Subject: [Fictionary] new new word -- LAUBURU

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:39:21 -0400

Pierre knew tamis, a type of sieve,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamis

although apparently it is also Total Ammunition Management Information 
System, the U.S. Army system for tracking ammunition, and a technique of 
Transanal Minimally Invasive Surgery.

New word: LAUBURU

If you know it, let me know in the next two days. If you've already 
defined tamis, let me know if you want to re-use your def.

-- Eric   |   @GoudyBoldItalic

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:03:20 -0400

Pierre also knew lauburu, the cross-shaped symbol made out of four 
commas that is, among other things, a symbol of Basque identity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauburu

So I won't even *try* "fylfot":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fylfot

New new new word: GAVELKIND

If you know it, let me know in the next two days. Enjoy!

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:28:55 -0400

David knew too much about gavelkind, so here's another one:

New new new new word: DORNICK

If you know it (or if you think we've used it before), let me know in 
the next two days.

Have fun!

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:47:18 -0400

Ranjit and Pierre knew that we'd used dornick before (was it mine?) so 
let's try:

SURRA

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 22:20:03 -0400

No-one's admitted to knowing it, or pointed out that we'd used it 
before, so our new new new new new word

SURRA

is a go.

Get me your definitions by a little over a week from now -- midnight 
EDT, Friday, 7 Oct.

Enjoy!

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:14:49 -0400

We need more defs for our new new new new new word, so a reminder to define

	SURRA

by a little less than a week from now -- midnight EDT, Friday, 7 Oct.

Enjoy!

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 16:40:49 -0400

On 02-Oct-21 16:23, Jim Moskowitz wrote:
> Converting from the Cohen calendar, is that the date I would call Thursday 7 Oct, or Friday 8 Oct? Or the midnight between the 7th and 8th? (I could believe that, in your nomenclature ,the “mid-“ represents the last second of the 7th, while the “-night” happens at the first second of Friday…)

Thank you Jim, you have identified two problems. First, the possible 
ambiguity of midnight. Second, the fact that I can't read a calendar.

*SO*, definitions are due by midnight Friday the 8th of October.

To clarify, you wake up Friday morning, maybe have some breakfast, and 
go about your business. Later in the day you might head back home for 
supper. After that, as you relax with Youtube or, possibly, your 
favorite book of word derivations, the evening wears on until, suddenly, 
you look up and the clock says 11pm. "Heavens!" you cry. "I must get my 
definition submitted in less than an hour!"

Thanks to Jim for noticing.

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 21:05:06 -0400

Hi all,

We've had some enthusiastic defining of our word, so if you haven't yet 
get in your definition of

	SURRA

by a two days from now -- midnight EDT, of the dark time that follows 
the light part of Friday, 8 Oct.

Turns out there is no standard on which day midnight is part of, so 
legal agreements are often written to take effect at 12:01. I've also 
learnt that in military time you can refer correctly to either zero 
hundred hours or twenty-four hundred hours, generally depending on 
whether you want to emphasize the ending of the previous day or the 
beginning of the next.

Enjoy!

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 21:35:08 -0400

Hi all,

I'm compiling the ballot. I've received definitions from

David
Nicolas
Linda
Ranjit
Elizabeth
Hutch
Pierre
Ziv
Fran
Jean-Joseph
and
Elliott

If you've submitted a definition and don't see your name here, let me 
know as soon as ever you can.

Thanks!

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 22:57:08 -0400

Hi all,

We have a lovely selection of 13 definitions, in a variety of styles, 
cultures, and even parts of speech. Only one is right. Get in your usual 
one- and two-point votes by a little more than a week from now, say, 
midnight, Sunday, the 17th of October.

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------

surra, n. A wind-eroded mass of rock resembling the sail of a submarine.

surra,conj. (obs.) Subsequently; and then.

surra, n. A soft humming sound.

surra, n. A failure mode of early swivel chairs, occurring when the 
center of mass of the occupied chair lies so far off the swivel axis 
that the chair topples when swivelled.

surra, n. (fr. Warlpiri) Stewed termites.

surra, n. A filled, flaky, Moroccan pastry, containing soft-cooked egg.

surra, n. A picnic with lots of time and wine.

surra, n. A camelid closely related to llama, alpaca, guanaco, and 
vicuña; markedly larger than the llama (approx. size of a horse). Like 
the llama, they were associated with an Aymar deity, but that deity went 
out of favor when its priests failed to predict the coming of Europeans 
to the Andes. Breeding decreased radically during Spanish rule and it is 
unknown whether any remain alive today.

surra, n. A viscous slurry of water, clay, moss, and dye used to 
decorate adobe walls, resulting in colored patterns that become 
permanent moss patterns. v.To decorate a wall with a slurry of water, 
clay, moss, and dye, typically in geometric patterns.

surra, n. A disease of some mammals, characterized by loss of appetite, 
weight loss, fever, and salivation. It is acute and generally fatal in 
horses, donkeys, mules, cattle, buffalo, deer, camels, llamas, dogs, and 
cats; a chronic form of the disease occurs in pigs, sheep, and goats.

surra, interj. A command for banishing demons. v. To banish demons with 
the command "surra."

surra, n. A broad trail created by elephants.

surra, n. Salt deposits remaining after a body of water evaporates.

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 10:44:01 -0400

Hi all,

We have thirteen defs and only five votes (David, Ranjit, Ziv, 
Jean-Joseph, Pierre). Get yours in now!

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 19:56:09 -0400

Hi all,

Still only 7 defs for 13 entries, and I'll be out of town for a few days 
anyway, so the deadline is extended to the evening of Wednesday, the 
20th of October. Vote! These definitions deserve it!

----------------------------------------------------

---

From: eLLioTT morEton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 14:16:58 +0000 (UTC)

Hullo,

None of these are the least bit plausible.

> surra, n. A wind-eroded mass of rock resembling the sail of a submarine.

Now I'm picturing a seventeenth-century pirate submarine, which sneaks
up on its prey completely submerged except for three masts hung with
black sails and a Jolly Roger.

> surra, n. A soft humming sound.

Plausible because of ``susurration'' ... but of course, that's just
what they want us to think.  One point.

> surra, n. (fr. Warlpiri) Stewed termites.

Australian languages aren't big on fricatives, so I'm guessing no.

> surra, n. A picnic with lots of time and wine.

``If I, could save time, in a bottle ...''

> surra, n. A viscous slurry of water, clay, moss, and dye used to decorate 
> adobe walls, resulting in colored patterns that become permanent moss 
> patterns. v.To decorate a wall with a slurry of water, clay, moss, and dye, 
> typically in geometric patterns.

Moss?  Does that even grow in New Mexico, or is the climate too arid
for moss?

> surra, interj. A command for banishing demons. v. To banish demons with the 
> command "surra."

I've always had good luck with ``kill -9'', but I'll be sure to try
``surra'' next time the need arises.

> surra, n. A broad trail created by elephants.

I like it.  Is that thing where they hold each other's tail in single
file for real, or just in kids' books?  Two points.

> surra, n. Salt deposits remaining after a body of water evaporates.

Maybe suggested by similarity to SLURRY?

Regards,
em