Subject: Bruised, Scratched, and Foul-smelling, but Victorious!

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:47:15 -0600

Judith wins the round with 7, although Ranjit and Webster's 1913 put up 
a good fight!

Source: Jean-Joseph
Score: 2 (Ranjit)
ranny - v. - To rake grass in a uniform direction.
Comments: "I can imagine Groundskeeper Willy cursing at the schoolkids 
who dare to run on his carefully rannied lawn." - Ranjit

Source: PHMA  
Score: * (Imaginary Point).
ranny - n.- A Provençal dish of frogs, tomatoes, peppers, and onions.
Comments: "If you need a tie-breaker, give this an imaginary point."- Hutch
"FROGS?  Whole frogs?  Yechh, I didn't think anybody would cook with 
whole frogs.  In fact, just last week a friend and I were thinking, and 
the only case we could come up with where people eat amphibians is 
frog's legs.  But who knows, maybe this will turn out to be it.  Yechh." 
- J-J
(Editorial note: Dang, are gators and turtles amphibs? Guess not.)

Source: Eric, AKA silent-e
Score: 2 (PHMA)
ranny - n.- Austral.  a long-distance cross-country foot race.
Comments: "'ranny' after it's over, but 'runny' during the race?" - Judith
"Two points for sounding like 'running' and 'randonnée'." - Pierre

Source: Judith
Score: 2 (Eric) + 1 (PHMA) + 2 (J-J) + 2 (Correct) = 7 total
ranny:- adj. - badly bruised or scratched, also foul smelling.

Source: Ranjit  
Score: 1 (Hutch) +1 (Linda) + 1 (Judith) + 1 (J-J) + 1 (Correct) = 5 total
ranny - n. - (England and Scotland) sarcastic nickname for a spoiled 
young girl

Source: Webster's 1913 Dictionary, via Hyperdictionary.com
Score: 1 (Ranjit) + 2 (Linda) +2 (Hutch) = 5 total
ranny - n.- (from Latin araneus mus, a kind of small mouse) The erd 
shrew. (Scot.)
Comments: "Although I don't know what erd is, I like the idea of an erd 
shrew, so 1 pt." - Ranjit
"Spider mouse? What's an erd?" - PHMA

Source: LindaFOwens
Score: 2 (Correct)
ranny - adj. - having a rusty reddish color, as in natural fabric dyes 
made from the iron-rich soil of the South.
Comments: "You ought to see my reddish natural hair dye - now turned 
brownish with walnuts." - PHMA
"Reminds me of 'raddle'." - J-J
(Editorial comment: Dying fabrics with dirt? Tut tut!)

Source: "Language of the Livestock Mart" cited by Dictionary of American 
Regional English (DARE), according to thediscouragingword.com
Score: 2 (Judith)
ranny - n. - common-bred southern calf of poor quality.

There is, actually, an interesting digression into the ranch-style ranny 
at http://www.thediscouragingword.com/archives/arc11.shtml, which I 
stumbled over searching for "rannygazoo".  And, speaking of rannygazoo, 
I close with this bit of doggerel from Pierre:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A runner in Canberra's ranny
Was heard to remark to a ranny:
Your ranny red blouse
Would look good on a mouse
But not on the loins of a ranny.

A gardener with his knee ranny
Did suffer the bite of a ranny
While rannying wheat
He sat down to eat
His dinner of rabage and ranny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Take it and run, JUDITH!