Subject: Zareba Ballot

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:36:05 -0700

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ 
     VOTE!   VOTE!  VOTE!
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ 

Vote for the zareba of your choice (2 pts.), and your runner-up zareba
(1 pt.), and get those ballots in by midnight Saturday, June 9th.

zareba - n. - An especially tight-fitting waistcoat, typically made from
shiny fabric.

zareba, n.  One who attempts to teach that which cannot be taught.

zareba - n. - [Arab.] An indefensible position (E.g., the fort in _Beau
Geste_ was "Fort Zareba")

zareba - n. (archaeology) a worthless potsherd.

zareba (n.) - the boundary of a shadow.

zareba - n. - a cold wind that blows westward from the Atlas mountains
in Morocco, chiefly in summer months.

zareba--n.--(fr. Berber) 1. the scaled horse of Berber myth.  2. the
name given to the extinct dwarf rhinoceros of North Africa by the
paleontologist Jean Claude Boulez (1864-1937).

zareba, n. [Farsi] The area on dock or shore where pearl divers clean
and sort pearls.

zareba (n) - chutney on toast.

zareba - n.- (Arabic zarIbah enclosure): an improvised stockade
constructed in parts of Africa especially of thorny bushes. 

zareba: (n) the sterile offspring of a male zebra and a female donkey.
       See also "bareza".

zareba--n.  a zither-like musical instrument originally developed and
played by Spanish gypsies. Similar instruments are found in many areas
where gypsies may have traveled or traded.  Especially popular in
ensembles providing rapid dance music.

zareba (n) - in ham radio, one of the unassigned bands on either side of
the emergency services frequency.

----------------------------END OF BALLOT-----------------

And from Pierre ("Mister Smartypants") Abbat, this morsel:

It means "at a medium time distance from two future", as in "mi damba do
zareba co'a zdani".

He provided further explanation:
Actually that's three words in Lojban - "za" is a tense marker, "re" is
two,
and "ba" is another tense marker. The sentence means "I will fight you a
medium
time before or after the two houses will start being lived in"