Subject: [Fictionary] Shivviness--Eric wins!

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 00:13:41 -0400

*ERIC*
shivviness - n. - A building for drying sea-kelp, usually
wood-framed, elevated on stilts, and with hinged or removable fabric walls.

Ranjit (2) + Joshua (2) + Pierre (2) + Correct Guess (2) = 8 points

*FRAN*
shivviness - n. - A descriptor of optical reflectivity.

0 points

*JOSHUA*
shivviness - n. - A small, handheld wood borer, usually attached to a spool
of thin metal wire pulled through the created hole.

Ranjit (1) + Pierre (1) = 2 points

*RANJIT*
shivviness - n. - Audacity.

Hutch (2) + Nicolas (2) + J.J. (2) = 6 points

*JEAN-JOSEPH*
shivviness - n. - Misalignment between the three electron guns in a CRT
display.

Eric (1) = 1 point

*ENGLISH DIALECT DICTIONARY*
shivviness
<https://books.google.com/books?id=rW0SAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA391&dq=The+feeling+of+roughness+caused+by+a+new+undergarment.&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi28POoqu6GAxWTEFkFHSjuBVcQ6AF6BAgIEAI#v=onepage&q=The%20feeling%20of%20roughness%20caused%20by%20a%20new%20undergarment.&f=false>
-
n. - The feeling of roughness caused by a new undergarment.

Eric (2) = 2 points

Me: I am morally certain this is related to *skivvies*, although I cannot
prove the etymology <https://www.etymonline.com/word/skivvies>.

*NICOLAS*
shivviness - n. - The personality trait of possessing self-destructive
tendencies.

Hutch (1) + Joshua (1) = 2 points

*HUTCH*
shivviness - n. - The state of being shiny, esp. of an object not normally
shiny; glossiness; glistening.

Nicolas (1) + J.J. (1) = 2 points

*PIERRE*
shivviness - n. - The woman in charge of the storage of bungs in a brewery.

0 points

*HUTCH, PART 2*
*Joke Def'n:* shivviness - n. [of machinery] - 1) The state of running
poorly and/or breaking down frequently; 2) something manufactured by the
Chevrolet Motor Car Company.

---

From: E <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 10:41:05 -0400

> Ranjit (2) + Joshua (2) + Pierre (2) + Correct Guess (2) = 8 points

I realized two nights ago that I'd probably been unconsciously
influenced by "shebeen", perhaps some of y'all were as well.

-- Eric