Subject: CACKLE-BLADDER: ballot!

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:48:14 -0500 (EST)

Some thirteen cackle-bladders have we here, so if you plan to write a
sonnet first, you need just one more line to sum it up.  But don't forget
to vote: one point and two!

cackle-bladder (n.) - A derogatory term for bagpipes, or one who plays the
bagpipes.

cackle-bladder - n. - The morning edition of a newspaper that is published
twice daily

cackle-bladder n. an expandable water pouch carried by aboriginal
peoples of Australia, which is made from the bladder of an emu.

the cackle-bladder.  A method of blowing off recalcitrant or dangerous
marks after they have been fleeced.  The insideman shoots the roper with
blank cartridges on the pretense that the roper has ruined both the mark
and the insideman.  He then hands the mark the gun, while the roper spurts
blood on the mark from a rubber bladder he holds in his mouth.  The mark
flees, thinking he is an accessory to murder.  The insideman keeps in
touch with him for some time and sends him to various cities on the
pretext of avoiding arrest.  Cf. to cool a mark out.

cackle-bladder (n) - a jester's wand, made of a pig's bladder tied to a
stick, mimicking the scepter of a king

cackle-bladder, n. (Swiss German Kachelblatter) The leaves of chick-peas,
used as fodder after the chick-pea harvest.

cackle-bladder - Early Celtic version of the Bagpipes. Cackle-bladder is a
bag that is made of goat intestines which has a round stone ring attached
to one end. This ring has a bar across the middle and a piece of parchment
attached to one side of the circle. The bag is filled with air, placed
under the arm and gently squeezed. When the air moves out of the end where
the ring and parchment is where it then makes a cackling sound (high
shrill).

cackle-bladder--n.--[Scots dialect] parsnips

cackle-bladder, n.  a reddish-brown Medieval dye made from rooster wattles
and combs.  Becomes more orange if alum is used as a mordant with cotton.
Becomes more purple if vinegar is the mordant on wool.  cf. Lamb's bleat,
bishop's mole.

cackle-bladder (n.) - the sac which enables a living shark to maintain
neutral buoyancy, and which acts as a whoopee-cushion when removed by a
fisherman and dried to a chamois-like texture.

cackle-bladder (n.) A small frog (Rana arias) found in the eastern United
States, known for its stuttering call.

cackle-bladder - n. - (archaic) stress incontinence found in older women,
brought on by laughter.

Cackle-bladder (n):  A weed of the milkweed family, Asclepias polygala.
The seed pods burst with a characteristic "cackle" sound.

Bonus joke def:

cackle-bladder? (v.) - I hardly know 'er!