Subject: Pungle up or shut up

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:02:00 -0700

Well, that was fun.  It was neck in neck, but Elliott galloped across
the finish line with 5 points for his thing that's more useful as
something else.

Author: Merriam-Webster Online
Score: 2 (Ranjit)
pungle, v. (fr.Sp. póngale put it down) 1851- 1.transitive senses: to
make a payment or contribution of (money) -- usually used with up.   2.
intransitive senses : pay, contribute -- usually used with up.
---"Too complex?" - EZ
---"Nah." - J-J
---"Hmm.  Almost TOO believable, as long as I take the spanish
cite as an exclamation rather than an infinitive verb.  2 pts!" - Ranjit

Author: Jean-Joseph Cote:
Score: 2 (PHMA) +1 (Judith)
pungle - n. - a fishing lure that uses a geometric shape and coloring
pattern, or reflective surfaces, as opposed to resembling any sort of
bait.
---"Two points. There are lots of fishing lures, I've heard, with
obscure names." - PHMA
---"The appearance of both this and the fishook seems too
non-coincidental for neither of them to be completely wrong.  But this
one doesn't sound very dictionary-y." - EZ
---" Mine.  Inspired by "plug", which is an unrelated type of lure (like
a rubber worm?)" - J-J

Author: Eric "EZ" Zuckerman
Score:1 (LDP Miller)
pungle, n.  a flightless shorebird of the upper Nile River valley and
Lake Victoria.
---"I'm a sucker for flightless birds." - LDP Miller
---Well, I'll be surprised if there are any.  Sounds like a dangerous
occupation." - J-J

Author: Conrad Heiney
Score:1 (DRandall) +2 (Elliott)+1 (EZ)
pungle (n.) A four-tined fishhook.
---"Interesting.  Related to my lure definition, but would this have a
name? I've never seen one, but the three-timed version is just called a
"treble hook", as far as I know." - J-J

Author: David Randall
Score: Goose Egg
pungle - n. (fr. Turkish, _punkhil_) - The Jerrold-Foulkes
transliteration of the Ottoman diacritical (abolished by Kemal Ataturk
in 1927) that indicated a soft and slow pronunciation of the marked
vowel.
---"The closest thing to that description is G yumushak, which is still
very much a part of the Turkish orthography. Before Atatürk, Turkish was
written in Arabic letters, which did not fit the language well. I think
this is Elliott playing to lose again." - PHMA
---"Elliott Moreton award." - EC
---" Ladies and gentlemen, let's have a big hand for... David Randall!"
- EZ
---"Looks like Elliott's dissertation has yet to be defended." - J-J
---"Received the Randall-Moreton Award for 2000." - Ranjit

Author: Jim Moskowitz
Score: 2 (EC) +2 (J-J)
pungle, v. To throw with both hands.
---"Honorable mention; nice unoccupied bit of the semantic field there."
- Elliott
---"Sounds too close to fumble." - PHMA
---"Two points.  Not that I think the dictionary says so, but it seems
soccer-playing countries would need a word for this, and now they have
one. - EC
---"I'll give it two points, and if it's right, I'd like to know the
context in which it's used." - J-J

Author: Pierre Abbat
Score: 1 (J-J)
pungle, n. A cloth made in Bengal of hemp and kenaf fiber.
---"This survives the winnowing process to get one point." - J-J

Author: Eric C.
Score:1 (Elliott) +2 (Judith)
pungle, n.  lead angle sheathing beneath the copper flashing at a roof
overhang.
---"If I keep guessing that every construction definition is 
Eric's, eventually I will be right." - Elliott (Indeed!)
---"Reasonable, but I'm not sure Aussie would pick a word like this." -
J-J
(Don't be so sure, I was a construction estimator for many years -
Aussie)

Author: Elliott A. Moreton
Score: 2 (DRandall) + 2 (EZ)+ 1 (Ranjit)
pungle -- 1. (n.) a thing more useful for purposes other than its
intended one.  2. (vt.) to use in an unorthodox way.
---"The noun doesn't sound likely." - PHMA
---"Maybe we should have a word for this... but I don't think we do." - 
J-J
---"Brilliant! 1 pt." - Ranjit

Author: Ranjit Bhatnagar
Score: 2 (correct)+ 1 (PHMA)
pungle (n) - on certain long-haired dogs, the ruff of fur around the
neck.
---"For no particular reason: 1 point." - PHMA
---"Nah." - J-J

Author: Judith Schrier
Score: 1 (EC) +1 (LDP Miller)
pungle, n. A small sled.
---"Simple, elegant, I like." - LDP Miller
---"Nah." J-J

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:41:25 -0700

I have been informed that I have not received all my email, and I have
been having trouble with people's emails to me bouncing lately. 
Further, the ballot that was lost in transit would probably have changed
the results.  Therefore, I ask that those who voted be sure that their
votes were tabulated, and inform me if not.

Apologies in advance to Elliott, in the event that this may affect his
status.