Subject: malm results

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:49:19 EDT

OK, finally the malm results:
Ranjit and David HAD been tied with 7, then I received Joe's vote (which he 
had sent previously and I must have deleted) which made David tied with Joshua 
with 8 each.  No tie-breaking poetry has been submitted by either of them.  In 
fact, no poetry was submitted at all.  Therefore, I leave it to Joshua and 
David to decide between them who is the winner.

malm   (n.)   An untrustworthy confidant.
JOE (3)
That's what she told me, but I don't know if I believe it. -Ranjit
1 point -David Randall
Mal-calm. -Jean-Joseph
I'm suspicious of this one. -Linda
2 points.  I like the sound of it, like a mole, but not actually a spy, just 
untrustworthy... -Nora

malm   (v.)   To substitute a strong alcoholic drink with a less powerful 
one, especially if the person in question is already drunk.
LINDA (1)
I don't believe it, but I don't believe ANY of them, so give this one point 
-Judith
Interesting.  Do bartenders do this, rather than just saying, "Okay pal, I 
think you've reached your limit?"  I have such limited experience in this 
context. -Jean-Joseph
MALMSEY. -Elliott

malm   (n.)   (Hawaiian)   The heavy container used to carry the pig to and 
from the imu for luau; usu. with long poles to make carrying easier.

HUTCH (0)
Does Hawaiian have those three letters?  Hmm... yes, it does.  Reminds me too 
much of "palm", though, and doesn't look particularly Hawaiian.  Seems like 
it would be smarter to make a lightweight container. -Jean-Joseph
sounds compelling. -Linda
It is a little-known fact that Hawaiian has elaborate ornamental syllable 
codas, which are only brought out on special occasions such as luaus. -Elliott
Doesn't sound Hawaiian. There is a word "malama" though. -Pierre

malm    (n.)   A soft chalky rock. 
TRUE
>From the Oxford English Reference Dictionary, Oxford Press.
This was only definition number one.  The others are:  2.  a loamy soil 
produced by the disintegration of this rock.  3.  a fine-quality brick made 
originally from malm, marl, or a similar chalky clay.
I automatically eliminated definition 3, in case anyone was familiar with 
Marlton, NJ, a good source of marl, which is apparently very similar to malm. 
Then I got rid of definition 2, to make it more like the other short, simple 
definitions in the ballot. -Fran
two points -Judith
2 points -David Randall
Talc? -Jean-Joseph
Two points for a soft chalky rock, which strikes me as likely. -Aussie
talc? -Linda
Impulse vote.  Two points. -Joshua

malm   (n.)   Spiced honey
DAVID (8)
2 points for correct guess
Probably not it.  But I'll give it two points anyway, because it sounds 
appetizing. -Jean-Joseph
Nice idea--yum!  Linda
MALMSEY.  If this were the real one, Eric would have known it.  One point. 
-Elliott
Hm.  Maybe it ought to be "melm" for this, but I'm still giving it a point. 
-Joshua
1 -Pierre
Ooh.  Sounds interesting.  1 point. -Joe Robins

malm   (n.)   A false, soothing, statement.   (v.)   To make such statements.
JUDITH (4)
2 points for correct guess
I'd like to believe it, but the world is a harsher place than that. -Ranjit
Mal-calm. -Jean-Joseph
Sounds Shakespearean?  Wasn't there something about malmsey wine?  1 point.  
Or was that with spiced honey--or venison broth? -Linda 
CALM that QUALM! -Elliott
1 Point.  Like the first definition, so I will spread the love. -Nora

malm   (adj.)   (Obs)   Shiny, sparkling.
JEAN-JOSEPH (0)
Mine.  Inspired by the fact that I know of two Swedish proper nouns 
containing these letters, Malmsten and Malmö.  I think "sten" means stone, and "ö" 
means stream, so I tried to think of an adjective that might apply to either.  
After I finish guessing, I'll look it up in my Swedish dictionary.  Okay, it 
says... well "ö" is island; it's "å" that's stream.  And "malm" means ore. 
-Jean-Joseph
That diamond is malmier than moonlight upon the water -Nora

