Subject: Disparity

From: Jim Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 13:20:50 -0400

========
[Kir]  2 points for voting + 4 points from voters = 6 points
mesenchyme -n- digestive fluid found in the second stomach of
  ruminants.
1 point from Dave Turner
"1, even though I'm wary of all this digestin'" - MYSchaner
2 points from Linda
"Cud that out!" - Pierre
=========
[Linda] 1 point for voting + 1 point from voter = 2 points
mesenchyme, n.  An intermediate product of
  digestion, found in the upper intestines shortly before the remaining
  nutrients are removed.
1 point from Hutch
"Mine-I thought of this as the bagasses of the bowels" - Linda.
"Someone else thinking of chyme" - Pierre
=======

...so what *was* it about the first digestion definition that made so many
more people vote for it than for the second?

---

From: Dave Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 14:58:50 -0400

> more people vote for it than for the second?

Well, the phrase "shortly before the remaining nutrients are removed" is
not so good (like I have any room to talk :), because it makes it hard
to place in a sequence.  So, if I were writing a dictionary describing a
process, I would describe each step in terms of the previous step
("shortly after filtering by the liver").  Also, "an intermediate
product" did not sound as likely as "digestive fluid".

-- 
-[Dave Turner                              Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"I would say our forefathers would have been ashamed, but they were 
slave owners." - Slashdot Anonymous Coward.  Bring Pug back!