Subject: next up

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:33:39 -0500

>Cote's Creole Creations eases ahead of the Elliott Morepork
>School of Design to win first prize in the competition!

Wasting no time, then...  there are a couple of words that have been
sitting on a slip of paper on my desk, but then I was looking up
something else in the dictionary, and I saw a word I liked, then
another... in light of the fact that morepork is not a podargue, it was
very tempting to choose podagra, meaning "gout, especially of the great
toe", but finally, I settled on:

glabella

Let me know ASAP if you know it, otherwise get them defs in by midnight
Saturday 29 Jan.

Also...

>morepork - n. - A braided beard.
>Hutch: Don't know why, but I like this one. 2 points

Next time I see you, Hutch (it will have been almost two years, I think),
I fully expect for your chin-hairs to be tidily woven together.  Don't
let me down.

>morepork - n. - gallows-rope
>by David Randall.

He doesn't always sound the way you'd expect.

Pierre wrote, in reference to the Joyce quote:
>I think "morepork! morepork!" is either NN or C. NN is more likely
>because it's the capital of Ireland.

Huh? (I did a book report on Finnegan's Wake in high school, but I never
actually *read* the damn thing, I just carried it around for a month, and
wrote whatever I wanted to about the work, knowing that the teacher could
never dispute me.)

>where he states that the podargue is called the morepork erroneously
>because it says "kom-kom-kom".

I greatly enjoyed the morepork RealAudio clip, although I must say that I
have no understanding of how birders come up with these bizarre words to
describe bird calls.  Sounds more like "whoo-hoo" to me.

Jean-Joseph

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 00:13:28 -0600

> describe bird calls.  Sounds more like "whoo-hoo" to me

As a Wodehouse aficionado, naturally I get the "kom-kom-kom" concept,
but
the audioclip of the thing sounded just like "morePORK  morePORK" to me, 
nonetheless.  Love the multimedia exposition!

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:21:48 -0500

>describe bird calls.  Sounds more like "whoo-hoo" to me.

The RealAudio clip is of the owl. It is the podargue that says "kom-kom-kom".

Sorry for the kom-fusion.

phma

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:42:15 -0500

>wrote whatever I wanted to about the work, knowing that the teacher could

Morsepork! Morsepork!

phma