Subject: "obscure" word quiz

From: Jed Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 12:21:04 -0700

Some of these I don't consider obscure at all; others I've never heard of.
Thought y'all might enjoy it.

http://encarta.msn.com/quiz/quiz.asp?quizid=44

--jed

---

From: "Melissa D. Binde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 15:43:34 -0400

> Some of these I don't consider obscure at all; others I've never heard of.

Hmmmm.  You are a more studly wordsmith than I am :).

I thought all of them at least merited "obscure" or "uncommon", and there
were a bunch I'd never heard of.

I've never taken Latin or Greek, but I guess I've absorbed more of it than I
thought: only one of them was a totally blind guess ("killick), and I
managed to get 10/10 :).

Part of the problem was that it was sometimes painfully obvious which one
they were trying to mislead you into selecting (e.g. with "jerboa"), which
gave me at least a 50% chance of getting it right even if there _weren't_
other clues like vague memories of roots, suffixes, and vague feelings about
the context I'd heard the word in before.

-M.

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:44:55 -0400

>http://encarta.msn.com/quiz/quiz.asp?quizid=44

I get the following:

Microsoft VBScript runtime  error '800a000d' 

Type mismatch: '[string: "o"]' 

/intl/bver.inc, line 8

What went wrong?

phma

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:52:38 -0400

>Twas brillig, on Thu May 03 at 12:21:04 PM, and Jed Hartman burbled:

Since when is 12:21 brillig? Or are you in the Far North where it's brillig all
the time in the summer?

phma

---

From: "Melissa D. Binde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:59:34 -0400

> Since when is 12:21 brillig? Or are you in the Far North where it's brillig all

In my world it's _always_ brillig ;)

-M., who has some slithy toves around here somewhere

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 18:45:37 -0400

>http://encarta.msn.com/quiz/quiz.asp?quizid=44

I have tried again, using kfm, Lynx, and Netscape, and have gotten nothing but
errors and blank screens. Is there any way to make the site work?

phma