Subject: Re: [Fictionary] Misqueme - to displease (Results)

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 17:13:07 GMT

In addition, in Algonkian, Massachusetts means the People of the 
Big Hill Country; Connecticut means the Long Estuary; Narragansett means People of the Point; and Winooski, [VT] is not Polish, but means The Onions.  Learned these while building from scratch  a full-sized Sioux Tipi with our Scout troop maybe ten+ years ago for Indian Lore Merit Badge.  LInda  Husband David and I slept out in the tipi in our front field one January night and were completely warm and comfy with the fire and smoke flaps.  Heard our first great-horned owl.  Scouts also slept out in tipi several times--it held ten kids lying down or 25 sitting up--, won a Best-in-Show at a Scout festival, but kids could not use fires inside.  Oh, Tomaquag means Beaver--name of local Narragansett museum.  

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fictionary] Misqueme - to displease (Results)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 01:57:18 -0400

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 12:43:00 AM EDT Hutch wrote:
> misqueme - n. - a geological feature that approximates the name of the
> feature as known by indigenous people local to the region surrounding the
> feature. Ex: The name of Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Maine, United States is
> a misqueme, since the name approximates an Abnaki word meaning "place where
> moose eat."
> by Fran Poodry 3
> David Randall: I am at Moosehead Lake  in Maine, on vacation, right now!
> 2 Eric Cohen: Two points. And well-deserved, because i) this needs a word
> for it, and ii) the author went to the trouble of typing
> "Mooselookmeguntic".
> 1 Linda F Owens: One point for the indigenous geological forms. Chicopee
> [MA] means The Falls, in Algonkian, btw. My Dad worked in redundant
> Chicopee Falls for many decades.

There's a Hatchie River. There ought to be a Hatchisippi River or a 
Sippihatchie river. Maybe even a Stolohatchisippi River.

Pierre
-- 
Judaism uses a lunisolar calendar; Islam uses a solely lunar calendar.
____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Judge Rules Hospital Can Stop Using Ivermectin
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/61379e0e467cc1e0e3a77st01duc1
At US Colleges, a Big Shift Is Accelerating
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/61379e0e666701e0e3a77st01duc2
Authorities Have New Suspect in Family's Mysterious Deaths
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/61379e0e8604c1e0e3a77st01duc3