Subject: The Revenge of "paphian"

From: Jeff Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:52:02 -0600

An odd and wonderful compilation of whimsy: Which is truth? Only time
will tell (say next Monday, August 2, 1999).

paphian - adj - covered with a fine protective powder, as butterfly wings

paphian - n - 1 a purveyor of base pleasures to private soldiers 2 a
condemned man who by fortune survives execution
[Both senses from Paphian, a citizen of Athens, sentenced to die in
connection with the mutilation of the Hermae. Three volleys were fired
but not a single arrow found its mark. Thus exonerated by miraculous
intervention, he was released, and died old and very wealthy. The story
is related by Thucydides (IX:4).]

paphian - adj - (med) pertaining to the skin area covered by the overhang
of a recumbent breast

paphian - n - the white smoke which heralds the election of a new pope

paphian - n - (Hind) minor spirit; a deva

paphian - n - a Vatican functionary, usu entrusted with menial tasks
meant to take on a meditative aspect

paphian - adj - 1 of or relating to Paphos or its people 2 of or relating
to illicit love, wanton - n 3 a native or inhabitant of Paphos 4
prostitute

paphian - adj - susceptible to sensual enthusiasms

paphian - adj - 1 having second toes that are longer than the first toes
2 belonging to the nobility

paphian - adj - characterized by an abundance of prickly extrusions

paphian - adj - sensuous

___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.