Subject: A word

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:49:14 -0400

In the aftermath of the horrendous attack, I have come up with a word for it:

calloway, v. To intentionally crash an airplane into a building.

Thanks to all who responded, including Ranjit and David in Brooklyn. I have 
not heard from MyS, though. Too shocked to think of words?

phma

---

From: Jeff Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:16:26 -0600

Why "calloway"? Why not coin something like "binladen" or "tradecenter"?
(No, not callously joking. Just wondering about your reasoning.)

BB,
Hutch

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:07:15 -0400

> (No, not callously joking. Just wondering about your reasoning.)

Auburn Calloway was a FedEx pilot who several years ago was the first to try 
it. He booked a seat on a cargo plane, taking his guitar case along. Once in 
the air, he pulled a hammer out of the guitar case and attempted to bash in 
the head of everyone else in the plane, hop into the pilot's seat, and steer 
the plane back to Memphis, crashing it into the package sorting center. He 
did not succeed. The pilot, Jim Tucker, flew all sorts of crazy maneuvers to 
disorient Calloway, while the others pinned him down and banged him with his 
hammer.

When I heard about the plane that crashed near Pittsburgh, I figured that the 
passengers had overpowered the terrorists with the aid of the pilot flying to 
disorient them. That was pretty close to what happened, though when the plane 
was upside down it was because the passengers were trying to fly it and 
didn't know how.

phma