Subject: sebaggle: who is Randall?

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:24:52 -0500

Please find enclosed ten possible definitions for the word "sebaggle". 
All but one of them were written by someone making an attempt to sound
like David Randall.  One was written by someone who is entirely David
Randall.  One was written by someone who is sort of semi-David Randall. 
(Don't try to do the math, it's too painful.)

Anyway, please submit a two-point vote for the definition you think most
likely to really be by David, and a one-point vote for the one
next-most-likely.  Any other comments, including, but not limited to,
wisecracks, jokes, stories, poetry, or speculation as to whether a
certain definition might actually be true, would be welcomed, but will
not affect the scoring.  Get them votes in by... a week from now, Sunday,
December 5, in the evening.

Jean-Joseph
____________________________________

sebaggle - n. - A breed of sheep with wool that sheds in clumps
in the spring.  Originally bred by Walter Paceton, fourth Earl of
Sebaggle.

sebaggle - v. - 1. To follow the railroad tracks when travelling by foot
in densely forested areas.  2. To make camp along the railroad
right-of-way.

sebaggle - n. - A baked good made of salt water algae; provided by
fishwives of non-goyish extraction.

sebaggle - n - 1. A resident of the tropics [slang, a resident of Sebago
Bay, Jamaica].  2. A nudist or naturist.

sebaggle - v. - To fool someone in an extremely straight-faced way.

sebaggle - n. [19th cent. London dialect; fr. Parisian _cebaille_,
Neapolitan _cebaglio_, Turkish _zepak_] - 1. A criminal who pretends
to have gone mad and raves in the street while his partner picks the
pockets of onlookers in the assembling crowd.  2. A deranged beggar.
3. A member of a heretical South Italian offshoot of the Franciscan
order, the Tarentines, devoted to the principles of impassioned poverty.
4. A mendicant Dervish.

sebaggle - v. [airport workers' slang] - To lose a  traveller's luggage,
with clandestine intent.

sebaggle - v. [New England dial.] - To empty the nets of a fishing vessel
without disconnecting them from their booms.

sebaggle - n. - A contrived scandal, intended to create free publicity
for
a theatrical production.  (From DeCrecy Sebaggle, whose production of 
_Our American Cousin_ at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C., ran 
continuously from 1865 to 1901.)

sebaggle - v. - To artificially alter the population density of a
jurisdiction 
for the purposes of electoral fraud.  From Joseph Sebage, 1805-1884, U.S.

Representative from Maine.  See also gerrymander.