Subject: hoggin

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 20:59:38 -0400

A bunch of possibilities.  Tell me your favorite and vice-favorite by the
end of Thursday, June 5.
__________________________________

hoggin - adj - Musty or moldering; usually used of wooden buildings or
furniture.

hoggin - n. - A ham and banana milkshake.

hoggin - n. - (Chiefly British) Loose gravel paving surface, often used
for trails and squares, etc.

hoggin - n. - (Chiefly British) A feast held to celebrate a bountiful
harvest.

hoggin - n. - Jocular term for the Eschatophone (TM), a brass tube,
shaped like an inverted J, which on the short side ended in a flared bell
(opening downward to keep out the rain), and on the long side
communicated with a buried coffin.  The deceased would thus hear the Last
Trump long before his neighbors, and, assisted by numerous other
technical improvements, could rise early and go to the head of the line. 
(1923. From Charles A. _Hogg_, who claimed the invention and promoted it
in the U.S., plus _coffin_.)

hoggin - n. - A keg about the size of two demi-johns.

hoggin - n. - (Dialect variant of hogshead) A small cask.

hoggin - n. - A vessel or measure having a capacity of two quarts.

hoggin - n. - Half a hogshead.

hoggin - n. - 1. Fluid measure, approximately .68 pint  2. British copper
coin, in circulation c. 1350-1450.

hoggin - n. - The traditional pigskin sack (now more commonly leather or
synthetic) used by a supermodel to hold her diet pills.

hoggin - n. - A chest of drawers custom built to fit into a wall niche.

hoggin - n. - A small baked pastry, often stuffed with sweet sausage.

hoggin - n. - Southern dialect term for the stomach, especially of an
overweight person.

hoggin - n. - A short broom made of horsehair.

hoggin - v.t. - To process woolen cloth to produce a shiny compact
surface.
________________________________________

And one joke definition, which is basically what you'll find if you do a
Google search for the word:
hoggin' - n. - What Harley riders spend their free time doin'.

Jean-Joseph