Subject: gamp defs

From: Snibor Eoj <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:21:49 -0400 (EDT)

Here are the contenders for gamp.  Get those votes in by noon next 
Wednesday!  Standard 1-vote/2-vote rule.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
gamp - (n.) - A tough fiber, especially vegetable fiber.

gamp - (n.) - 1. A troop of Gypsies on foot. 2. A hobo who has difficulty
walking.

gamp - (n.) - A large umbrella. (Brit.)

gamp - (1, v.) To swindle by offering to pay a transaction with a large
denomination note, accepting the change and then switching back to another
unit of currency. (2, n.) A swindle based on the rapid switching of
currency.

gamp - (v.t.) - To boost an animal or item of furniture up the stairs by
pushing from below.

gamp - (n.) - Resonance feedback in a tuning circuit.

gamp - (n.) - The winning contender in any of the athletic competitions of
the Special Olympics.

gamp - (n.) - A metal or heavy plastic strip under the arch of a shoe that
gives reinforcement to the instep.

gamp - (n.) - The raised edge of the table on a sailing ship, which
prevents items from sliding off.

gamp - (n.) - Lumber that has been sent through a sawmill in the wrong
orientation, resulting in a grain direction that renders it unsuitable for
fine woodworking.

gamp - (v.t.) - To cheat by absconding with illegally-gambled stakes.

gamp - (v.) - (of gamblers) To purposely lose a game in order to establish
one's reputation as a poor player, in order to successfully bluff for
higher stakes later.

gamp - (n.) - The felt pad on the hammer of a piano.

Joke def from Fran:  where you send grandpa in the summertime to get him
out of your hair.  Choose from fishing gamp, golf-watching gamp,
"back-in-my-day" gamp, bowling gamp, and many more.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Snibor Eoj

[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a member of the Non-Sequitur Association of America
  "You can lead a yak to water, but you can't teach an old dog to make
   a silk purse out of a pig in a poke."  - Opus