Subject: Zax ballot -- and not a Dr. Seuss answer in the bunch

From: "Eric Zuckerman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:07:42 -0700

Some of these have all been slightly reformatted so they all 
followed the same conventions (and/or ended with a period).

   Here is the ballot.  Vote 2 points for the one you really like and
1 point for the one you sort-of like.

#####
zax (n.) [fr. Haitian] one of the "bones" rolled by Voudoun 
fortune-tellers; may include actual bones, dice, small statuettes, 
coins, or other small items.

zax (n.) a St. Bernard with no sense of direction.

zax (n.) property (in law).

zax (v.) [Kentish dialect] to beat soundly; to thrash or wallop.

zax (n.) a confection of Greek origin, consisting of a sweet white
syrup served on a spoon immersed in a glass of water.

zax (n.) a hatchetlike tool for cutting and dressing roofing slates.

zax (n.) [Southern U.S.] pedestrian causeway.

zax (n.) an herb native to northern and central Europe.

zax (n.) pottery shards used in mosaics.

zax (n.)  a marimba-type musical instrument, made of steel and played
with a rubber-coated steel mallet.

zax (adj.) [Eastern U.S. slang 1920s-30s] fascinatingly unpleasant.

zax (n.) a case, often elaborately ornamented, with separate
compartments for milchik and fleishik false teeth.

zax (interj.) [arch.] A euphemistic abbreviation of _by God's axe_, 
used in oaths.
###

   Please get your votes in by... a week from Monday, I think that's
the 30th.

Cheers,
EZ

P.S.:  For the Tiebreaker, Joshua MacKay-Smith thought of the correct
answer that I was thinking of:
>Oh, and of course your quote is based on Dr. Ruth Weisenheimer on the 
>David Endochrine Show, where she was one of two gueste for the 
>evening--the other being the Joker, who was in the process of killing 
>her and everyone else in the room at the time--from Frank Miller's 
>_Batman: The Dark Knight Returns_.
>

   And Hutch thought of the one that I didn't:
> I'm just so Shattered, by ...
> 
>      All this chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter, chitter-
>        chatter 'bout
>      Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta -- I can't give it away
>        on 7th Avenue
> 
> Yeah, I got it. So do Mick and Keith.
> 

   I'd call both of them right, although I kind of want to call Josh
*more* right.   %-}   Especially since he gave such a *detailed*
answer!

-----
E Zuckerman, [email-masked]
http://www.geocities.com/zuckermn/

------------------------------------------------------------
--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
Before you buy.