Subject: Re: 3rd new word

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:46:26 EST

In a message dated 3/23/01 5:10:09 PM, [email-masked] writes:

>So can someone enlighten us as to what "napiform," "hent," and "jargoon"
>mean?
>
>(I recall an Andre Norton book (that I never finished reading) called _The
>Jargoon Pard_ -- always assumed that was a made-up word...)

napiform: shaped like a turnip
hent: to take hold of; seize (obs.)
jargoon: type of zircon (an actual gemstone.  The Andre Norton book had 
something to do with a carved stone in the shape of a "pard" I believe.  I 
read it all the way through (I think), but remember nothing of the story.)
y'know, you can always look these up in a dictionary ;-)
(which I finally did with zax...I couldn't wait any longer!)
get those chott definitions in!
-Fran

---

From: Sarah Stockwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:22:12 -0800

> hent: to take hold of; seize (obs.)

Well, and of course there's always:

 	Up, sword; and know thou a more horrid hent:
        When he is drunk asleep, or in his rage,
        Or in the incestuous pleasure of his bed;
        At gaming, swearing, or about some act
        That has no relish of salvation in't;
        Then trip him, that his heels may kick at heaven,
        And that his soul may be as damn'd and black
        As hell, whereto it goes.

(from Hamlet III.ii).  But I've never known what it meant except what the context implies; I'll check the notes in my Riverside Shakespeare this evening.

--Sarah

---

From: Sarah Stockwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:43:18 -0800

My book glosses "know thou a more horrid hent" as "be grasped at a more 
dreadful time."  So despite what one (like me) might think from context, it's 
consistent with the meaning below, though used as a noun.

--Sarah (who knows you were all hanging on desperately, waiting for that 
information)

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:03:17 -0800

Nice that you folk have such refined references to these words.  When I
see "napiform," "hent," and "jargoon", two of them remind me of, er,
hygiene products.  I mean, "napiform" sounds like what you'd wrap a
British baby bottom with, and I used to have a boyfriend who referred to
tampons as "pontoons", so that keeps popping up in my head, too. Argggh!