Subject: tog and clo unmasked

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:30:31 -0400

Things often work out very differently than one might expect, as in this
case.

>tog - n. - (Forestry) A tree that has died and fallen down.
>clo - n. - [abbr. clearing long overdue] An area of forest that is
>overgrown with underbrush and in danger of catching fire.
by Pierre.  No points.
Linda: The sentimental favorite  (my husband and two of the kids competed
in forestry events in the past), an innocuous position, but no cigar.
Pierre: btw, that's "tree on ground"

>tog - v. - [fashion industry slang] To dress.
>clo - n. - [fashion industry slang] Any clothing worn on the runway,
>including jewelry and other accessories.
by Hutch.  Aussie 2, Joe 1, correct guess 2 = 5 points.
Hutch: Okay, they're dumb. But that's all I can come up with.
Aussie: I like this!  Two points!
Linda: This seems too appropriate.
Pierre: What do you wear while taxiing? In the air?

>tog - adv. - Up the hill.
>clo - adv. - Down the hill.
>Derivation:  taken roughly from Toggenburg goat management in the
Swiss-German Alps.
by Linda.  Joe 2, Hutch 1, correct guess 1 = 4 points.
Aussie: I, myself, wouldn't try to take anything roughly from Toggenburg
goat management.
Joe: I like it for its simplicity, despite the derivation, so I'm going
to give it two points.

>tog - v. - to satch or unsatch a clo.
>clo - n. - (millinery) a circular or elongated tensi.
by Ranjit.  Pierre 2 = 2 points.
Linda: Rather a good def
Pierre: Two points, 'cause I know nothing about millinery.

>tog - n. - The left foot.
>clo - n. - The right foot.
by Joe.  Aussie 1, Linda 2 = 3 points.
Aussie: Nice and simple.  1 point.
Linda: Two points for the simplest def.
Pierre: Yeah, left.

>tog - v. - An element of macrame in which the cord is knotted and
>combined with the next cord - compare clo.
>clo - v. - An element of macrame in which tandem cords are knotted
>and separated - compare tog.
By Aussie.  Pierre 1 = 1 point.
Linda: Also seems appropriate, alas.
Pierre: One point, 'cause I know next to nothing about macrame.

>Tog - n. - A metric unit used to describe the insulating properties of
>cloth. If the flow of heat through the cloth is 1 watt per square meter,
>then the insulating value in Togs is 10 times the temperature
difference,
>in Celsius degrees (or kelvins), between the two sides of the cloth. 
>Light summer clothing has an insulation value of approximately 1 Tog. 
>One Tog equals 0.1 m2K/W or about 0.645 clo.
>clo - n. - A US unit of thermal insulation used for clothing.  One clo
is
>intended to represent the insulation required to keep a resting person
>warm in an indoor room at 70 °F (21.1°C), relative humidity <50% and air
>movement 20 ft/min.  The rate of a person's heat loss is measured in
>watts per square meter of skin area per kelvin of temperature difference
>across the clothing; the value of insulation is measured by the
>reciprocal of this rate, in square meter kelvins per watt (m2K/W).  An
>ordinary wool business suit has an insulation value of approximately 1
>clo.  One clo is equal to 0.155 m2K/W or 1.550 Togs. 
Truth, assembled from several references found on the web.  These units
are used in exercise physiology testing, as well as advertising for
wetsuits.  Hutch 2, Linda 1 = 3 points.
Joe: Yikes!
Hutch: This is too easy. This is the only definition that even looks
vaguely believable (not that that's saying much). Can I give it all three
points? No, so 2 points.
Linda: One point for "blinding me with science"--the people engaged in
this trade will make aerospace, deserts, and the polar regions liveable.
Pierre: Yeah, right. I've heard of the sone and the noy, but the tog and
the clo?

So somebody should check my arithmetic, since I seem to have a poor
record at this particular calculation, but it looks to me as if Hutch has
reinforced the theory that he can win only when he's playing to lose,
edging out Linda and Joe on the strength of his correct guess..  Dredge
it through, Hutch!

Jean-Joseph