Subject: three-word ballot

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:22:50 -0500

Votes are due in three days -- by Friday, 29 October 2004, in the 
evening (U.S. time).

Rules -- THESE ARE DIFFERENT:  You have eight (8) points.  Spend them 
how you will -- all on one definition, a point to each of eight 
definitions, whatever.  No fractional points, please.

You get the total of all the points spent on your definitions, plus 
any points you gave to correct definitions.

(Votes will be tallied by computer, no audit trail will be provided, 
details of voting procedures are protected trade secrets.  Go sue.)

Have fun!

*** bishoping ************************************************

bishoping, v.  Acting indecisively

bishoping, v.  (Obs., ca. 1370.)  An obsolete move in chess in
   which a promoted pawn could be changed to a bishop (rather than
   a queen or rook), but placed at any unoccupied square on the
   last rank of the player's choosing.

bishoping, v.  Altering the appearance of a horse with intention
   to deceive.

bishoping, n.  Lace-like punched decoration on silver plate.

bishoping, n.  A gathered border or series of gathered borders
   added to a petticoat at the hemline.

bishoping, v.  A technique of antisubmarine warfare in which two
   convoys maneuver on disjoint sets of diagonally adjacent map
   squares, thus allowing evasive action while preventing a
   concentration of targets.

bishoping, n.  The portion of a bishopric reserved for community
   gardening and farming, with all participating villagers sharing
   in the produce, animals products, and profits, once the bishop
   takes the lion's share.

bishoping, v.  (Usually called "castling".)  To move a chess king
   two squares toward a rook and in the same move the rook to the
   square next past the king.

*** hodi-potsy ************************************************

hodi-potsy, n.  A type of pickle made from bits of leftovers from
   the garden, at the end of the season, such as cabbage, green
   beans, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, parsley, dill, et. al.  See
   also, piccalilli and chow-chow.

hodi-potsy, n.  A common, benign, superficial cutaneous fungal
   infection, most commonly encountered in Madagascar.

hodi-potsy, n.  A Dutch stew, cooked overnight on a very slow
   fire.

hodi-potsy, n.  The red form of elemental sulfur.

hodi-potsy, n.  [Ukrainian khod, walkway + potsi, dative of pik]
   A Ukrainian game played by three teams, each of which tries to
   carry a ball to its respective goal, called pik, at the end of
   its walkway, the other ends of which meet at 120-degree angles.

hodi-potsy, n.  A pair of swings, usually armored, suspended
   independently so that they swing in the same plane and touch
   each other when at rest.

hodi-potsy, n.  (Obs.)  Fake identification; particularly, a false
   police badge (regional slang, New York).

hodi-potsy, n.  Tasselled lace trim, as on a tablecloth, napkin,
   or slipcover

hodi-potsy, n.  (Zuni)  A confection of dried apricots and
   tamarind.

*** rabage ************************************************

rabage, n.  Fungal blight of field greens.

rabage, n.  Rotting vegetable matter; more generally, garbage.

rabage, n.  Decorative perforations around the edges of e.g. bed
   or table linens.

rabage, v.  To waste away rapidly.

rabage, n.  An heirloom grudge.

rabage, n.  A variety of kale, grown in areas that are too cold
   for ordinary cabbage and kale.

rabage, n.  The amount collected by a store by redeeming coupons.

rabage, n.  A cross between a radish and a cabbage, developed by
   Soviet geneticist Alexei Karpenchinko, 1924.