Subject: The OED guesses correctly (WAS) Re: TURNDUN results

From: "E Zuckerman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:42:41 -0700

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:48:59   Elliott A Moreton wrote:
>A flattish, fish-shaped piece of wood fastened by one end to a thong
>and whirled to make a penetrating noise.
>BY OED
>POINTS 5 = Judith 2, MyS 1, + 2 for guessing the right answer.  (The
>OED always guesses the right answer.)
>
   But... but... but that's *CHEATING*!  The
rest of us can't check the dictionary, why
should the OED get to check the dictionary?

EZ

P.S.:  Yeah, I agree with myself about how
close the voting was.   %-}

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
Before you buy.

---

From: Elliott A Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

> should the OED get to check the dictionary?

Us humans are barred not only from using the dictionary, but from 
searching the web, consulting an encyclopedia, asking a philologist, or 
doing anything else uncricket.  I think the correct generalization here 
is that you can't use *someone else's* knowledge.  The OED is relying on 
its own resources, quite properly.

If the OED can be reproached for anything, it is for failing to 
flag the word as known when the word was first proposed.  But we have to 
allow that if we want the OED to play with us at all.

em

---

From: Jim Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:00:11 -0400

Of course the problem will come when the OED wins and has to choose the new
word.  Sure, it _knows_ lots of obscure words, but dictionaries are
notoriously incapable of _choosing_ one...

J

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:24:45 -0400

If the OED gets two points for guessing correctly, it would also have to be
docked five points for voting for its own definition. And what is its one-point
vote?

phma

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:09:41 -0700

Don't worry.  It's really all balanced out by the WHOPPING penalty that
can be applied if the OED guesses wrong.  I, personally, plan to have
them eat a bug and send a free copy to everyone on the list if they
screw up on my watch.