Subject: sawby -- the REAL defs

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:30:22 -0400

Okay, I'm spacing out, and the list I sent out before was incomplete, but
I can't remember if the one I left out was the real one or one of the
phony ones.  In any event, ignore the previous list, and respond based on
this corrected list.

Oops,
Jean-Joseph
_______________________________________
Here are the possible definitions for "sawby".  Get me your one-point
guess, your two-point guess, and any other colorful comments, poetry,
prose, etc. by bedtime on Tuesday, July 17 (and I might go to bed early
that night).

sawby - n. - A lantern mounted at the prow of a ship.

Sawby - n. - A carved wooden coin used as a voting token in medieval
guilds. 

sawby - n. [obs.] - Device for making straight cuts in lumber, sim. to a
plumb bob.

sawby - adj. - Rough, uncouth.  From the Indonesian "sawabay", meaning
unfinished.

sawby - adj. [Shropshire dialect] - Of wool: Having a rough texture
caused by infestation
with parasitic flies.

sawby - n. - A large swallow (Progne subis) of No. America the males of
which have mottled brown plumage.

sawby - n. - A solar tattoo, produced by covering the skin with a stencil
and exposing it to sunlight to cause tanning.

sawby - n. - (Somersetshire dialect) - 1. Gifts given by a landlord to
his tenants on Easter Sunday. 2. Money left to a servant or a tenant in a
will.

sawby - n. - A complicated procedure for allowing two railroad trains to
pass on a single-track line when the only available siding is too short
to accommodate either one.

Sawby - n. cap. - A coastal English village in Yorkshire, famous as a
launching spot for Captain William Scoresby, jr., the Arctic Explorer who
mapped a good deal of Greenland.  Currently the village is notable for
its tourism, locally brewed ale, and fishing fleet.