Subject: Re: Cumberground

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:09:09 -0400

>>Thanks one and all who voted for my def.  I  was describing
>>my home and environs in Exeter, RI.  while I was wondering
>>what Cumberland, RI terrain was like.
>
>Cumberland, RI, is the home of Diamond Hill, the only source of
>cumberlandite in the world.  Cumberlandite is the "state rock" of RI.

And Diamond Hill was in turn the venue for the 1991 Troll Cup, regarded
by many as the most disastrous fiasco of an orienteering meet in US
history.  Nobody got hurt, but some competitors did get confronted at
gunpoint by local homeowners, and others were detained by police.  Not to
mention numerous other problems.  The terrain is mostly mixed forest
covered with crummy knee-high puckerbrush, with a decent number of
boulders, and is not very well represented by the map.  Diamond Hill
itself has what I recall was a very small ski area (defunct).  But there
is a good ice-cream stand there.  Where do they get the rock?  I don't
see an obvious quarry on the map, although the southernmost part of the
hill isn't shown (outside the state park).  Oh, wait, there are a couple
of quarries on the other side of the road (west of Rte. 114).  Can't
remember what the rock looked like.

Jean-Joseph