Subject: TURNDUN results

From: Elliott A Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:48:59 -0400 (EDT)

This has gone on long enough.  The votes are in, and we are STILL tied
down in a hopeless siege of Hutch's defensive tower by Jean-Joseph's
three arrows.  As EZ said, "P.S.: This voting was *rife* with hard
decisions!  Kudos all around (don't'cha think?)!"

It's a hard decision, but I award the victory to Hutch, for
recognizing the real definition as the definition of a real thing --
an indigenous Australian religious musical instrument.  An Australian
linguist friend of mine tells me that in some languages the name (not
necessarily "turndun") is taboo.

em

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

adj.  damp and crumbly
BY FPoodry
POINTS 3 = Eric 1, Aussie 2
COMMENTS: Eric: "One points, because we need this word.  In a basement
apartment, portions of one's walls are sometimes turndun."  Aussie:
"Exactly the weird sort of def which usually turns out to be true."

turndun -n. - A heraldic device comprising three arrows bundled with a
ribbon, indicating that the father died in battle before the birth of
the child.
BY Jean-Joseph Cote 
POINTS 7 = Pierre 1, MyS 2, EZ 2, David 2
COMMENTS: MyS: "Two points to David Randall for the heraldry" EZ: " I
don't care if it's correct, it grabbeth me so."  David: "2 points and
my sincere admiration."
  
Turndun (n.): The barrel or forked pole on which a turnpike turns.
BY Conrad Heiney
COMMENTS:  Pierre: "Turn-tun"
      
turndun - n.  wooden barrel used for grape-pressing
BY Kirsten Talmage 
POINTS 1 = David 1
COMMENTS:  Hutch:  "Trying to be a "tun""

turndun, adv. Formerly; esp. before some significant event.
BY Pierre Abbat 
POINTS 4 = Ranjit 1, Jean-Joseph 2, EZ 
COMMENTS: Ranjit: "an adverb!  that deservs a point for audacity."
J-J: " I respect the audactity of going with an adverb even though
it's not an -ly word."  EZ: "for being ballsy enough to come up with
an adjective, in a field of nouns."  Hutch: "An adverb? Naah! But I
like the attempt. Was this J-J?"

turndun (N) - a silent teakettle      
BY MYShaner
POINTS 1 for guessing the right answer
(This is the one I left out by mistake.  *I* would have given it
points.)

turndun - n - a defensive tower, oft. free-standing near a castle's corner
BY Jeff Hutchinson  
POINTS:  7 = Kir 2,  Eric 2, Pierre 2, Fran 1
COMMENTS: EZ: " This would have had me, except for the "free-standing"
part"

Noun: A kind of clamp used by carpenters to hold rods in position
during sawing, gluing, etc.
BY Judith E. Schrier
POINTS 4 = Ranjit 2+2 for correct guess
COMMENTS: Kir: "I think most of my carpenters call this a clamp....But
this is my favorite."

A flattish, fish-shaped piece of wood fastened by one end to a thong
and whirled to make a penetrating noise.
BY OED
POINTS 5 = Judith 2, MyS 1, + 2 for guessing the right answer.  (The
OED always guesses the right answer.)
COMMENTS: Hutch: "Didjeridu? Or am I thinking of the wrong Australian
instrument?"

turndun (n.) - in Central Asian folk music, a male vocal
style characterized by a gutteral monotone.
BY Ranjit Bhatnagar 
POINTS 1 = Fran 1
COMMENTS: Fran: "More interesting than most" EZ: "Would that I had
another point left over to give to this one.  Phantom point, whoever
you are."  David: "Aren't they all?"
 
, n.  The portion of topsheet folded back over the blanket on a bed
made up to military standards.
BY E Zuckerman     
POINTS 1 = Aussie 1
COMMENTS:  Aussie: "But of course!"   

turndun (n) the attachment collar on a fire hose.
BY Joshua Mackay-Smith
POINTS 4 = Kir 1, J-J 1, Hutch 2

turndun - n. - specialized attachment which separates and flattens the
seam behind the presser foot of a sewing machine.
BY Aussie Meyer    
POINTS 1 = Hutch 1   

turndun - n. (Kentish dialect) - a newly-harvested field of hops.
BY David Randall
POINTS 1 = Judith 1

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:37:23 EDT

>COMMENTS: Hutch: "Didjeridu? Or am I thinking of the wrong Australian

Actually, it's pretty easy to make a didgeridoo out of a 4' piece of 
thick-walled 1.25" PVC pipe.  Just melt some beeswax with some honey or 
vaseline, and dip the end of the PVC a few times, like candle-dipping. Push 
the wax towards the center of the hole, to make a mouthpiece that is narrower 
than the pipe.  Then stick it up against your face, put your lips together 
sortof loosely, and blow.  Have fun!
-Fran

---

From: Jeff Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:59:41 -0400 (EDT)

So what IS the taboo name?

------Original Message------
From: Elliott A Moreton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: August 15, 2000 5:48:59 PM GMT
Subject: TURNDUN results

[snip]
It's a hard decision, but I award the victory to Hutch, for
recognizing the real definition as the definition of a real thing -- an indigenous Australian religious musical instrument.  An Australian linguist friend of mine tells me that in some languages the name (not necessarily "turndun") is taboo.
[snip]
A flattish, fish-shaped piece of wood fastened by one end to a thong and whirled to make a penetrating noise.
BY OED
POINTS 5 = Judith 2, MyS 1, + 2 for guessing the right answer.  (The OED always guesses the right answer.)
COMMENTS: Hutch: "Didjeridu? Or am I thinking of the wrong Australian instrument?"
[snip]