Subject: BAGWIG ballot

From: Elliott A Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:42:47 -0500 (EST)

Here they are!  Eleven impostors and a single honest definition.  Voting, 
as usual, a la Jed (you have a 2-point and a 1-point vote; don't spend 
them both in one place).  Votes are due by ... hmmm ... let's say by that 
one precious instant when it's Thursday all over the world.  

em

___________________________________________________________________________

bagwig -- (adj.) (Pennsylvania Dutch, pronounced "bogwitch") Sloppily or
inappropriately dressed. 

Bagwig -- (n.) British judge, barrister, or solicitor who travels from
court to court to hear or try cases in outlying villages.  Slang (v.) said
of those who render an unpopular decision or defend an unpopular client,
leaving the village to live with th e results.  "Baddersley bagwigged us
on the Norton case; now we must support the blasted family." 

bagwig -- (n.) A professional pickpocket affiliated with a traveling
carnival.

bagwig -- (n.)  Common name for Anoplura uspens, a species of head louse.

bagwig -- (n.) Adolescent (3-6 months old) opossum, which rides both on
the mother's back and in her marsupium. 

bagwig -- (n.) [bag + an obscure second element] (pejorative) 1. A poor
person who carries his belongings in a bag or bags. 2. A shabbily dressed
vagrant. 

bagwig -- (n.)  A woman who has sold her hair to a wigmaker.

bagwig -- (n.) A wig with the back hair encased in a small silk sack, worn
in the 18th century. 

bagwig -- (adv.) in a slipshod and hasty manner.

   "The pitch-dark compound was in quiet confusion.  There
    were camels being loaded all bagwig, and the elephants
    were in line beside the balcony, from whose upper deck
    the girls, already masked in black, were stepping down
    like goblins into the curtained howdahs."

           Talbot Mundy, _Om, The Secret of Ahbor Valley_

bagwig -- (v.) (1) To wash up on the beach in the surf.  (2) (Slang) In
surfboarding, to wipe out and lose one's board in the water. 

bagwig -- (n.) An algal growth that occurs on limestome cave formations
when exposed to sustained light, as from tourist installations. 

bagwig -- (vt.)  1a: To belittle the importance of.  1b: To mock.