Subject: REDD, finally!

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:12:18 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry I'm so late with these shocking, amazing fictionary results.  It's
been a busy few weeks, and when the government agents came to suppress
these results, I had to get a court order... you know how it goes.

With all precincts reporting, the winner, with eight points is -- The
American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, for
"to clear" and "a spawning nest!"  I guess I didn't fool you guys this
time.  Interesting to note, though, that EVERY definition got at least one
vote this time.

Anyway, the dictionary has declined to serve, so the crown goes to
MyS with 7 points for "to disentangle by means of vigorous shaking."
Take it away, Melissa!

-- ranjit

redd, n: a obscene image on a garment or tattoo,  worn to prevent the
wearer's picture from appearing in the news media.

-- Elliott: 1 (1 for correct guess)

Jean-Joseph: Nice idea.  But I don't think so.  Also hard to imagine
somebody running into a tattoo parlor, saying, "Quick, the cops are after
me!  I don't want my mom to see me on the six o'clock news, it would break
her heart! Gimme a big "$&%^*" across my face, and hurry!"
Linda: There should be a word.
Snibor Eoj: While I can believe that people actually do this, I'm
skeptical that there is a word for it.

redd (1), v: (chiefly Pennsylvania) to clear: "redd the dinner table"
redd (2), n: a spawning nest made by a fish, especially a salmon or trout.

-- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition: 8

MyS: 2
Pierre: 2
Linda: 2 - Like the first def--sounds right; like the second def, sounds
unusual; like the n+v combo
Jean-Joseph: 1 - One point by means of attrition.  Strange pairing of
meanings, though.  I think.
Elliott: 1 - Preposterous!  One point.
Elliott again - (After checking dictionary:)  Wow!  Very nice word, and
interesting etymology for the verb.

redd, n: an essential oil obtained from cedars by distillation and used
especially as a solvent and thinner for stains and varnish.

-- Aussie: 3

James: 1
Fran: 1
Linda: 1 - No idea, but it's almost time to repaint outdoor things. Love
that cedar--supposed to rid the area of negative thoughts, so 1 point.
Jean-Joseph: Isn't that "gin"?
Elliott: REDWOOD. Eric?

redd, n: a knot which gets tighter as you pull on the loops

-- Fran: 3

Amy: 2 - I think I have to go with the knots, here - hard to pick which to
favor, but I think it sounds a little more noun-y.
Aussie: 1 - Ooh I hate those redds.  Only one point, because after all,
most knots do get tighter as you pull on the loops.
Jean-Joseph: A lot of naughts do that, like the one you use to tie your
shoes.
Linda: This sounds lke a rick knot that disentangles if you pull the ends,
maybe after a vigorous shaking.

redd, n: a type of clay favored by sculptors for its texture and
malleability.

-- Snibor Eoj: 2

David: 2
Jean-Joseph: Which I guess would not be spanish, huh?
Linda: I love red clay for pottery--so smooth!
Snibor Eoj: Oops.  I somehow lost a comma in there.  Should've been "A
type of clay, favored..."  Oh well.  I don't think it'll really matter.

redd, v: to hasten, especially homeward.

-- Linda: 6 (2 for correct guess)

Jean-Joseph: 2 - This sounds like something Judith would know.  Two
points.
Snibor Eoj: 1 - I like this.
MyS: 1
Elliott: Sounds Randallian.

redd, n: leaves, twigs, and other plant debris that collect at storm sewer
drains.

-- Pierre: 6 (2 for correct guess)

James: 2
Snibor Eoj: 2 - Very believable.
Jean-Joseph: A bunch of green stuff, called "redd"?
Linda: What clogged up our roof gutter was a badminton shuttlecock!  What
a shot!

redd, v: to disentangle by means of vigorous shaking

-- MyS: 7 (2 for correct guess)

Fran: 2
Elliott: 2 - The process needs a name.
Amy: 1
Jean-Joseph: Yeah, right.  As if that ever really works.  Especially knot
when it's the aforementioned type of not.
Linda: A novel way of grooming the hair!

redd, n: the sound a sheep makes when it's being dipped in reddle dye.

-- David: 1

Pierre: 1
Jean-Joseph: I didn't get the impression that you had a vat of the stuff,
I pictured it being something you'd paint on, but what do I know?  And why
does the term "sheep dip" sound so strangely familiar to me?
Linda:  BAA isn't good enough?
Snibor Eoj: Baa?

redd, v: to disable a munition such as a land mine by immersion in, or
filling with, a corrosive liquid.

-- Jean-Joseph: 4 (1 for correct guess)

Aussie: 2 - "Redd those mines, private!"
David: 1 Jean-Joseph: Mine (so to speak), but I wonder whether this would
actually work.  Fill the thing up with acid, and what happens?  Does it
eventually explode?  Become inoperative?  Or is it hard to predict?
Linda: Always wanted to know how to disable a UXB, and now I know a
little.

---

From: Jennifer L Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:20:11 -0400 (EDT)

> -- MyS: 7 (2 for correct guess)

[snip]

> Linda: A novel way of grooming the hair!

I know what Linda's alluding to!  (And maybe Melissa, too?)
Recognizing that quote was my excuse for not playing this round.[*]

When I first ran across the line in question (in _Jane Eyre_), I
couldn't quite believe that a verb in its past-participle form
could end with two <d>s.  It made me think the thing was an
adjective.

--Jen, long-term lurker
       (probably last seen here as [email-masked])

[*] Now, I just need an excuse for not playing approximately 999
of the rounds before this one.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Jennifer Smith / Carrboro, NC, USA / [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:12:52 -0400

> Jean-Joseph: A bunch of green stuff, called "redd"?

So I'm colorblind. It would be brown anyway once it collected at the drain.