Subject: Re: Who are you people?

From: "Catherine Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:06:22 -0600

Erm, I am a 49 year old, extremely rotund retired lady website diddler, dropout of many schools (including the U. of Hard Knox) and I am more silly and trivial than actually educated.  I was lured into fictionary by the amazing Ranjit. When I need to seem smart, I get my sister, who's an English prof, to do a bit of research for me, ha hah!
Aussie Meyer
Reply to: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:56:56 EST

Fran Poodry, 32, high school physics teacher and adjunct professor of physics 
(I teach one evening lab section) in and around Philadelphia.  Also, 
Swarthmore alumnus.  I started playing fictionary at the invitation of Jim 
Moskowitz, along with Melissa Shaner (Melissa and I were housemates at the 
time).  I've used the word cerumen A LOT since it was Melissa's choice early 
in our fictionary history.

Reading these responses to J-J, I think it would be cool to have a fictionary 
"un-reunion" (I don't think it can be a reunion if we were never all together 
someplace in the first place) to meet each other and hang out and play 
scrabble and boggle and fictionary and anagrams and other word games some 
weekend...sounds like Massachusetts is good for a lot of people...any takers? 
Or if people don't mind coming to Philly, how does summer solstice sound?

-Fran

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:40:42 -0500

Ah, is that how I got on the list?  I thought it had something to do with Fran.... And yes, Joshua, I probably enticed you here.

Melissa Shaner, 31, Swarthmore grad, Philadelphia suburbs dweller since then except for a miserable year in NYC getting my MA, currently Executive Director of the Theatre Alliance of Greater Philadelphia, Scottish and English dancer, and mother of seven-month-old Laura.  I have very long hair.

MyS

---

From: "Judith E. Schrier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 17:20:41 EST

I *think* I got into fictionary through a mutual friend
of Meg Muckenhaupt, but that may not be true.

I am a dear, sweet, little-old-lady (certified as such by the
state of RI, which gave me a card that allows me to ride the
bus cheaply during off-hours), living in Providence, RI, where
I edit a newsletter about laboratory primates.   It is available
at <www.brown.edu/primate>, which includes a link to a WONDERFUL
page about my amazing grandsons.

I have not been to several countries, but I have been to Russia
and Indonesia (well, Bali, which is not typical of the rest of
Indonesia), among others.

love, judith, long-ago veteran of the Words-L list

---

From: "lindafowens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 11:11:05 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: lindafowens <[email-masked]>
To: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: Who are you people?

> Okay, here goes:  I'm Linda, 58  (how did I get to be so old?), from
Exeter,
> RI.  David and I have been married for 35 years, and I wrote a humorous 19
> pp story for our 25th anniversary about our first date, which was in 8
feet
> of snow in Tuckerman's Ravine of Mt. Washington, NH, with a large number
of
> people present.  There were earth, fire, air, and water in abundance; we
had
> to sleep in a snow cave; and my old flame, who fixed us up, actually lit
> himself on fire.  Various old friends wove in and out of the story, plus a
> nun, a jeep/bus driver, and a guy who loaned me a warm jacket--celestial
> checkers?  At some point I was passing out bread  (and cheese) and David
was
> passing out wine--very mythic.  We have often said we have stayed together
> because the universe would explode otherwise.  Anyway, we have three
> wonderful environmentally conscious sons in their 30's and two
> grandchildren, all very close in spirit.  Besides being a Scoutmaster,
David
> owns and runs a car repair and restoration shop nearby  (he has degree in
> geology from Dartmouth) which I call "the other woman", and I have had art
> shows in NYC and sung at the Sydney Opera House with my chorus--two things
> that look good on a resume, but are kinda strange for a biology major
(Mt.
> Holyoke, on scholarship).  My favorite things that I have done in my life
> besides raising my kids, are having a minifarm, with animals, vegetables,
> and flowers from my father's grandfather's garden.  Also, I feel I was
> valuable to the community for volunteering with enrichment projects in my
> kids' classes, providing free art classes for neighborhood kids in both
> neighborhoods we lived in, and feeding any kids who stopped by and looked
> hungry.  I think I shall be best remembered for my cooking, or my true
> stories of how funny things always happen to me.  I got into this club via
> Judith, whom we met when she was leading folk dances at Brown U. and our
> youngest was 3 months old.  All we could afford then was two hours a week
of
> babysitting, plus the 25 cents each fee for dancing--when things improved
a
> bit, we got to stop for hot fudge sundaes on the way home.  Sorry for
going
> on and on--there is much more, but enough is enough.  Linda Owens
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2002 9:15 PM
> Subject: Who are you people?
>
>
> > So here at the end of the year comes time to ask a question that I've
> > wondered about for a while: who is out there in the fictionary mailing
> > list?  I suspect that in addition to the names I've become familiar
with,
> > that there are two types of lurkers: old regulars who haven't played for
> > a while, and folks we've seldom or never heard from.  But in any event,
> > I've been playing this game for close to eight years now with a bunch of
> > strangers.  So I'm curious as to who you all are (whether active or not)
> > and how you got hooked up with this eclectic bunch, and whether you all
> > know each other.  I'll start.
> >
> > I'm Jean-Joseph Cote (most people call me J-J), and I'm a 41-year-old
> > software engineer who lives in Massachusetts (although I started playing
> > Fictionary during my four-year stint in Boulder, CO).  Elliott invited
me
> > to play; I know him from when he was briefly slumming in the world of
> > engineering before he started grad school -- he signed on to do some
tech
> > writing for the company I work for, and wound up writing software (Clive
> > still uses the Excel partlister to this day, Elliott, but the weird
> > memory card interface went down years ago with the tattoo remover).  I
in
> > turn pulled Hutch into the game; I know him from orienteering.
> >
> > So.... who are you?
> >
> > Jean-Joseph
> >
> >
>

---

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 09:17:44 -0500

Pierre writes:
> The word in between was "nuchthemerinal"

Did I actually use that word?  Whaddya know?  I guess I should cross it
off my list of potential words.  And now I also need the results from
that round, if anybody has them.

Another useless stat: the fewest definitions ever offered was four
(including the real one) for "galligaskin", and the most was 18 for
"cypripareunia", which concidentally was also the one that introduced the
Jed "one-anna-two" voting system.

Jean-Joseph