Subject: belated quat definitions, once more

From: "David Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 00:06:30 -0400

(apologies, again!  I've been awfully busy)

Jean-Joseph wins; take it away!

David Randall

Elliott's definition was

quat - n. [U.S. mil. sl.] - 1.  a dromedary courier, used by the U.S. Army
in the Southwest in the mid to late 19th cent.  2.  A dispatch sent by quat.
3.  Reliable secondhand information, as opposed to scuttlebutt.

Ranjit (2) + MYS (2) + Pierre (2) = 6 points

Hutch's definition was

quat - n. - an omelet pan with a folding lid.

Pierre (1) + Jean-Joseph (1) + Fran (1) + 2 points for guessing correctly =
5 points

MYS' definition was

quat - n.  - a printers' measure for the space indenting a paragraph.

Jean-Joseph (2) + Elliott (2) + Aussie (1) = 5 points

The OED's definition was

quat - n. - 1. a pustule; a small boil; a stye.  2. Applied contemptuously
to a (young) person.

Kir (2) + Aussie (2) + Hutch (1) + Judith (1) = 6 points

Judith's definition was

quat - n. - a river landing place or pier.

Eric (1) = 1 point

Pierre's definition was

quat - n. [Italian quatto] - a type of plaster used in friezes in northern
Italy.

Hutch (2) + Judith (2) = 4 points

Jean-Joseph's definition was

quat - n. - a unit of measure for dried salt fish, equal to 54 pounds.

Eric (2) + Fran (2) + Kir (1) + Ranjit (1) + Elliott (1) + MYS (1) = 8
points

E. Zuckerman's definition was

quat - n.  the meat of a pulpy fruit.

0 points

Fran's definition was

quat - v. - to suppress

0 points

Kir didn't provide a definition, but gets two points for guessing correctly.

Aussie didn't provide a definition, but gets two points for guessing
correctly.

---

From: Jeff Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 01:25:05 -0600

>Jean-Joseph wins; take it away!

To quote J-J from an entirely OTHER place:

     (J-J is punchy this morning, so...)
          [whereupon he proceeded to absolutely WHALE on somebody
          who had said something stupid]

Why do I think we're in trouble here? *L*

BB
Hutch

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk!  For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.