Subject: sparse participation

From: "David Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 02:00:17 -0500

Just 4, including the real definition.  But that's just enough to send out
galligaskin entries.  There are few enough that people should just guess
once for their preferred definition.  I've put the entries chronologically,
in order of the putative first appearance of the word in the language.

David Randall

galligaskin, c. 1427 (a. OF _gallin_, L. _gallus_ 'cock' + ME _gaskin_
'gosling', more at -KIN).  1.  The immature male of the goose.  2. (Vulg.)
the penis (1491).  3.  Anything eaten to acquire its qualities, as, redwood
for its long life, or for qualities of similar name, as, hops in order to
hop better (1555).

galligaskin, n. 1553. [f. Ir. _cailleach_ ugly woman + Ger. _gänschen_
gosling. The form _callighentling_, more literally "ugly duckling," is also
attested, but died out in the 1600s.] 1. A baby swan; also applied to the
young of some other Anseriformes. 2. A child who is slow to develop but
excels as an adult. 1703. 3. A warm fuzzy garment for babies and young
children; so called from its resemblance to the baby swan's downy coat.
1733.

galligaskin.  Now chiefly in pl.  1577.  [app. a corruption of F.
garguesque, a metathetic var. of greguesque, ad. It. grechesca sb., orig.
fem. of grechesco Greek (this kind of hose being in 16th c. described as
alla grechesca = Fr. a la grecque in the Greek fashion).  Prob. in pop.
etym. assoc. w. GALLEY.]  1. A kind of wide hose or breeches worn in the
16th and 17th c.; later a jocose term for loose breeches in general.  Also
attrib.  2. leggings, gaiters (dial.) 1859.  3. A variety of the Cowslip
(Primula veris) 1629.

galligaskin, 1697.  [Swe. galligaskinn, f. ON. gaelgeskyn]  1. Leg armor
worn below the knee, greaves.  2. Trousers 1806.  3. Tendinitis of the lower
leg 1883.