Subject: [Fictionary] Cumbol Results

From: Nicolas Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:37:58 -0700

Here are your cumbol final results. I failed to fool three of you with the
real banner definition, and both Ranjit and Elliott were correctly style
spotted by others, fooling no one... which leaves Linda, who got four of
you with her tassel. I also seem to be missing some yurt history?

It's your round Linda!

Linda 6

J-J 5

Zip 5

Hutch 4+1

Joshua 2

Pierre 1

Eric 0+1

Fran 0+1

Ranjit 0

Elliott 0

Hutch: Points and commentary. Insight? I doubt it!

Pierre: Three of these are obviously fake, but about the rest I am clueless.

Elliott: These are (almost) all unusually plausible. I'm surprised that no
one submitted some variant on "CUMbersome Business-Oriented Language", but
maybe we all thought it was too obvious? Anyhow, fun round.

----

Hutch's

Ranjit 2

Linda 2

cumbol, v. To visit uninvited, commonly, at mealtime.

Elliott: ENCUMBER?

Linda: 2 points for the dinner visitor--in memory of my Grandma Lovey, who
would not stay but wanted my Mom's full attention while she was preparing a
meal.  You have to realize that my Dad insisted on supper at exactly 5pm,
as he walked in the door, something his mother (GL) never got around to in
her gallivanting.

----

Ranjit's

cumbol, n. 1. (Scotland, historical) A coin originally worth six pennies
Scots, and later three; held equivalent to an English halfpenny. 2. A small
amount of money.

Hutch: What's this? Another "baubee"? (Was that the right word???) Even
with it being so similar to a past word, it's really tempting. It just
feels Scottish. Give this one my imaginary tie-breaker vote.

Pierre: This baubee isn't worth a plugged pistareen! I suspect Ranjit.

Elliott: CUMBRIAN OBOLUS?

----

Jean-Joseph's

Hutch 2

Joshua 1

Pierre 2

cumbol, n. A long and deep, but very narrow (typically <20 cm) vertical
fissure in stone.

Pierre: I thought this was a crevasse, but maybe cumbols are narrower than
crevasses.

Elliott: Geology words can sound like anything. (Challenge: Invent a word
which, without being a compound or derivative of a real word, sounds as
un-geological as possible.)

----

Elliott's

cumbol, n. 1. (Sport.) In American House Rabbit League bunny pageant, tail
oscillation amplitude divided by distance travelled per hop.
2. Self-advertisement disproportionate to actual achievement.

Eric: 10 points for most likely by Elliott.

Hutch: I could believe that second definition... just not the first.

Pierre: I suspect Elliott.

----

Linda's

Eric 1

J-J 2

Ranjit 1

Elliott 2

cumbol, n. A tassel attached to a brass instrument during festive parades.

Eric: Should have a name!

J-J: Two points for the tassel.

Hutch: I marched with trombone and Sousaphone for six years, ~10-20 times a
year. I've never heard of such a thing.

Elliott: I can't tell you how many times I've needed a word for that.

----

Pierre's

Elliott 1

cumbol, n. The tent that the Pope stays in when visiting Kazakhstan.

Eric: Yurt alert!

J-J: YURT ALERT! (It's been a while.)

Hutch: Somehow I don't think the Pope stays in a tent... not even in
Kazakhstan.

Elliott: Yurt alert!  Yurt alert!  One point for nostalgia value.

----

Dictionary, but spotted in my copy of Tolkien's posthumous Sigurd and
Gudrun.

Eric 2

Fran 1

Hutch 1

cumbol, n. 1. (Mil.) A sign, banner, or standard. 2. (Med.) A wound or
other sign of disease.

Eric: One of the few times that a def actually seems right.

Hutch: The relationship between the two meanings seems quite reasonable.

----

Joshua's

J-J 1

Pierre 1

cumbol, n. A children's toy; a small wooden ball, often used in games of
chance.

J-J: One point for the round dice.

----

Ziv's

Fran 2

Joshua 2

Linda 1

cumbol, v. Surrender overquickly (particularly in tacky); give up before a
losing outcome was inevitable.

Fran: I saw several of the men's teams at Curling Club National
Championships concede earlier than they had to while women's teams played
on to overcome deficits and win. So this is very relevant to me

Hutch: I think that was supposed to be "particularly intact"?

Pierre: What does "in tacky" mean? Is tacky a game?

Linda: 1 point for the over-quick  surrender.  A variation of this is my
sister Nancy putting in the last piece of jigsaw puzzle she had m hidden
under her thigh or in her pocket after the rest of us gave up. Ta Da.

----

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 02:27:51 -0400

> Eric 0+1

Shouldn't Eric get 0+2?

> Elliott: Yurt alert!  Yurt alert!  One point for nostalgia value.

Three people raised the yurt alert, but no one pulled the Pope smoke alarm.

Pierre

-- 
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa

---

From: Hutch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 01:28:53 -0400

BB,
Hutch

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCM/S d+>- s+:+ a++ C+++$ ULAC>$ P+ L+ !E W++$
N+ o K? w++++/--$ O? M- V? PS+ PE/- Y PGP- t++ 5?
X-- R !tv? b++++>$ DI++++ D G+> e++ h+ r--?* y++>
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 12:38 AM Nicolas Ward <[email-masked]> wrote:

[snip]

----
> as he walked in the door, something his mother (GL) never got around to in

No, not "encumber". I was thinking of "Come by" and remembered hearing a
funny story about the single preacher who always managed to visit just
before supper time.

[snip]

----
> Hutch: I marched with trombone and Sousaphone for six years, ~10-20 times
> a year. I've never heard of such a thing.
>

I've SEEN such tassles many times. You can slip one on the pad on the end
of a trombone's slide very easily. They are horribly distracting.

Just never heard of a special word for them.

[snip]

----
> Elliott: Yurt alert!  Yurt alert!  One point for nostalgia value.

Completely missed both the yurt and the pope smoke references. D'Oh!

[snip]