Subject: new word: I'll tell you later!

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:34:53 -0400

Several people knew that the word "nummular" means "coinlike,"
specifically referring to coin-shaped blisters or rashes on the skin. 
I'm going off on vacation in a few hours, so, rather than try to come
up with a quick word that none of you know-it-alls know, I'll let it
rest until I get back around the end of the month.

Meanwhile, why don't you share your poetry which incorporates the
words "festinate," "nummular," and "bleb."  It doesn't HAVE to be a
verse about getting to the dermatologist in a hurry, but that does
seem to be the natural direction to start with.

- Ranjit

---

From: Mark Jason Dominus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:13:19 -0400

> specifically referring to coin-shaped blisters or rashes on the skin.

There's a Stephen Jay Gould essay about an early-20th-century
naturalist who wrote a book about the "nummulosphere", about how the
entire earth was composed of the skeletons of nummulites, tiny
extinct coin-shaped animals.

Also, the word is realted to "numismatics", the study of coins.