Subject: With all precincts reporting...

From: Elliott A Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:59:41 -0500 (EST)

Speaking on condition of anonymity, Fictionary voter K*r T*lmage said:

"Great variety!  I thought it would be easy to vote, but then I kept
switching it around!"

And it seems she spoke for yall all.  Voters were bitterly divided, with
no candidate attaining an overall majority.  Fran, of the Moistened Pulp
Party, wins, defeating the Separate Gravel Party's Pierre and the Wizened
Party's Hutch by the narrowest possible margin.  

The awesome burden of leadership falls upon Fran's shoulders.  Hail to
Fran!

em

_____________________________________________________________________

raddle -- (n.)  A chute with mesh of different sizes for separating sand,
pebbles, and gravel.
By:  Pierre
5 = Jacob 1, MyS 2, David 2
Kir:  "Actually, the ones of these I've used are a stacked aet of
trays, like a bamboo steamer, but sturdier."
Joe:  "Does such a thing actually exist?  Whatever for?"

raddle -- 1. (n.)  A wooden paddle with square teeth on the end, used in
paper making.  2. (v.)  To loosen moistened pulp or fiber using a raddle.
By:  Fran
6 = Pierre 2, Kir 1, MyS 1, Aussie 2
Aussie:  "This sounds very promising."

raddle -- (n.)  (weaving)  Torpedo-shaped device with central spindle,
used to unreel yarn or thread smoothly between warp threads.
By:  Kir
3 = James 2, Pierre 1
Pierre:  "Twiddle the raddle twixt the heddle and the maddle..."
Kir:  "Must relearn how to phrase these things. After the paper-making
def, this looks badly-worded, and thus, fake. *sigh*"
Joe:  "This sounds a little too good to be right.  Admiration, but no
points."

raddle -- 1. (n.)  An unexpected success.  2. (v.)  To succeed
unexpectedly, esp. when striving for failure.
By:  Ranjit
3 = Jean-Joseph 2 + correct guess 1
J-J:  "In the previous round, Elliott grigged and won.  Or, if this were
the real definition, we'd say he grigged and raddled."
Pierre:  "You bet on the grig, but have definitely raddled."
Fran:  'no, that would be "elliott."  "I was deliberately betting on the
grig, but I totally elliotted and wound up in charge of this mess."'  [And
how!  -- em]
MyS:  "I thought that was betting on the grig...."
Joe:  "I like this concept, so I'm going to give it 2 points, even though
I don't think it's right.  (Then again, I don't think _any_ of them are
right, so I'm wrong about one of them.)"

raddle -- (v.)  To tear a pair of hose, resulting in a run or a ladder.
By:  MyS
3 = Fran 2, David 1
Kir:  "tempting! But I prefer the age."
Fran:  'well, that's actually "ruin", because the raddled hose is thus
ruined, but 2 points anyway.'

raddle -- (v.)  to make small tunnels
By:  David
2 = Eric 2
Eric:  'My unconscious is battering me with the sentence "His body was
raddled with cancer", from some unknown science fiction story from my
past.  Assuming that that isn't merely a braino for "riddled"'
Pierre:  "I don't think this warrents a point."

raddle -- (vt.)  to wrinkle or crack, as with age
By:  Hutch
5 = Ranjit 2, Kir 2, Judith 1

raddle -- 1.  (n.)  A really, y'know, awesome toy, like, for a baby.
2. (v.) the sound my totally bitchin' car makes 'cause it's like, all
rusty and stuff.
By:  Jean-Joseph
No points.
Joe:  "Words fail me when I try to respond to this."

raddle -- (v.)  to dye unevenly, so that colors bleed into each other.
By:  Judith
4 = Jacob 2 + correct guess 2
Kir:  "Niftty: a mix of wet-paper watercolor, tie-dye, and batik?"

raddle -- (n.)  (UK agr.)  Red ochre used to dye living sheep.
By:  Daniel Pool, _What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew_
(see also the results of any Web search on "raddle sheep" for
practical hints)
Ranjit 1, James 1, Judith 2
Pierre:  "That reminds me of the joke about someone who accidentally
dropped a lamb intoa vat. It fetched double the price because of its
bright blue color. She soon started a business buying lambs and selling
them in various colors. She became known as the biggest lamb dyer in
Texas."
Kir:  "*laugh* I think they use spray paint.  (Has any one else seen
the spray painted sheep?)"
Fran:  'to identify them as yours?  to make red wool before the wool goes
through all the nasty cleaning chemicals after shearing and before
weaving?  as a practical joke? to prevent reaving?  "Aha, you HAVE been
stealing my sheep, you varmint!  I've caught you red-handed!"  They put an
ultraviolet dye on all the fire alarm handles in a school I used to work
in, so they could identify students who pull false alarms.  Clearly, this
one piques my imagination, but I am out of points!'
David:  "Reddle."  [Also "ruddle" -- em]

raddle -- 1.  (n.)  A deliberately misleading map. 2. (n., slang) an
obsolete nautical chart.
By:  James
3 = Joe 1, Aussie 1 + correct guess 1
Kir:  "I like this!  Nicely piractical."
Joe:  "If there isn't a word for (1), there should be."
Aussie:  "Bizarre enough to be real."

