Subject: Re: [Fictionary] Ballot Results--attap.

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 20:29:51 GMT

Pierre, I meant the diuretic that flushes the kidneys ever so gently.  My fingers used the other word and spell check didn't' alert me, alas.  Not being a linguist, I didn't know what digraphs were, but do now.  I was trying to learn a bit of Welsh before David and I went there for a few days a while back--his grandfather is from somewhere there, but left for the US from Manchester, England long ago.  Became a Methodist and got away from the family drunkenness a la Dylan Thomas, or so the story goes. We stayed in Colwynne Bay, a place our granddaughter is named for--we also have a Snowdon for a grandson.  Our son Greg was enamored of Wales because of several Welsh friends from college, plus he and his wife went on a sort of . honeymoon there.  Bore Da! means hello, and Prynhawn Da means good afternoon. Friendly place.   LInda.     

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fictionary] Ballot Results--attap.
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 14:36:40 -0400

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 1:50:44 PM EDT [email-masked] wrote:
> 2] Attap, n. (Wales) The small plot of land permitted to a tenant farmer to
> raise produce and livestock for personal consumption. ***** by Eric Cohen.
> 0 points, but a comment from Pierre about how double letters in Welsh are
> limited to rr and nn, but check my fave Evan Evans series by Rhys Bowen for
> more, such as ffâ&euro;&trade;s and llâ&euro;&trade;s. *******************

I said they're rr, nn, and llll, but the only word I know with llll in it has 
it straddling a compound word boundary. The first part ends with "drobwll", and 
the second begins with "llan" (as does the first). Ff, dd, and ll are not 
double letters in Welsh, but digraphs, counting as single letters.

Did you mean "diarrhetic" or "diuretic"? Which hole does it make water come 
out?

And here's the joke def:
attap, n. A repfume made fpom pose retals.

Pierre
-- 
Por H o por B, los campos magnÃ©ticos se difieren dentro de un imÃ¡n.