malm   (n.)   Venison broth.
ERIC (2)
Could be.  One point, because it's also making me hungry. -Jean-Joseph
one for the venison broth -Melissa
I'd like this if it were oniony. -Linda
This sounds yummy.  More malm please! -Nora

malm   (n.)   A suffocating stench.
JOSHUA (8)
2 points for correct guess
This popped into my head at the end of a rather convoluted trail beginning 
with whatshisname who drowned in a butt of malmsey.  The mills of my brain grind 
exceeding slow, but they grind exceeding weird. -Joshua
Pee-yew!  Two points! -Ranjit
Mal-balm.  Probably caused by decaying vegetation. -Jean-Joseph
Perfumey! -Linda
MALMSEY (comma, BUTT OF, comma, DROWNED IN A) -Elliott
2 -Pierre
Sure.  2 points. -Joe Robins

malm   (v.)   To offer comfort with an ulterior motive
ARTHUR (3)
Melissa says your name is Arthur, but you didn't sign it.  I trust her 
though. -Fran
Just vote for me and you'll feel better. -Ranjit
Also mal-calm. -Jean-Joseph
2 POINTS FOR THE GUT FEELING. -Linda
1 for sneakiness -Kir
CALM that QUALM! -Elliott

malm   (n.)   One of the six Fundamental Fragrances of the perfumers, malm is 
associated with decaying vegetation.  The other Fundamental Fragrances are 
musk, citrus, leather, floral-jasmine, and floral-rose.
RANJIT (7)
More mal-balm.  And what about ambergis, the aroma of the ambrette?  So I'm 
trying to imagine if these are supposed to be an orthogonal spanning vector set 
for olfactory space, and wondering which ones you mix to get something like 
curry, or fresh-baked bread. -Jean-Joseph
One big fat point for the Fundamental Fragrance - it's convoluted, but bold. 
-Aussie
two for the fundamental fragrances -Melissa
Isn't the other one asofoetida?  Anyone know what ambergris smells like? 
-Linda
2 for audacity -Kir
Two points. -Elliott
This is just plain gross.  I can't believe there would be a "fragrance" that 
would smell like this.  Although grass smells sickeningly sweet when it has 
been mowed, so I suppose there is something to it. -Nora
It is unlikely that there are only six Fundamental Fragrances, when there are 
347 different smell receptors. -Pierre

malm   (v.)   To chew to a pulp.
MELISSA (2)
Tikko is malming a rawhide right now!  1 pt. -Ranjit
Masticate.  Okay, that does it, I'm going to cook dinner now. -Jean-Joseph
mmmmmmmm -Linda
ZERMALMEN. -Elliott
substitute an "L" for an "I."  Stand back!  Or I'll chew you to a pulp! -Nora
Well, see, I couldn't find *any* that were sufficiently plausible or 
implausible.  So: One point. -Eric

malm   (n.)   The feeling one gets when suspecting that one is married to a 
wittol.

PIERRE (0)
That's odd.  Who would remember the word "wittol"?  I think it was Nova who 
recognized it when I put it up as a candidate word, years ago.  And I wonder 
what this feeling is?  "Hey, you mean I've been sneaking around for nothing?  
And you don't mind?  Well, phooey, that takes all the fun out if it!" 
-Jean-Joseph
Egad, and what would a wittol be?  Better than your widow, I guess. -Linda
QUALM. -Elliott

I never received Aussie's definition, but she gets two points for a correct 
guess.
AUSSIE (2)

Joke: to maim in a soothing manner
MELISSA

---

From: Joshua Mackay-Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

Well, props to Elliott for divining my thought process.  As for
the tie, I believe I have won more recently than David, so I shall defer
to him for this round.

				jdms

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:44:11 -0400

> containing these letters, Malmsten and Malmö.  I think "sten" means stone,
> and "ö" means stream, so I tried to think of an adjective that might apply
> to either. After I finish guessing, I'll look it up in my Swedish
> dictionary.  Okay, it says... well "ö" is island; it's "å" that's stream. 
> And "malm" means ore. -Jean-Joseph

I åa ä e ö å i öa ä e å.

> with whatshisname who drowned in a butt of malmsey.  The mills of my brain
> grind exceeding slow, but they grind exceeding weird. -Joshua

Meallann muilte Dé go malm...

phma
-- 
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga
.icu'u la ma'atman.