Subject: Results, roorback

From: Snibor Eoj <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:27:24 -0500 (EST)

The votes have been cast, and the winner is...

David, with 7 points!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Linda: Really nice defs, most are plausible.
Jean-Joseph: None of these seem likely to me at all.  Therefore, I shall
vote for the most preposterous ones, since they often turn out to be real.
Amy: So that's four South African origins and two more Dutch-of-some-sort;
five relating to animals and four having to do with food?  Wow.

> roorback - n. - 1. An oven equipped with a device for turning the food
> continuously during cooking.  2. A type of bread prepared in such an
> oven.
by Jean-Joseph - David 2, Ranjit 2 + correct guess 1 = 5 points
David: 2 points for not pertaining to South Africa.
Ranjit: 2 pts for reminding me of turnspit dogs.
Linda: the sound: rrrrr?  Learned long ago from a Frankfurt am Main Kind
(I'm not going to try to figure out the adjectives)(Like Mark Twain, "I
would rather decline two drinks than one German adjective"--I learned to
mumble what I didn't know):  "Backe, backe, kuchen, Der Bacher hat
geruefen, Wer will schoenen Kuchen bachen, Er muss haben sieben Sachen:  
Eier und Schmaltz, Zucker und Maltz, Milch und Mehl, Saffron macht das
(?)(den?) Kuchen gehl."  It's in somewhat of a dialect (gehl means
yellow).

> roorback - n. - (from Pennsylvania Dutch) A cookie made with wheatmeal,
> oatmeal, molasses, and raisins.
by Judith - Aussie 2, Ranjit 1 = 3 points
Aussie: Cookie! Give me COOOKIE! Two Points
Ranjit: Yummy!  1 pt.  Plus 2 imaginary points for returning to
Pennsylvania Dutch.
Linda: Sounds healthy; I'll take a baker's dozen.

> roorback - n. - An Afrikaner term used during the Boer War for an
> underaged soldier; a successful upstart.
by Melissa - Judith 1, Linda 1, Pierre 2 + correct guess 1 - 5 points
Kir: Nice combination of definitions.
Linda: Sounds sorta like my husband's Scout troop or a Cape buffalo.

>roorback - n. - 1. An adolescent male Cape buffalo.  2. An unruly youth.
by David - Kir 2, Melissa 2, Linda 2, Pierre 1 = 7 points
Kir: 2 pts.  Actually, I think because it only says "Cape buffalo" and not
more, I'm sorta thinking this ISn't it, but it's so niftily connected.
Even better than the Afrikaaner term.
Linda: Sounds more like the Scouts at the last meeting--full moon.
Amy: Honorable mention to this definition for best derivation.

> roorback - n. - 1. Breed of sheep, originating in Australia,
> characterized by fine, curled wool. 2. Having tightly curled wool, hair,
> or fur. 3. (Australian Kennel Association) Term for uncommon curly coat
> texture in working dog category.
by Kir - David 1 = 1 point
David: one point for sheepdog excellence.
Linda: This sounds so obviously like Aussie would have made it up that
perhaps it's real--does "roor" mean curly?

>roorback - n. - Defensive lineman in a game of Red Rover.
by Aussie - Jean-Joseph 2, Amy 1 = 3 points
Kir: Hysterical!
Linda: Oh, no, another kids' game over-organized.

>roorback - n. - A small game hen native to Central Asia.
by Amy - Aussie 1 + correct guess 2 = 3 points
Aussie: Different!  Although I'd expect a small Central Asian game cock to
wake up in the morning and go "Roorbawck-bawck-bawk-bawk!" - One point.
Linda: related to moorhen?

> roorback - n. - (from an attack on James K. Polk in 1844 quoting from an
> invented book by a Baron von Roorback) A defamatory falsehood published
> for political effect.
from Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
(http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=roorback&submit=Look+it+up)
- Melissa 1, Jean-Joseph 1, Amy 2
Kir: Clever.
Linda: Award for best derivation!
Amy: Two points for the most different definition

> roorback - n. - (s. african english) - salted dried lion meat.
by Ranjit - Kir 1, Jeff 1 = 2 points
Jeff: Of all the Afrikaans-esque definitions, I like this one the best: 1
point
Linda: Kinda like jerky?  My dog might like it; then again, she likes to
chase cats, not eat them.

> roorback - n. - A Dutch cookie made by wrapping dough around a buttered
> tube and baking without touching the rack, often served filled with
> jelly.
by Pierre - Judith 2 = 2 points
Judith: 2 points, because I like the idea of "tube bake"
Linda: And I'll take two baker's dozens of these.  They sound like a
French pastry made with puff paste.

> roorback - n. - A wild pig of the South African veldt, domesticated in
> the last few centuries and popular for its commercially viable natural
> black bristles.
by Linda - Jeff 2 = 2 points
Kir: Varient on razorback? I avoided that, which makes me wonder "did
everyone?" and "is this therefore it?"
Jeff: This is actually what I was thinking of when I first saw the word:
something along the lines of "razorback" ... which means it's probably
wrong ... but 2 points!
Linda: My own def--shoulda worded it more carefully.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You're up, David!

Snibor Eoj

[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a member of the Non-Sequitur Association of America
  "You can lead a yak to water, but you can't teach an old dog to make
   a silk purse out of a pig in a poke."  - Opus

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:20:24 -0500

> Linda: My own def--shoulda worded it more carefully.

I've seen backbrushes (I have one) and toothbrushes (I don't) made of boar 
bristle. Are Israelites allowed to use them?

phma

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:00:56 -0600

> bristle. Are Israelites allowed to use them?

I think you can safely scrub your back without violating the Mosaic 
dietary code. After all, the swine aren't sacred, they're just treyf.