Subject: [Fictionary] bruck results!

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 23:20:11 -0500

The definitive winner is Ranjit, as apparently everyone wants a word for 
an architectural detail in an otherwise blank wall.

The real def is the bus that's also a truck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruck_(vehicle)

I was trying for a double-reverse, where everyone would think "Bruck? 
Bus-truck? That's ridiculous, that can't be right!" Didn't happen.

General comments:

Ranjit: I think I'll vote for the small bodies of salt water today. 
Based on the widely varying distribution of coastal distance, one of 
them is sure to be right!

Pierre: Two bodies of water; the rest of the defs are quite diverse.

Jean-Joseph: After peeking, it appears to in fact be the bus-truck 
combo, but the word originated in Canada, thus the vaguely British sound 
but the use of "truck". Looks like there are numerous other definitions 
for this word as well.

real def

bruck, n. A road motor vehicle with compartments for cargo and passenger 
transport.

5 --- Joshua 1, Fran 1, Pierre 2, Jim 1

Fran: Bus truck! 1 point.

Ziv: A bag-truck? I'm pleased I wasn't the only person thinking in 
portmanteaus (or should I say portmanteaux)

Pierre: Bus+truck. I'm giving this two points because plench turned out 
to be a
combination of pliers and wrench.

Jean-Joseph: The definition sounds vaguely British, yet seems to derive 
from "truck" rather than "lorry".

Jim: 1 point, mostly because of the stilted sound of “a road motor vehicle”.

Editor: that stilted sound is all me, trying to find a way to say "not a 
train".

Elliott

bruck, n. In Frisian legend, a creature, of uncertain appearance, 
perceptible only to those who do not believe in it.

3 --- Ziv 1, Linda 2.

Jean-Joseph: Could be Elliottesque. Certainly in the true paradoxical 
spirit of this Fictionary clique.

Hutch

bruck, adj. (Irish brú, hostel) Crowded, congested.

2 --- Jean-Joseph 2.

Pierre: Where does -ck come from?

Elliott: Maybe suggested by Innsbruck?

Jean-Joseph: I like the etymology. Two points.

Ranjit

bruck, n. architecture: A single window, balcony, etc., on an otherwise 
featureless wall.

7 --- Joshua 2, Ziv 2, Linda 1, Pierre 1, Elliott 1

Elliott: This is rather nice.  I don't believe it, but it's something I 
would
like to have a name for.  One point.

Jean-Joseph: I've see these, and they always look like a mistake or an 
afterthought. Isn't there one early on in the first Matrix movie, that 
Trinity dives through?

Joshua

bruck, n. 1) The annual migration route of the storm petrel. 2) An 
annual migration route over large cities.

1 (correct vote)

Jean-Joseph: Very glad to see someone from this crowd use the phrase 
"storm petrel" rather than the perplexing "stormy petrel".	

Linda

bruck, n. An antelope, now extinct, prolific in mountainous Europe in 
medieval  times.			

Pierre: Brocket.

Jean-Joseph: Medieval times weren't that long ago, so I would have 
expected that I would have heard of this if it had such a recent 
precipitous decline.

Ziv

bruck, n. A potluck brunch.

2 --- Elliott 2

Elliott: Of course!  What else *could* it possibly mean?  A portmanteau 
with another portmanteau inside it; a portportmanteau.  Two points.

Jean-Joseph: Will punch be served?"	

Jean-Joseph

bruck, n. A small saltwater pond located far from the coast.

3 --- Ranjit 1, Fran 2.

Elliott: Salty pool #1.  "Brackish"?	

Fran

bruck, n. Corn candy.

3 --- Jim 2, 1 correct vote

Pierre: I'm guessing this is candy made from corn, as distinct from 
candy corn, which is candy shaped to look like corn kernels.

Jean-Joseph: I think there's a brand of candy corn by the name of 
Brach's, I wonder if that was an influence here.

Jim: 2 points. Going with the simplest-is-best theory!

Pierre

bruck, v. In Germany, Denmark, and Sweden, to sort goods that arrive in 
port.

2 (correct vote).

Jean-Joseph: Seems like it would be easier to sort them before putting 
them on the boat.

Jim

bruck, n. A tidal pool that forms only during astronomical low tides.

3 --- Ranjit 2, 1 correct vote

Elliott: Salty pool #2. "Brackish"?

Jean-Joseph: Interesting that there's a definition that is similar, but 
also quite different from, my own salt pond definition.

-- Eric   |   @GoudyBoldItalic

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:45:07 -0500

Somehow I missed the email with the BRUCK results until today! I'll be back
soon with a new word.

- ranjit