Subject: Derb, dude!

From: Jeff Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:31:59 -0700

Rather a varied array of definitions to choose from here. As usual,
please offer two selections. One worth two points; another worth one.
Deadline for voting will be the end of NEXT weekend: by the end of the
day, Sunday, March 26. (This time I actually looked at a calendar *G*)

derb : n : a spongy rye bread leavened with sour milk from the Caucasus
region

derb : n : a pump used in mining operations, capable of pumping thick mud

derb : adj : rough, uncrystallized, massive

derb : n : [Lanc. dial.] the first flower of spring; it is considered
good luck to brew a tea of 'derb-water' and drink it at dawn

derb : n : a mob; a riot

derb : v : to scour with sand

derb : n : [Berber, influenced by Arabic daraba, to beat a drum] a
Tunisian frame drum, usually made from camel skin and played with the
hands

derb : n : a small trowel used in bricklaying

Finally, this crowd should definitely get a kick out of this web site:
Forthright's Phrontistery International House of Logorrhea

     http://www.freespeech.org/forthright/ihlstart.htm

I was almost tempted to save it until the next time I got to pick the
word. *G*

E.g., acosmism, cete, fissilingual, haruspication, jumart, mentum,
parablepsis, quaquaversal, whiffler, zymite, and 7,124 more lovely,
obscure words

BB,
Hutch

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk!  For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.