Subject: And the winner is...

From: Judith Schrier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:24:54 -0500

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary...however,
we will let the runner-up take over the next round: Ranjit!

indusium (n)  An ornamental vine with palmately compound leaves. 
[Jean-Joseph Cote; 2 for guessing, 1 given = THREE]
Randall: 1 point
Elliott Moreton: Uneven detail.  If you're going to say "palmately 
compound", you should give the habitat, genus, etc.  No points
Linda: I'm not sure that I've ever seen a plant with leaves of this type, 
but I would like the name of some.

indusium (n) 1) A brand of rayon fabrics made by Pakistan National Fabrics, 
Ltd.  The name was given by the textile engineer C. J. Khan in 1968.  2) 
(in Pakistan and Bangladesh) a generic term for rayon. [David Randall; 2 
for guessing, 3 given = FIVE]
Elliott Moreton: I.e., a patent fabrication.  The allusions to the Indus 
and to Latin _induere_ 'to wear' are attractive, though.  One point.
Linda: Of course, this sounds most plausible.
Fpoodry: 2 points

indusium (n) A mixture of amalaki and mehandi, used to color the hair. 
[Pierre Abbat; 2 for guessing = TWO]
Elliott Moreton: Ignotum per ignotius.  No points.
Linda: Somnehow I thought this would sound more Indian.
Jean-Joseph: If I had another ha'point, I'd give it to this one.

Indusium (n) Aerospace alloy made from several light-weight metals, with 
indium added for strength. ["lindafowens"; 1 for guessing, 1 given = TWO]
Elliott Moreton: "Industrial" plus "indium"?  The definition is too 
vague.  No points.
Fpoodry: 1 point

Indusium (n) An investing outgrowth or membrane: as the annulus of a 
fungus, esp. when large and full. [Webster's Ninth New Collegiate 
Dictionary; 11given = ELEVEN]
Randall: 2 points
Elliott Moreton: Latin _induere_ 'to wear'.  I can't account for the -s-, 
but what do I know?  One point for plausibility, and another for the phrase 
"investing outgrowth".
Ranjit: That sounds plausible, though the dictionary style is almost 
overdone.  2 pts!
Linda: How can one resist the "annulus of a fungus?" Sounds positively 
Seussian!  One point.
Jean-Joseph Cote:  Two points
Pierre: 2 points

indusium (n) The central body segment of the trilobite, between the 
cephalon (head) and pygidium (tail). [Ranjit Bhatnagar;  2 for guessing, 4 
given = SIX]
Elliott Moreton: That would be an awfully short trilobite.
Linda: As a caving enthusiast in my youth, I had always wanted to find a 
trilobite fossil, but was stuck with tons of crinoid stems, instead. 
Besides its having the three lobes, I have no idea of whether this word is 
correct and I don't really care.  2 points.
Jean-Joseph Cote: One point.  Although if not the right answer, I might 
think that it came from Pierre.
Pierre: 1 point
Fpoodry: Honorable mention

Indusium (n) The state of emergence from ennui into enthusiasm 
[[email-masked]]
Randall: Heh
Elliott Moreton: If only!
Linda: Am having toruble warming up to this use, but it may catch on.

indusium (n., med.) A thing whose name does not know or has forgotten, used 
between medical persons in the presence of laymen.  (Pseudo-Latin, 1818) 
[Elliott Moreton; 2 for guessing, 1 given = THREE]
Elliott Moreton: Oops.  Looks like I left out a "one".  Oh, well.
Ranjit: Funny!  1 pt.
Linda: WE use the word "thingie", but "indusium" sounds more 
pseudo-professional.
I can't even parse this.  Jean-Joseph
Pierre:  Reminds me of the megafferator, which is a made-up car part used 
by mechanics to confuse their customers. There's the high-speed 
megafferator and the low-speed megafferator.
Judith E. Schrier, Editor     Phone: 401-863-2511
Laboratory Primate Newsletter FAX:  401-863-1300
Box 1853, Brown University    e-mail: [email-masked]
Providence, RI 02912          www.brown.edu/primate