Subject: Wayzgoose votes and definitions

From: "David Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:49:31 -0400

Joe is first with 11 points; Ranjit second with 8; nobody else got more than
4.  Not one 2 or 1 point guess was attributed to the OED definition!--David

wayzgoose - n. - A grease used for coating mothballed military equipment to
protect from rust or other corrosion.

FRAN: Jean-Joseph (2) + Judith (1) + Linda (1) = 4

wayzgoose - n. - A measure of length, now little used, varying in different
countries: in England equal to 45 inches.

ERIC = 0

wayzgoose - n. - (fr. Icelandic) An elderly shaman.

JUDITH = 0

wayzgoose - n. - orig.  An entertainment given by a master-printer to his
workmen in August, marking the beginning of the season of working by
candle-light.  Later, an annual festivity held in summer by the employees of
a printing establishment, consisting of a dinner and (usu.) an excursion
into the country.

OED = 0

wayzgoose - n. - An ointment prepared from tumbleweed seed oil and jojoba
oil.

PIERRE = 0

wayzgoose (way-zhoos) - n. - In certain South American tribes, a god-like
leader figure.  Pidgin corruption of Jesus, after the arrival of Spanish
missionaries.

JOE: Aussie (2) + Judith (2) + Eric (2) + Linda (2) + Elliott (2) + Arthur
(1) = 11

wayzgoose - n. - One of a pair of geese yoked together, often pulling a
small cart, for the purpose of weeding between garden rows or along the side
of the road or path.

LINDA: Fran (2) + Hutch (1) = 3

wayzgoose - adj. - (Appalachian dialect) Restless, distracted.

RANJIT: Hutch (2) + Joe (2) + Pierre (2) + Eric (1) + Jean-Joseph (1) = 8

wayzgoose - n. - 1.  Slippery clay used to lubricate the slipway in an
oyster mill.  2.  Hence, minor concessions offered by management to labor in
advance of a major demand.  ("'The Suffrage?', said one miner, to the
general approbation of his fellows.  'That's wayzgoose, that is.  What are
the b-----s going to ram down our throats now, I want to know.'" -- London
Times, Jan. 1914)

ELLIOTT: Arthurs (2) + Fran (1) + Pierre (1) = 4

wayzgoose - v. - To travel in a reverse or opposite direction. From Whay's
Goose, originally (and incorrectly) reported to migrate north in winter and
south in spring.

HUTCH: Aussie (1) + Joe (1) + Elliott (1) = 3

---

From: "Judith E. Schrier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:20:27 EDT

>a printing establishment, consisting of a dinner and (usu.) an excursion

<sigh>...I've been in the "printing industry" most of my life now,
and I've *NEVER* been invited to such an event!

love, judith

Judith E. Schrier, Editor              Laboratory Primate Newsletter
[email-masked]                      Box 1853, Psychology Department
Telephone:  401-863-2511               Brown University
FAX:  401-863-1300                     Providence, RI 02912
On the WWW:  http://www.brown.edu/primate/

---

From: "lindafowens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:07:09 -0400

This is amazing, as I was a printmaker for years and knew a lot of "real"
master printmakers, and I never heard of this tradition--of course, this is
not the Old Country. Linda
----- Original Message -----
From: Judith E. Schrier <[email-masked]>
To: David Randall <[email-masked]>; Fictionary
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: Wayzgoose votes and definitions