Subject: prad scoring

From: "David Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 23:47:39 -0400

Joe is the winner.  Take it away, Joe!

David

prad - n. - academic headgear.

JAMES: Ranjit (2) + Joe (1) = 3

Elliott: When I start my university, it'll be a dunce cap.

prad - n. - a collection of imps.

RANJIT: Correct Guess (1) =1

prad - n. - (football slang)  1) acronym for Push Right At Dummy, used by
Knute Rockne when advising his team to work harder at practice, and 2) now
the name for the padded dummies used at practice, thus 3) s. or pl., the
dimwitted players on one's team that need constant coaching in tackling
skills, and 4)  academic skills.

LINDA: Aussie (2) + Jean-Joseph (2) + Jeff (1) = 5

Elliott: Acronym etymologies are almost invariably bogus!  As the author of
this definition knows well.

prad - n.) - a door stop fastened to a door on a hinge.

JOE: Fran (2) + Pierre (2) + Aussie (1) + Jean-Joseph (1) + Linda (1) +
Correct Guess (2) = 9

prad - n. - a fraternity brother who was accepted only to help cover the
rent, esp. one expected not to realize it even when he is on the pledge
committee the following year.

ELLIOTT = 0

prad - n. - (slang, fr. Dutch _paard_) a horse.

OED: Joe (2) + Fran (1) + Ranjit (1)  = 4

Ranjit: See also "pardner" (horse-wrangler).

prad - n. - (from Spanish _prado_) an art museum or gallery, esp. a large
one.

JEFF = 0

prad - n. - (fr. Romanian, meadow) any of several archeological sites on the
plains of Eastern Europe.

PIERRE: Elliott (2) = 2

prad - adj. - having the taste sensation of spicy and cool at the same time,
as in mint and hot pepper, or as in cilantro leaves.

FRAN: Linda (2) + Correct Guess (1) = 3

Aussie: Ranjit needs to stop writing these defs when he's hungry.
Elliott: Patently bogus, but useful.

prad - n. - the hidden fabric in the tuck of a pleat.

AUSSIE: Elliott (1) + Pierre (1) = 2

Fran: Honorable mention

prad - v. - to emboss or etch with a diamond pattern.

JEAN-JOSEPH: Jeff (2) = 2

Elliott: These are two different processes.  If the word covers both, why
not also "paint", "embroider", "chisel", etc.?
-------------------------------
And from Pierre: Okay, so it is the Dutch horse. There was a joke going
around when Clinton was president (and apparently before, with different
characters): Clinton was visiting Wim Kok, prime minister of Holland, who
was showing him his horses.

"Yes, Mr. President, I fok horses!" said Kok, sticking the Dutch word for
"breed" in the English sentence.

"Pardon?" replied Clinton.

"Yes! Paarden! I fok paarden!"

Kok and Clinton looked at each other puzzled, while the interpreters they
had brought along roared with laughter.

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 00:12:20 -0400

> Elliott: When I start my university, it'll be a dunce cap.

Oh, what a dorbel hat you're wearing!

phma

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 00:27:39 -0500

My apologies to Fran for thinking that she was Ranjit; and my apologies 
to Ranjit for implying that he thinks with his tummy.

---

From: Snibor Eoj <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:19:33 -0400 (EDT)

> Joe is the winner.  Take it away, Joe!

Gosh!  How'd that happen?

Well, now I've got to come up with a new word.  I guess I'll try this one 
first: snollygoster.

Let me know if you know it.

Snibor Eoj

[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a member of the Non-Sequitur Association of America
  "You can lead a yak to water, but you can't teach an old dog to make
   a silk purse out of a pig in a poke."  - Opus