Subject: [Fictionary] cutty-eye ballot

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:48:37 -0500

Here are ten false cutty-eyes and one true. Please vote for your favorites
in the usual way (a 2-point vote and a 1-point vote).
Deadline: end of day Tuesday, Feb 1.

cutty-eye, n. Port varnish; a mineral deposit formed on stone surfaces over
centuries from exposure to sea air.

cutty-eye, v. to estimate a distance or height of an object by using the
thumb and squinting the eye while doing so. Nautical term.

cutty-eye (n.) an Australian shrub of the genus *Iaops*
cutty-eye --- (n.)  An ectopic buttonhole, esp. one that has worked its way
around to the back of the garment where it can no longer be seen by the
wearer.

cutty-eye (n) - a void in a cake caused by incomplete mixing of
ingredients, resulting in uneven leavening.

cutty-eye, n. [naut.] a wooden shaft to which stays are tied

cutty-eye - n. - a towing or lifting hook with a rectangular or
(uncommonly) square eye. The shaped eye keeps the hook from rotating, thus
reducing the likelihood of the line dropping off the hook when slack.

cutty-eye - n. - a brandy prepared from quince and fennel.

cutty-eye - n. (Ariz. dial.) - a piece of land in one time zone completely
surrounded by land in another time zone

cutty-eye (v) - To look out of the corners of one's eyes, to leer, to look
askance.

cutty-eye, n. The hole in the cathead through which the anchor rode passes.

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 14:30:07 -0500

Reminder! Cutty-eye ballot is due by Tuesday night!

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 9:48 PM Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> cutty-eye, n. Port varnish; a mineral deposit formed on stone surfaces
> over centuries from exposure to sea air.
>
> cutty-eye --- (n.)  An ectopic buttonhole, esp. one that has worked its
> way around to the back of the garment where it can no longer be seen by the
> wearer.
>

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 11:32:04 -0500

Last chance! I'm not gonna get around to tallying votes until later
tonight, so if you've been saving a vote for just the right moment: that
moment is now.