Subject: COLLY ballot

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:11:41 -0400

Here are the colly definitions, sorted, as is my habit, in
alphabetical order by first significant word.  As always, cast two
votes: one worth one point and another worth two, and whoever has
received the most votes as of next wednesday night will be anointed
champion!

colly, n. (dialect, chiefly British) To blacken with or as if with soot.

colly - n. - A circular terrace cut into a hillside, used in the
production of charcoal.  Wood is stacked on the terrace in a dome-shaped
configuration, covered with dirt, and the bottom layers of the wood are
burned to cook the remaining wood into charcoal over the course of
several weeks.

colly, (n)  (Appalachian dialect)  A coal miner.

colly, n.  (Brit.) (1) a coal miner  (2) a barge used to carry coal up and down
rivers or canals (see COLLIER)

colly - n. - [Northumbrian, from Old English kolla:
prowess, skill] courage, fortitude, spirit

colly--adj. (fr. n. collier)--dirty

colly (n) (Aus. slang) a farm hand.

colly, n. A fee, as for services rendered. [Rhyming slang.]

colly, n. A mechanical part consisting of a cylinder whose middle is attached
to the end of a rod and which slides on another rod.

colly, n. a young girl, especially a pretty one, from Irish colleen.