberlandite?

"Formed 1.5 Billion years ago when a small volcano erupted and 24 different
minenerals mixed together with molten rock and when it cooled formed a slightly
magnetic rock that is iron rich.  Deemed sacred by the Nipmuck Indians and
used to make cannons during the Revolutionary War. Edge tools for farms and
workshops and other weapons were forged using Cumberlandite. Origionally
named Rhodose but was renamed Cumberlandite in 1966 by the Rhode Island
General Assembly because of its unique nature. Resolution #268. Found only in
one place in the entire world = Cumberland, R.I. 02864."

love, judith

---

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:55:53 -0400

>Cumberlandite ... a slightly magnetic rock that is iron rich.

Oh, swell.  Another dumb thing about that orienteering meet that I wasn't
even aware of.

Jean-Joseph