Subject: much delayed fictionary

From: "David Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:18:52 -0500

I apologize, I lost track of the game there.  Linda, thank you for reminding
me.  The winner is Judith.  The votes and definitions are:

OED

 laura--[a. Gr. lane, passage, alley]  n.--Christian Antiq.  An aggregation
of detached cells, tenanted by recluse monks under a superior, in Egypt and
elsewhere.

Elliott (2) + Kir (1) + MYS (1) = 4 points

ELLIOTT

laura --n.--An easily guessable password.

Aussie (1) + (2) for correct guess = 3 points

JOE

laura--n.-- An object hung from the ceiling for decorative purpose, rather
than being used for its intended function.

MYS (2) + Ranjit (2) = 4 points

PIERRE

laura--n.--Also lowra. 1. An umbelliferous herb, Anuragus gargatus, grown
mostly in Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat. 2. The resin of this herb, used in
Ayurvedic medicine to treat wind ailments.

0 points

JUDITH

laura--n.--A song in honor of an individual or event.

Aussie (2) + Jean-Joseph (2) + Joe (2) + Linda (2) = 8 points

RANJIT

laura--n.--British slang (during the second World War) for a barrage
balloon.

Elliott (1) + Jean-Joseph (1) = 2 points

JEFF

laura--adj.--Delicately scented.

Linda (1) = 1 point

LINDA

laura--n.--In Roman times, a woman who was honored for her various special
gifts, to be decided by the Senate or Emperor, by being allowed to wear a
crown of laurel leaves in public.  Such women, usually wives and mothers,
were prized and given material gifts. They were protected by all of the
goddesses.

Jeff (1) + Joe (1) = 2 points

JEAN-JOSEPH

laura--n.--Soapstone.

Jeff (2) + Kir (2) + Ranjit (1) = 5 points

---

From: "Judith E. Schrier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:35:41 EST

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:18:52 -0500 David said:
>me.  The winner is Judith.

Good grief.  And I wasn't even around for the voting...

I'll be with you in a little while...

No, here...try
LOPHOPHORE
See if someone already knows that...

love, judith