Subject: [Fictionary] Groke--2 and 1 point guesses by April 12, 6PM, please

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 18:37:05 -0400

groke (n.) - 1. A large, stocky marsh thrush with a similar shape to the
blackbird, once commonly found in the Norfolk Broads but now endangered. 2.
A woman suited for hard, physical labor.

*Some men are remarkable for taking uncommon good care of themselves,
fastidious and precise and unobjectionable to all who behold them;  such a
man Groke was not.*

groke (n.) - 1. A self-serious martinet. 2. A horse that bites.

*"I am a determined character," said Mr. Groke. "That’s what I am. I do my
duty. That’s what I do. My flesh and blood" --- he looked at Mrs. Groke as
he said this --- "when it rises against me, is not my flesh and blood. I
discard it."*

groke (adj.) - Excessively sad of manner and speech; lugubrious.

*At the wake I paid my final respects to headmaster Groke, whose black
funeral garb seemed scarcely different from his quotidian attire.*

groke (adj.) - Forbidding in external appearance, but friendly within.

*On arriving before the battlements, I found the Union Jack flying and
the drawbridge up, but undeterred by this show of defiance and resistance,
I rang at the gate, and was admitted to the Castle by Groke in a most
pacific manner.*

groke (adj.) - 1. Meticulously clean. 2. Polished to a shine.

*"Groke-right and ship-shape! Ha-ha!" was Prencerbook's call every morning.
We were to tumble out then, and set to scouring until he was satisfied.
Besides this, there was assembly and prayers, before the dubious pleasure
of soured bread or, on the coldest days, burnt porridge, for us boys to
break our fasts upon.*

groke (n.) - 1. The Spitzbergen gray walrus, Cethippus griseus. 2. One who
smokes two cigars at once. 3. An ambitious bachelor clergyman who pays
court to the daughters of two different bishops.

*Thereupon the Reverend Mr. Groke betook himself, his cause, and
his mustache out of the amazed solictor's office and, with
seeming indifference to the December winds which played at leap-frog on
the cobblestones, waddled imperiously off to the Embankment, where,
having first perforated the ice with his tusks, he plunged back into
the Thames.*

groke (v.) - 1. To gaze at somebody while they're eating in the hope that
they'll give you some of their food.

*Thin-cheeked Sam Groke slouched up to the fire and cast his piteous eyes
upon me.*