Subject: [Fictionary] time to vote KNEIPPISM PARNEL

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 15:49:20 -0500

We've gotten five votes already. Let's say polls close in a week, 11pm 
EST, Thursday, 28 January.

The usual one- and two-point votes. Enjoy!

----------------

parnel, v. To discuss a theory which cannot be proved true or false.

Kneippism, n. The doctrine that souls flounder in megrims until they 
arrive at their final place, as propounded by August Kneipp in 1859.

At Leiden University, several philosophers and theologians gathered to 
parnel ideas such as the continuum hypothesis, Kneippism, and the qualia 
problem.

----------------

parnel, n. A good work performed specifically to balance a bad work 
rather than for any other benefit.

Kneippism, n. A belief system in which good works and bad works must be 
balanced for one to live a fulfilling life.

Long before restorative justice started to become popular in the US, 
practitioners of Kneippism had been engaging in similar efforts as a 
practice of what they term parnel.

----------------

parnel, n. (Fr.). The carved wooden dividing rail in the bedchamber of 
the sovereign, at which courtiers would gather for the ceremonies of 
rising and retiring.

Kneippism, n.  The policies and principles of Tobias Kneipp, a 17th 
century Dutch politician and proponent of republicanism versus 
monarchical absolutism.

Shockingly, the courtiers clustered at the parnel were not focused on 
either the privilege or responsibility of the grand levée, but were 
instead exchanging agitated remarks on the wave of Kneippism sweeping 
the Low Countries.

----------------

parnel, v. To snarl a climbing rope.

kneippism, n. (after Adolf Kneipp, General Secretary of the Luxembourg 
Communist Party, 1924-1931). 1) Neutrality vis-a-vis 
Trotskyist-Stalinist intra-party quarrels. 2) Contemptible indecision.

Catesby's kneippism when confronted with his parnel doomed him to sudden 
death on the Matterhorn.

----------------

parnel, n. A priest's mistress.

Kneippism, n. Treatment of disease by forms of hydrotherapy, as hot or 
cold baths, walking barefoot in the snow or morning dew, etc.

Even after a monastic retreat for Father Avery and a course of Kneippism 
for his parnel, their mutual attraction remained strong as ever.

----------------

parnel, n. The practice of subsisting only on repeated administrations 
of the Eucharist, primarily of Kneippist Christians.

Kneippism, n. A heretical Catholic sect of 14th century Bavaria founded 
by Fritz Ranier Kneipp, notable for the innovation of parnel.

The pope ruled Kneippism a heresy for its practice of parnel.

----------------

parnel, v. To make pliable through immersion, as with leather or wood.

Kneippism, n. The doctrine that philosophy is best performed in the bath.

I was skeptical of Kneippism until I parnelled both my thesis and my 
book proposal during a single weekend at the hot springs.

----------------

parnel, v. To try to undermine the work of someone famous.

kneippism, n. The belief that a certain famous person needs to be 
exposed as a fraud.

James Whistler the artist was constantly parnelled by more traditional 
artists and those advocating kneippism.

-- Eric   |   [email-masked]

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 13:47:39 -0500

I'm planning to collate tonight or tomorrow morning, so if you want to 
vote today go for it!

We only have six votes, don't let the special-interest groups dominate 
the election.

-- 
-- Eric   |   [email-masked]

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 21:14:47 -0500

Sorry again for the slowness.

Clearly these words weren't weird enough, as the real defs got the most 
votes. But this round's winner is Elizabeth, with six points, take it away!

----------------

Real def:

"Even after a monastic retreat for Father Avery and a course of 
Kneippism for his parnel, their mutual attraction remained strong as ever."

Votes: 6 -- Ranjit 1, David 2, Linda 1, Elizabeth 2

Comments:

Ranjit: Looks like I'm not the only one who buys Kneipp brand bath 
bubbles! 1 point for hydrotherapy.

Me: I chose the word, but I had no idea about Kneipp bath bubbles! At 
least if we believe the brand's Web site, there is an unbroken line of 
transmission from Sebastian Kneipp, 1821-1897, to the bath bubbles."

----------------

Ranjit:

"I was skeptical of Kneippism until I parnelled both my thesis and my 
book proposal during a single weekend at the hot springs."

Votes: 3 -- 2 Fran + 1 correct vote

Comments:

Author (Ranjit): Inspired by Kneipp brand bath bubbles.

----------------

Fran:

"Long before restorative justice started to become popular in the US, 
practitioners of Kneippism had been engaging in similar efforts as a 
practice of what they term parnel."

Votes: 3 -- Linda 2, Elizabeth 1

----------------

Elizabeth

"Shockingly, the courtiers clustered at the parnel were not focused on 
either the privilege or responsibility of the grand levée, but were 
instead exchanging agitated remarks on the wave of Kneippism sweeping 
the Low Countries."

Votes: 6 -- Ziv 2, Pierre 2 + 2 correct vote

Comments:

Ziv: I know just little enough about monarchs and the Dutch that I 
believe both of these could be real.

David: Since I've been reading about 17th century Dutch republicans for 
my research, and I don't recognize the name Kneipp, I will be very 
embarrassed if this is the correct answer!

----------------

Pierre:

"At Leiden University, several philosophers and theologians gathered to 
parnel ideas such as the continuum hypothesis, Kneippism, and the qualia 
problem."

Votes: 1 -- 1 Fran

----------------

Ziv:

Votes: 3 -- Ranjit 2, David 1

----------------

Linda:

"James Whistler the artist was constantly parnelled by more traditional 
artists and those advocating kneippism."

Votes: 1 for correct vote

----------------

David:

"Catesby's kneippism when confronted with his parnel doomed him to 
sudden death on the Matterhorn."

Votes: 4 -- Ziv 1, Pierre 1 + 2 correct vote

Comments:

Pierre: Is "parnel" a noun or a verb? One point anyway.

-- Eric   |   [email-masked]

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 10:59:35 -0500

> arrive at their final place, as propounded by August Kneipp in 1859.

Did anyone notice the pleuronecticity of this def?

Pierre
-- 
lo ponse be lo mruli ku po'o cu ga'ezga roda lo ka dinko

---

From: Hutch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:24:51 -0500

Not sure I see the pleuronecticity of the definition? Or the words therein?

Maybe I have the definition incorrect? Basically, 'right-handedness'?

BB,
Hutch

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCM/S d+>- s+:+ a++ C+++$ ULAC>$ P+ L+ !E W++$
N+ o K? w++++/--$ O? M- V? PS+ PE/- Y PGP- t++ 5?
X-- R !tv? b++++>$ DI++++ D G+> e++ h+ r--?* y++>

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:32:58 -0500

> Maybe I have the definition incorrect? Basically, 'right-handedness'?

Right- or left-eyedness is what's relevant to pleuronecticity.

Pierre
-- 
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:35:20 -0500

> Right- or left-eyedness is what's relevant to pleuronecticity.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that there was something fishy about your definition.