Subject: [Fictionary] BURLING ballot

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 18:56:10 -0500

Here are eight definitions, of which only one comes from a more or less
legitimate dictionary! As usual, please give both a 2 point vote and a 1
point vote. Get your votes in by Wednesday night, please.

burling, n. The activity of visiting shopping malls hunting for bargains.

burling, n. (Naut.) 1. Tightly coiled rope or cable. 2. A brewing mutiny.

burling - n. - stripped, washed, stripped, and dried jute fibres ready to
be woven into burlap

burling (v) Dressing or finishing cloth by removing knots, lumps, slubs, or
loose threads.

burling, n. a large, circular chamber dug in the center of a rabbit warren,
used as a nest by the highest-ranking doe of the colony.

burling, n. A customs official in charge of enforcing regulations on
foreign currency and currency exchange. (Fr. Russ. "болгяг", guard.)

burling (n.) -- 1.  A failure mode of lava lamps, in which wax stops
circulating and accumulates at the top due to a weak or reversed
temperature gradient.  2.  Obstructed turnover in rotating leadership
positions owing to a lack of willing successors.

burling - adj. - Reliable, trustworthy, dependable.

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:27:16 -0500

I probably won’t really get around to tabulating the votes until tomorrow,
so here’s your last minute voting opportunity in case you haven’t voted
yet, or want to sneak in a few extra votes and see if I notice.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 6:56 PM Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> burling (v) Dressing or finishing cloth by removing knots, lumps, slubs,
> or loose threads.
>
> burling, n. a large, circular chamber dug in the center of a rabbit
> warren, used as a nest by the highest-ranking doe of the colony.
>