Subject: Raddle me, raddle me, raddle me this!

From: Elliott A Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:31:48 -0500 (EST)

Here's the lot!  

Votes are due in to me ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, March 13th.
Scoring is a la mode de Jed -- you have a 2-point vote and a 1-point vote.
Comments and/or verse are encouraged.

em

__________________________________________________________________________

raddle -- (n.)  A chute with mesh of different sizes for separating sand, 
pebbles, and gravel.

raddle -- 1. (n.)  A wooden paddle with square teeth on the end, used in 
paper making.  2. (v.)  To loosen moistened pulp or fiber using a raddle.

raddle -- (n.)  (weaving)  Torpedo-shaped device with central spindle,
used to unreel yarn or thread smoothly between warp threads.

raddle -- 1. (n.)  An unexpected success.  2. (v.)  To succeed unexpectedly,
esp. when striving for failure.

raddle -- (v.)  To tear a pair of hose, resulting in a run or a ladder.

raddle -- (v.)  to make small tunnels

raddle -- (vt.)  to wrinkle or crack, as with age

raddle -- 1.  (n.)  A really, y'know, awesome toy, like, for a baby.  
2. (v.) the sound my totally bitchin' car makes 'cause it's like, all 
rusty and stuff.

raddle -- (v.)  to dye unevenly, so that colors bleed into each other.

raddle -- (n.)  (UK agr.)  Red ochre used to dye living sheep.

raddle -- 1.  (n.)  A deliberately misleading map. 2. (n., slang) an obsolete
nautical chart.

raddle -- 1.  (n.)  The rubble left at the bottom of a pile of snow after the 
snow melts. 2.  (n)  Any annoying thoughts that invade your dreams.  3.
(v.) To disturb someone's sleep or dreams with nitpicking little ideas.

raddle (n.) -- A confidence scheme involving the selling of nonexistant 
burial plots.

raddle -- (v., archaic)  To suffer an affliction, esp. pox or mange.

raddle -- 1.  (n., slang)  To an auto mechanic, the part of a car most likely
to need work done.  2.  (v.)  To "fix" a car part which didn't need fixing,
esp. when the customer doesn't know anything about cars.  Usage: "Well,
sir, I'm afraid I'm going to have to raddle your thrammistat."
__________________________________________________________________________

---

From: "coyote's laughter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:24:58 -0500 (EST)

> raddle -- (n.)  A chute with mesh of different sizes for separating sand, 

	Actually, the ones of these I've used are a stacked aet of
trays, like a bamboo steamer, but sturdier.

> paper making.  2. (v.)  To loosen moistened pulp or fiber using a raddle.

	1 pt

> used to unreel yarn or thread smoothly between warp threads.

	Must relearn how to phrase these things. After the
paper-making def, this looks badly-worded, and thus, fake. *sigh*

> raddle -- (v.)  To tear a pair of hose, resulting in a run or a ladder.

	tempting! But I prefer the age.

> raddle -- (vt.)  to wrinkle or crack, as with age

	2 pts

> raddle -- (v.)  to dye unevenly, so that colors bleed into each other.

	Niftty: a mix of wet-paper watercolor, tie-dye, and batik?

> raddle -- (n.)  (UK agr.)  Red ochre used to dye living sheep.

	*laugh* I think they use spray paint.  (Has any one else seen
the spray painted sheep?)

> raddle -- 1.  (n.)  A deliberately misleading map. 2. (n., slang)
> an obsolete nautical chart.

	I like this!  Nicely piractical.

Great variety!  I thought it would be easy to vote, but then I kept
switching it around! 
--Kir