Subject: Pingo results

From: Fran Poodry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:29:41 -0500

David Randall has won this round, with Melissa Shaner as runner-up.  They
even voted for each other's definitions!  Thank you to the late voters who
broke the three-way tie!  Note to Judith: I kept your first vote, which gave
a point to Hutch rather than Melissa.  I only noticed the discrepancy in
your second vote AFTER tallying and right before sending this out.
-Fran

0 points:
pingo -n. - a carnivorous plant with adhesive on the surface of the leaves.
by Pierre
³The word "adhesive" just doesn't seem to fit here.² -Ranjit

5 points:
pingo - n. - a large ceremonial cudgel, typically covered with intricately
tooled leather.
by Jean-Joseph
2 points for choosing correctly
1 point from Melissa
1 point from James ³...because I love the idea of a ceremonial cudgel. It's
like a judge's ceremonial gavel gone awry.²
1 point from Hutch  ³I would be more tempted by this if the fictionition
said this cudgel was related to a particular religion, culture, or practice.
But I can't find anything I like better²
³If this were real, surely it would be a two-parter, e.g.  Œ2. the
initiation ceremony of the Delta Phi tribe of State College, PA.¹² Ranjit

7 points:
pingo - n. - 1) Milton Bradley's 1947 game of duck hunting. 2) to shoot five
ducks with five shots.
by David
1 point from Jean-Joseph  ³And you get the duck in the middle for free.
Made me chuckle, so it gets one point.²
2 points from Melissa  ³2 for Milton Bradley (which is so not it, yet...
so... compelling...)²
2 points from Elliott
2 points from Kir  ³Ševen though I don't believe a word of it!²
³Bingo!² Ranjit
³Too many games! Which means that everyone is thinking along the same lines
... or that everyone is thinking along the CORRECT line.² Hutch

6 points:
pingo - n. - in bocce, a hit that causes another player's ball to move
closer to the target
by Melissa
2 points from David
1 point from Elliott
2 points from Ranjit  ³This word would be tremendously useful if generalized
to mean accidentally giving your opponent an advantage.  "You told her he's
a werewolf?  Dude, total pingo!  She loves animals!"  Two points!²
1 point from Kir  ³1 point, although it was a toss-up between this and the
soup (but isn't Cape
Verde not in Portugal?).²
³I like this, and would give it points, except it doesn't look particularly
Italian to me.² Jean-Joseph
³Too many games! Which means that everyone is thinking along the same lines
... or that everyone is thinking along the CORRECT line.² Hutch

4 points:
pingo - n. - folly; nonsense.
by Hutch
1 point from Judith
2 points from choosing correctly
1 point from Amy
³Poppycock!  Balderdash!² -Ranjit

0 points:
pingo -v.i.- of a horse, to lose a shoe; (v.i. / v.t.) informally, of a
person or animal, to lose a shoe or other article of gear or clothing, usu.
without noticing
by Ranjit
³Why did I abbreviate "usually" but not "informally?"  Because "inf." isn't
clear so I couldn't use it, but "usu." is such classic dictionaryese that I
couldn't resist.  A mistake.² Ranjit
³Too many games! Which means that everyone is thinking along the same lines
... or that everyone is thinking along the CORRECT line.² Hutch
³This is how babies lose socks! They pingo them!² Kir

0 points:
pingo - n. - a confection of marzipan and slivered almonds, eaten by
vegetarians on Shrove Tuesday as a substitute for shroves.
by Elliott
³Probably from Linda.² Jean-Joseph
³False.  The real reason is the recent inclusion of shroves on the CITES
list of endangered species in which trade is forbidden.  The domestic genus
Sirovioides or "false shrove" is also a common substitute.² Ranjit
³I don't THINK so! "Shrove" is the past tense of "shrive", meaning to
absolve. You don't eat shroves. ... Though lots of people do eat a lot on
Shrove Tuesday, better known by its French (?) name: Mardi Gras.² Hutch
³Substitute for shroves! *giggle*² Kir

10 points:
pingo - n. - (Geol.) a dome-shaped mound found in permafrost areas.
by The Oxford English Reference Dictionary, 2nd Edition (1996)
2 points from Judith
2 points from Jean-Joseph
2 points from James (though he did not submit a definition)
2 points from Amy (though she did not submit a definition)
2 points from Hutch  ³I know there's SOME geologic term along these lines
that sounds something like this. Is this the one?² Hutch
³Permafrost?  Pengo!² Ranjit
³This seems by far the most likely; why am I not voting for it?² Kir
(Yes, indeed, many of you guessed correctly that a pingo is a giant icy zit
on the face of the north.  Apparently the name comes from the indigenous
peoples of the north.  My dictionary says "Eskimo" but also admits that
"Eskimo" isn't considered polite anymore...it didn't specify Inuit or
Inupiat or any particular group.  Find a photo at
<http://www.civilization.ca/archeo/nogap/esk2.htm> from the place where
there are more pingoes than anywhere else on earth! Fran)
 
4 points:
pingo - n. - a Portuguese vegetable soup, originating in the Cape Verde
Islands.
By Judith
2 points for choosing correctly
1 point from David
1 point from Ranjit  ³I just made a yummy bean and kale soup, so I'm gonna
give this one point.²

---

From: David Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:30:52 -0500

Whee!  Clearly I must go the Milton Bradley route more often ... pingo, 
incidentally, combines Bingo with Ping the Duck, a children's book from 
the 1930s [?].

The new word is

stirk

Just to get lots of similarly structured definitions, I will mention 
that stirk is a dialect word, and that there are two definitions listed; 
please do likewise.  2 and 1 point guesses when we get to that point.

David

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:48:41 -0500

> ³The word "adhesive" just doesn't seem to fit here.² -Ranjit

This is actually the definition of butterwort, genus Pinguicula, called ping 
for short. (I sometimes call it pigwinkle.) That's all I could think of 
before packing my computers for moving.

phma
-- 
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci