Subject: A Fistful of Alabandical

From: Hutch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:23:41 -0700

Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy day here!

David's 'demon decoy' took an early lead, but J-J's 'amnesia potion'
came on strong late. ... But not strong enough. David Randall's
convoluted and (I thought!) rather unbelievable definition is adored
by The Masses.

I found it very interesting that one over-the-top definition got lots
of points, while the other (Elliott's 'absurd but attainable'--we
*need* a word for this ... or maybe we need that Society! :) got
nothing. What gives?

And a final comment from eLLioTT: "What a great word! Locally
familiar, globally confusing."

Mr. Randall: Take it away!

BB,
Hutch

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCM/IT/S d(+-) s+: a C++$>++++ U P L E? W+$+++ N+ o? K? w+>++++ O? M-
V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP-(--) t+ 5? X? R+ !tv b++++ DI++ D+ G e++>++++ h+ r--*
y--(++)
-------END GEEK CODE BLOCK-------

P.S. I commented that the Subject: of one of my e-mails--"It's time to
get alabandical"--was "amusing at the moment". A few seconds before I
sent it out, a co-worker commented, "It's beer-thirty!" and I agreed.
Then, I looked at the Subject: I had written more than an hour earlier
and had to laugh: Yes, "beer-thirty" is indeed "time to get
alabandical".

P.P.S. And Pierre said, in an unknowingly amusing comment, "I've been
so busy drawing stuff that is due on Monday that I haven't had time to
alabandicate." Well, we would certainly hope you wouldn't be drinking
while drawing stuff that's due on Monday. :)

==========

alabandical n. a potion intended to induce partial amnesia, typically
self-administered.
by Jean-Joseph Cote
6 points (Fran 2, Ranjit 2, correct guess 2)

Judith Schrier: like alcohol?
eLLioTT morEton: Side effects include impaired speech articulation,
which is why this word is often pronounced "alcohol".
Ranjit Bhatnagar: I like that idea, and hope that every dose of
alabandical comes with a big, brightly colored sticker you can put on
your bathroom mirror that says, "I ALREADY TOOK THE ALABANDICAL."
Though leaving that out would help with repeat sales.

*****

alabandical adj. Of or related to alabandics, the practice of
bundling; n. any table or handbook of bundling data or techniques.
by Ranjit Bhatnagar
2 points (Pierre 2)

Judith Schrier: [Ed: amusingly enough, Judith included the following
as a joke fictionition] alabandical - adj. - Having the qualities of
an alaband. ... No, huh?
Pierre Abbat: This sounds plausible, though why there would be an
obscure term for "bundling", I don't know. Two points.
Jean-Joseph Cote: I would have hoped to have heard of this, in my line
of education and work, if it were true. And I'll probably be
embarrassed when it turns out to be.

*****

alabandical adj. Marked by surprising or inappropriate bravery.
	... Then alabandical he leapt foremost
	To beard the raging Turk 'mid his corsairs.
by Eric
3 points (Elliott 1, correct guess 2)

Judith Schrier: Wouldn't those be the same? [Ed: referring to "drunk" def]
eLLioTT morEton: 1 point for surprising bravery and verse. I think
"midst" would have been better, though. [Ed: I agree]
Jean-Joseph Cote: Not bad. If I had any more, I'd grant this points.

*****

alabandical adj. barbarous; stupefied from drink
_Forthright's Phrontistery: Obscure Words and Vocabulary Resources:
Compendium of Lost Words_ <http://phrontistery.50megs.com/clw.html>

Judith Schrier: Wouldn't those be the same? [Ed: referring to "bravery" def]
fictioneric: Two points. Boring but plausible.
Pierre Abbat: One point. Many people behave with wild alabandon when
they get drunk.
Jean-Joseph Cote: I think the two words with the most synonyms in the
English language are probably "prostitute" and "drunk". Since I don't
see any harlots in this round, I'll give my two points to this
poo-poo-faced definition. Might as well play the odds. [Ed: ... and
the odds come in]

*****

alabandical adj. Pertaining to the use of land, formerly used to grow
illegal crops, to grow medicinal plants.
by Pierre Abbat
1 points (correct guess 1)

eLLioTT morEton: ALLO- plus CONTRABAND?
Jean-Joseph Cote: Now there's an obscure practice to hang a name on!

*****

alabandical adj. Oversimplified to the point of incorrectness
by Fran Poodry
4 points (Judith 2, Eric 1, Ranjit 1)

Judith Schrier: Oh, give it 2 points.  It's so wonderfully ... uh ...
simplified.
fictioneric: One point, useful concept.
Ranjit Bhatnagar: Surely it's more complex than that! 1 point.

*****

alabandical n. (medieval Eur. magical lore) an homunculus made of
alabaster; used as a decoy when summoning elder demons.
by david randall
7 points (Judith 1, Elliott 2, Fran 2, correct guess 2)

Judith Schrier: Oh, I like this!  Give it a point because it's beautiful.
eLLioTT morEton: 2 point for the idea of demon decoys, and of easily
deceived elder demons. There does seem to be a lot of lore around to
the effect that demons and gods and spirits and so on can easily be
fooled by, e.g., dressing up in a bear costume, or giving a boy a
girl's name. But why alabaster?
Fran Poodry: 2 points:
Jean-Joseph Cote: I like it because somebody was thinking like me and
went for a noun. And I'm imagining these elder demons to me getting to
the point that they need glasses, and can be fooled by a cheap statue.
Just like ducks: "Hey look, there's a haunting, let's join in!". But I
dislike the use of "an" before a non-silent 'h', and thus give this
definition no points! [Ed: Really? I've heard "homonculus" most often
pronounced with a silent "h".]

*****

alabandical n. Alabandical Society: a society founded by Oxford
undergraduates in 1867 to "encourage the undertaking and fulfillment
of sworn quests among all orders of society." [A fanciful neologism.]
- adj. - Characterized by arduous pursuit of an absurd but attainable
goal; as, an alabandical enterprise, policy, etc.
	1876 (Trollope, Prime Minister) His friend Mr Palliser's no less
	alabandical project of decimal coinage.
	1950 (A.M. Turing, Mind) A few years ago one would have agreed
	that an exhaustive enumeration was not merely alabandical, but
	altogether impossible.
by eLLioTT morEton
0 points

Jean-Joseph Cote: The other noun. But it just seems a bit too extensive...

*****

alabandical adj. smooth and rich, with a hint of hot pepper (of food).
by Judith Schrier
2 points (David 1, Jean-Joseph 1)

Judith Schrier: I *think* this was mine...it's been quite a while,
hasn't it? [Ed: It is; it has.]
Jean-Joseph Cote: Well, sounds tasty to me. One point.

==========

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:44:08 -0500

> Jean-Joseph Cote: Now there's an obscure practice to hang a name on!

I came up with this def while reading on leslietaylor.net or rain-tree.com 
(Leslie Taylor founded Raintree and has an interesting and fun website) about 
land that was formerly used to grow coca, but is now planted with jergón 
sacha, a medicinal plant in the arum family.

phma

---

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:57:53 -0500

>convoluted and (I thought!) rather unbelievable definition is adored
Bless them masses!  I didn't think it was very believable either.  
You'll notice I didn't vote for it.  I apologize for the misspelling of 
homunculus.

>But why alabaster?
Well, the Egyptians had alabaster canopic jars, so alabaster is thought 
to contain life ... buying this yet?

Anyone know materteral?  If not, 2 and 1 point definitions please, by 
the end of Friday, Dec. 16.

David Randall

---

From: Fran Poodry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:31:56 -0500

Um, I may have indulged in a potion inducing partial amnesia (usually I
stick to tea) but I was sure I had only one "2 point" vote and my other vote
was only one point...  Not that it matters...
-Fran

> 6 points (Fran 2, Ranjit 2, correct guess 2)

***

---

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:45:24 -0500

Materteral was quickly shot down.  There aunt no justice.  Now we try

musterdevillers

same rules, same deadline

david