Subject: VOTE on GRISON!

From: eLLioTT morEton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:37:39 -0500 (EST)

With some of the county districts still to be heard from, I'm extending 
the deadline until Sunday evening.

em

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: eLLioTT morEton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: GRISON ballot

Here they are, a sure-to-be-award-winning anthology of work by the likes of:

  	David RANDALL!	Joshua D. MACKAY-SMITH!
  		Pierre ABBAT!	Ranjit BHATNAGAR!
  	HUTCH!		Judith SCHREIER!
  		Fran POODRY!	Jean-Joseph COTE!

and featuring a special cameo appearance by

  		Oxford E. "Ned" DICTIONARY!

You have one week to vote.  Give two points to one definition, one point to 
another.  Comments, honorable mentions, and named awards are also welcome. 
Offerings of verse and the lively arts are entirely appropriate,
as are ASCII graphics.

(Signed) E. Moreton, Secretary [L.S.]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

grison (n.) -- A vessel for storing excess cooking fat.  "We always had such 
fatty bacon that a normal grison was insufficient for a week's worth of 
drippings.  Mother used a crockery bean pot instead."

grison (n.) -- An inhabitant of the Grisons cantons in Switzerland.

grison (n.) -- A conglomerate found in Switzerland, consisting of seashells 
embedded in gray granite. Also called "graubund".

grison (n.) (rheology) -- A unit of viscosity used to describe shear-thinning 
or thixotropic fluids in the food processing industry such as ketchup or salad 
dressing.  See also: Grison viscosimeter, degree Grison.  Typical values for 
ketchup are in the range of 40-60 Grison, while Bleu cheese dressing can vary 
from 25 to 70 Grison.  Note that some ketchups are "plastic" fluids and their 
viscosities must be measured using a different method.  [Named for Eduardo L. 
Grison, who invented several devices for measuring the viscosity of food 
liquids while working for Analytical Food Laboratories 1979-1983.]

grison (n.) -- Tin disulfide.

grison (n.) -- Apathy; want of feeling; dispassion. -- "The grison of despair" 
(Macaulay).  [Fr. gris, grey.]

grison (n.) -- A falconer's protective leather or synthetic shoulder pad. 
"'Going about with a soiled grison,' they'll say about each other,
meaning unaware of their own glaring flaws."

grison (n.) -- A servant without livery, dressed in grey, for secret errands. 
"I keep Grifons, Fellows out of Livery, privately for nothing,
but to carry Answers."  (Shadwell, _The Volunteers, or Stockjobbers_, Act II, 
Scene i (1693).)

grison (n.) -- A Cajun dish composed of cornmeal, with onions, okra, and 
various "odd parts" of a chicken.