Subject: Lobster spancels

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:41:32 -0400

A friend took me and a few others out to dinner at the Red Lobster, which has 
a tank with about a dozen lobsters in it. Three of them started boxing, and 
then a fourth joined in. They were of course all spanceled, and I couldn't 
help wondering: Has a spanceled lobster ever succeeded in pulling the 
spancels off another lobster?

phma

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:02:54 -0500

> Has a spanceled lobster ever succeeded in pulling the 

I'm quite sure they have.  Asparagus, however, is entirely passive once 
bound.

---

From: Jeff Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:50:57 -0600

Really? I find myself surprised. I would have expected wild asparagus
(at least) to be FAR from passive ... bound or not.

BB,
Hutch

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:57:57 +0000 (GMT)

> (at least) to be FAR from passive ... bound or not.

Proust had this to say about the spirit of asparagus:

       "...my greatest pleasure was the asparagus, bathed in
       ultramarine and pink and whose spears, delicately brushed in
       mauve and azure, fade imperceptibly to the base of the
       stalk-- still soiled with the earth of their bed-- through
       iridescences that are not of this world. It seemed to me
       that these celestial nuances betrayed the delicious
       creatures that had amused themselves by becoming vegetables
       and which, through the disguise of their firm, edible flesh,
       gave a glimpse in these dawn-born colors, these rainbow
       sketches, this extinction of blue evenings, of the precious
       essence that I would still recognize when, all night
       following a dinner where I had eaten them, they played in
       their crude, poetic farces, like one of Shakespeare's
       fairies, at changing my chamberpot into a bottle of
       perfume."