Subject: [Fictionary] new new new new new fictionary word: FUDGEL

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2024 10:18:23 -0400

Pierre recognized "foyce" as a scythe. That's not the meaning I had in
mind, but "fice" could plausibly be a variant. I want to share the
definition I found, in the 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue:

FICE, or FOYSE. A small windy escape backwards, more obvious to the nose
than ears; frequently by old ladies charged on their lap-dogs.

ANYWAY: do you recognize the word "fudgel"?

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2024 22:21:23 -0400

> than ears; frequently by old ladies charged on their lap-dogs.

Wiktionary has nothing at "foyce" or "foyse", but does have that meaning, 
including that quote, at "feist", of which "fice" is a variant.

I'd have let the word stand. "Foice" (Portuguese for "scythe") has nothing 
semantically or etymologically to do with "foyce/foyse/fice".

> ANYWAY: do you recognize the word "fudgel"?

I do not.

Pierre
-- 
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci