Subject: Stump the band

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 07:16:36 -0700

'Scuse me, but I don't understand a verbal reference I just found and
thought maybe someone on the list might know what the heck it was. 
Maybe I should be asking history people rather than language people. 

The quote is from Yassir Arafat: "We announce that we put all our humble
                 means under the Seville of all the nations of the
                 world in order to protect this world from the threat
                 of blind terrorism, which threatens the international
                 community."

The question is, what's the Seville? Why Seville?  Or do you suppose
it's a typo for something else (it's from a CNN.com article)?

---

From: "Conrad Heiney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:52:16 -0700

I assume the Chairman was saying "under the civilized nations of the world" or a very similar phrase, and that the CNN transcriptionist was very tired. 

A similar garble on record is a news story that referred to a person's description of Newt Gingrich as "sweet and generous". This was a surprise because sweetness is not one of Mr. Gingrich's outstanding qualities. The correct quote turned out to be 'sui generis'. 

Or perhaps Mr. Arafat is justifiably in search of a new barber?

Conrad

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 07:16:36AM -0700, Aussie Meyer wrote:
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Stump the band
> 

-- 
Conrad Heiney
[email-masked]
http://fringehead.org
----------

I want a VEGETARIAN BURRITO to go ... with EXTRA MSG!!