Subject: [Fictionary] CHALICO ballot

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 12:20:36 -0400

Thanks for sending in chalico definitions! Here's the ballot - as is the
usual practice, please give both a one point vote and a two point vote,
allocated however you like. I'll tabulate the votes next Monday.

chalico, n. 1. A beardless youth. 2. An incompetent worker.

chalico - n. - a channel connecting two bodies of water that is navigable
only during extreme high water conditions.

chalico - v. - [fr. Chalico Sewing Machine Company, Long Crendon, Oxon,
1910-1932] to dress in stylish but inexpensive clothing

Chalico - n. - an importer of slaves from Ethiopia to the Deccan.

chalico, n. A large, shallow bowl filled with water and used for ceremonial
foot washing on Maundy Thursday in some Protestant Lenten traditions.

chalico, n. Any mollusk of the genus Concholepas used in South American
cuisine, resembling an abalone but actually in the murex family.

chalico (n.) -- A pancake made by ironing batter on a board.

chalico (n) - Protective dressing of horse dung, tar and cow-hair used in
boat building.

chalico, n. a small valet or porte-cochère on a side entrance to a
residential building, traditionally used by staff or domestic help.

chalico n., obs. A translucent paper used to protect illustrations in a
book.

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 12:40:03 -0400

Reminder to get your votes in for chalico by the end of the weekend! I've
received 3 votes so far, and I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure
that's not all of you.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 12:20 PM Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> chalico, n. A large, shallow bowl filled with water and used for
> ceremonial foot washing on Maundy Thursday in some Protestant Lenten
> traditions.
>
>

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 17:31:47 -0400

OK, I know I said the deadline was last night, but as today is a U.S.
holiday, I'm not gonna gather votes until tomorrow. Last chance!