Subject: [Fictionary] capillaire results

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 18:40:46 -0400

Regards!

We had a clear winner this round, congratulations to Elliott and his 
serrated chisel. The real def is the fern-based syrup, and one source 
gives it as the maidenhair fern, so everyone who thought it was about 
hair got it right.

Apologies to Linda, I got her definition and didn't get it on the ballot.

Take it away Elliott!

General comments:
Pierre: As I expected, several definitions have something to do with 
hair. I'll vote for one hair-related def and one hair-unrelated def.

Real def:
capillaire, n. 1) A type of fern. 2) A sugar syrup flavored with extract 
of this fern, presumed to have medicinal properties.

Ziv: I would have given this my one point, because I can imagine a fern 
looking hairlike, but never would have thought of it -- so this is 
either correct or quite clever. But I laughed too hard at "bufflighs and 
oths" not to give it any recognition

Ranjit:
capillaire, n. the larval stage of a member of the order Loptaira (the 
insect order comprising bufflighs and oths)

Ziv 1, Elliott 2:	3

Ziv: One point for sheer delight factor.

Pierre: Ignotum per ignotius, Elliottum per Elliottius.

Elliott: Hee!  Nice lateral thinking.  Two points.

David:
capillaire, n. An executioner authorized to behead princes of the blood.

Ranjit 1

Ziv:
capillaire, n. A wigmaker that holds a Royal Warrant or other 
certificate of royal patronage. Particularly of suppliers of wigs to the 
British Royal Family.

Elliott 1

Elliott: Also nice.  Someone, somewhere, must make all those wigs for 
judges and lawyers in the UK and participating Commonwealth countries, 
and ten to one they're organized in a Worshipful Company of something or 
other; why not Capillaires?

Fran:
capillaire, n. A glass pen with a swirled nib.

Linda 1

Elliott:
capillaire, n. A serrated chisel used by sculptors to make a hairlike 
pattern.

Ziv 2 David 1 Ranjit 2 Fran 2 Pierre 2:	9

Ziv: Two points because I want this to be a thing, even though it's 
probably not

Jean-Joseph
capillaire, adj. Prone to losing one's toupee.

Pierre:
capillaire, n. A wad of shed hair used to bulk up a hairdo.

Nicolas:
capillaire, n. The shaft of a reedy plant in the genus Arundo. Typically 
used to refer to those species cultivated in southern France for the 
manufacture of musical instruments.

David 2 Linda 2 Fran 1 Pierre 1:	6

Pierre: I know that Arundo is used for making woodwind reeds; I wouldn't 
be surprised if it's also used for making woodwind bores.

-- Eric   |   [email-masked]

---

From: eLLioTT morEton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 14:20:40 +0000 (UTC)

> Take it away Elliott!

All right, let's start the bidding with

CATABIBAZON

If you know this word, please say so by Sunday at 9 p.m.

Regards,
Elliott