Subject: [Fictionary] Anyone see any sastrugi?

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 15:13:02 -0500

There is no snow here, just very cold, but other parts of the country have 
snow, so I thought there might be some sastrugi. If so, post pics!

Wiktionary also has the form "sastrugus", which is wrong. It's first-
declension, so it would make more sense to make a plural "sastrugae" than a 
singular "sastrugus". The first declensions of Russian, Latin, and Greek all 
correspond, even having a few masculine nouns for professions (e.g. ραπτης, 
судья, athleta).

Pierre
-- 
Por H o por B, los campos magnéticos se difieren dentro de un imán.

---

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 18:43:04 -0500

I've seen this phenomenon at the top of a ski area in Colorado a few 
years ago, I think it was Copper, or if not, then Winter Park. I didn't 
look the way I had pictured, but the friends I was with said something 
like, "Oh, there's that weird snow thing, can't remember the name, 
um...", and I asked "Sastruga?", and they replied, "That's it!".

Jean-Joseph

-- 
J-J Cote
[email-masked]