raddle -- 1.  (n.)  The rubble left at the bottom of a pile of snow after
the snow melts. 2.  (n)  Any annoying thoughts that invade your dreams.
3. (v.) To disturb someone's sleep or dreams with nitpicking little ideas.
By:  Linda
1 = J-J 1
J-J:  "If I'm going to submit as ludicrous a definition as I did, I might
as well vote for something delightfully preposterous as well."

raddle (n.) -- A confidence scheme involving the selling of nonexistant
burial plots.
By:  Jacob
No points.
J-J:  "On the other hand, if Elliot were playing in this round, I'd be
sure this was his."
Jacob:  "Mine.  I think I was thinking of the razzle-dazzle, which I
believe is an actual confidence scheme or carny swindle."
Joe:  "I can sell you some lovely nonexistant points.  Dirt cheap!" 

raddle -- (v., archaic)  To suffer an affliction, esp. pox or mange.
By:  Aussie
1 = Fran 1

raddle -- 1.  (n., slang)  To an auto mechanic, the part of a car most
likely to need work done.  2.  (v.)  To "fix" a car part which didn't need
fixing, esp. when the customer doesn't know anything about cars.  Usage:
"Well, sir, I'm afraid I'm going to have to raddle your thrammistat."
By:  Joe (Snibor Eoj)
No points.
J-J:  'A gearhead friend of mine used to refer to the "left-handed
blivet", the "sliding Finnegan shaft", and the "irreversable Iffmann pins"
(whatever you do, don't put 'em in backwards!!)'
Pierre:  "Is that the doohickey next to the high-speed megafferator?"

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:42:00 -0800

> them in various colors. She became known as the biggest lamb dyer in

Foof.  There are no lamb dyers in Texas. The lamb is not a cow,
therefore the lamb does not exist in the Eyes of Texas.

---

From: Jed Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:11:40 -0800

Okay, so I'm way behind.  But I'm enjoying reading what people submitted
even if I'm way too late to actually participate.

>raddle -- (n.)  A chute with mesh of different sizes for separating sand,
   This is actually "riddle," no?  Which MW10 defines as "a coarse sieve"?
I've seen something similar used in archaeological digs to separate
artifacts from dirt.  (And similar kinds of sifters sometimes used to sort
gold from dirt, I think.)

>unexpectedly, esp. when striving for failure.
   :)  I assumed this one was Elliott providing a ringer def.

>raddle -- (v.)  To tear a pair of hose, resulting in a run or a ladder.
   This was one of several this round that sounded right to me, making me
think the real word for this must be similar to "raddle."  Is there a real
word for this?  Or am I just thinking of "ladder"?

>past.  Assuming that that isn't merely a braino for "riddled"'
   I was thinking something similar; I think we're both really thinking of
"riddled."

>raddle -- (v.)  to dye unevenly, so that colors bleed into each other.
   I was also thinking that "raddled" meant "mottled"; perhaps I saw it
used in regard to sheep at one point and misinterpreted due to context...
But that made this one sound plausible.

   Btw, MW10 also lists the verb "raddle" as meaning "to twist together :
INTERWEAVE".  Sort of the opposite of Kir's def, and kinda related to
Judith's.

>(see also the results of any Web search on "raddle sheep" for
   Like this one:

http://www.lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~matsuoka/EG-Cumberland.html

"Cumberland Sheep-Shearers"
by Elizabeth Gaskell

...

When the sheep is divided into its fleece and itself, it becomes the
property of two persons.  [...much elided...]  Out of the sun, in the dark
shadow of the cart-house, a pan of red-hot coals glowed in a trivet; and
upon them was placed an iron basin holding tar and raddle, or ruddle.
Hither the right hand troop of boys dragged the poor naked sheep to be
'smitten' -- that is to say, marked with the initials or cypher of the
owner. ... after the sheep were thus marked, they were turned out to the
moor, and the crowd of bleating lambs that sent up an incessant moan for
their lost mothers; each found out the ewe to which it belonged the moment
she was turned out of the yard, and the placid contentment of the sheep
that wandered away up the hillside, with their little lambs trotting by
them, gave just the necessary touch of peace and repose to the scene. There
were all the classical elements for the representation of life; there were
the 'Old men and maidens, young men and children' of the Psalmist; there
were all the stages and conditions of being that sing forth their farewell
to the departing crusaders in the 'Saint's Tragedy.'

>dropped a lamb into a vat. It fetched double the price because of its
   :)  :)  :)

   This def reminded me of a proposal by Daedalus (wacky science guy) to
feed dye to sheep in such a way that their wool grew out pre-dyed...

>raddle -- (v., archaic)  To suffer an affliction, esp. pox or mange.
   Again makes me think of "raddled with disease."

--jed