Subject: [Fictionary] dictionary-only words

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:40:58 -0500

Possibly of interest to the fictionariat: wikipedia has a list of words
that appear in two or more dictionaries but have no (or almost no) attested
uses outside of dictionaries.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_dictionary-only_terms

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 01:19:04 -0500

> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_dictionary-only_terms

Is "castaldick" related to "gastald"?

I used "loemocomium" and "loemopyra" early in the pandemic.

"Yeender" suggests "yeought": the time between sunset and midnight (?).

I think that Ancient Greek dictionary-only terms should be similarly excluded. 
When an Ancient Greek mentions that "σπακα" is Median for "dog", it should be 
included, as Median is barely attested (there's only one other attested Median 
word). But when Hesychius says that "γρύξ" means "dirt of fingernails", and 
does not provide an example of how to use it, and there are no actual uses of 
the word, I don't know whether to say του/της γρυγος/γρυχος/γρυκος.

Pierre
-- 
loi mintu se ckaji danlu cu jmaji