Subject: [Fictionary] LIMBERHAM results

From: Elizabeth Heffner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 13:13:19 -0400

Votes and comments for LIMBERHAM

Well met once more, fellow word-loving humans.     A very British round
reared its head, politely, this time around.   The winner by the tiniest of
nose tips, was Ranjit B with 7 points, followed at a sportsmanlike gallop by
 Eric C with 6 points and a slightly more sedate canter by David R with 5
points.

Ranjit was also awarded no fewer than three Gosports.

General comments:

Jim: As someone who was born and raised in the Philadelphia suburb of
Cheltenham (pronounced not "CHELT-num" as the British do, but
"CHEL-ten-ham”), I was expecting a bunch of British Isles definitions. And
I was not disappointed!
Hutch: Well, it looks like almost everyone thought it sounded generally
British.

In fact, the correct definition, which received 0 votes, was:

 n. a supple-jointed person; figuratively: a fawning, obsequious person.

Nicholas: More literally limber.
Jim: Much too on the nose. A limber ham!
Hutch: Hmm, too literal. Don't think so.

Onward now to that which is delicious and fictitious!

Linda O
n. A small village in Kent, England, known for its sweet hops.

Nicholas: It does sound like a town.

David R:  5 points
(Liverpool dial.)  n.      1) (fr. Limberham’s Extra-strength Turpentine,
ext. 1826-1932) strong turpentine; 2) strong, foul distilled spirits; 3)
strong, foul tea.

Hutch: This just feels believable: turpentine lending its name to other
strong-, foul-smelling liquids. 2 points.
Ziv: One point for the years of operation of the company. I suppose the
great depression hit the turpentine industry as much as anyone else!
Ranjit: i always like defs that have a literal and then an analogical
definition! 2 points.

Nicholas W: 2 points
n. in mortise and tenon construction, a small extension piece added to a
beam or other member that was cut too short.

Nicholas: mine!
Jim: 2 points!
Hutch: It seems like such an extension would tend to defeat the whole
purpose of the mortise and tenon???

Jim M: 3 points
n. a cotton twill hat traditionally worn in southwest England.

Nicholas: Another English place, but sounds the most plausible to me.  2
points!

Eric C: 6 points
n.  genericized mark name for heavy-duty triple-wall cross-corrugated
cardboard.

Eric: My def. I hadn't planned it, but was so pleased to get to use three
compound adjectives in a row.
Nicholas: Seems too specific to have its own name but probably this is real.

Hutch: Boring! Which means that it's probably real.
Ranjit: 1 point, so convincingly boring
Elliott: 2 points for *not* being limber.

Pierre A:
n. (from the fish market in Limberham, a town on the River Limber) any of
the ships that sail up the River Limber selling fish caught by doggers.

Nicholas: Another English place name!
Hutch: Moderately sure that there is no River Limber ... at least, not one
that reaches the sea (any of them)

Ranjit B: 7 points
n. (also “Limberham  tube”) a speaking tube used in early aviation for
communication between seats of open-air aircraft.

Ziv: This is just the right amount of quaint and just the right amount of
feasible for me (knower of nothing about aircraft) -- 2 points
Eric: Brilliant. *Exactly* what the word sounds like it should be. Two
points.
Nicholas: I’ve seen these at the Museum of Flight I think? 1 point.
Jim: I love the image, and it likely existed, although I bet hand signals
were more effective given the engine- and wind-noise. 1 point.
Pierre: Gosport award.
Fran: Gosport (from when that was the fictionary word, waaaaaay back in the
day.)
Elliott: Wait a minute, don't I know you from somewhere?  Gosport, that's what
you called yourself back then.  What's all this about Limberham?  One  point
 for old time's sake.

Jeff H:
n. a style of dance music, characterized by a 7-beat time signature,
briefly popular in northwestern England, southwestern Scotland, and the
Isle of Man during 1820-1840; thought to be of Turkish origin.  Named for
the Limberham Arms, an Ullock pub where it was said to have originated.

Nicholas: English place name!
Hutch: Mine.

Fran P: 2 points
adj. describing either screws with a specific, irregular pentagon
indentation or screwdrivers with the irregular pentagon shape required to
insert into the corresponding screws. Rarely used.

Nicolas: Archaic pentalobe?
Jim: Honorable mention for going with an adjective.
Hutch: Boring! Which means it's probably real ... but which one ... so
neither 😊
Pierre: two points. I've seen screws with three radial slots at unequal
angles, presumably because the matching screwdriver is so rare that a thief
wanting to steal bathroom stall walls would be unable to remove them.

Elliott M: 1 point
n. a bishop's mitre with attached artificial muttonchop whiskers (From the
1866 novel of the same name, a satire against Samuel Wilberforce by
"T.H.H.".)

Nicholas: Another hat, but sillier. Somehow this is probably real.
Jim: Dr.  Moreton, I presume?
Hutch: I don't believe it for a second, but too funny not to get points: 1
point

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 13:24:37 -0400

Hooray! My definition was absolutely a gosport, so it feels a bit like
cheating.

I would prefer not to take responsibility for the next round - *Eric C*,
would you do the honors?

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 1:13 PM Elizabeth Heffner <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> nose tips, was Ranjit B with 7 points, followed at a sportsmanlike gallop
> by Eric C with 6 points and a slightly more sedate canter by David R with
> 5 points.
>
> Hutch: Moderately sure that there is no River Limber ... at least, not
> one that reaches the sea (any of them)
>
>
> Ranjit B: 7 points
> Fran: Gosport (from when that was the fictionary word, waaaaaay back in
> the day.)
> you called yourself back then.  What's all this about Limberham?  One
> point for old time's sake.
>
>
> Jeff H:
> n. a bishop's mitre with attached artificial muttonchop whiskers (From
> the 1866 novel of the same name, a satire against Samuel Wilberforce by
> "T.H.H.".)
>
>
> Hutch: I don't believe it for a second, but too funny not to get points:
> 1 point
>

---

From: E Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:11:20 -0400

> I would prefer not to take responsibility for the next round - *Eric C*, 

I love doing rounds, but evidence suggests I do a completely rubbish job 
of being timely. I still feel guilty from my last round. I'll kick it 
back to you or someone else.

This last word really was delightfully English.

-- Eric   |   [email-masked]

---

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 23:18:21 -0400

Well, as bronze medalist, I will delightedly seize hold of the baton, if
Ranjit really doesn't want it. Ranjit?

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 08:34:05 -0400

Yes: please seize!

---

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 17:14:15 -0400

The word is CROTTLE.

Unless someone knows it.

But assuming no one does, definition by April 3, please.

Also, include a sentence from a Dickensian novel, referring to a character
named Crottle, whose personality reflects the definition provided.

---

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 00:16:47 -0400

Pierre writes:

Cudbear award. She was all gal, and he was a fun guy. They took a lichen to
each other. I've speculated that the verb (as in "crottled greeps") means
"to ferment with lichen, which serves as an indicator".

This is close enough to the real definition:

   1.

a common lichen found on rocks, used in Scotland to make a golden-brown or
reddish-brown dye for staining wool for making tweed.

So, a new word:

DORYPHORE

Same Dickensian imperative.