Subject: [Fictionary] ROUNCEY results!

From: Elizabeth Heffner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 13:59:43 -0500

Here are the results for the ROUNCEY ballot!

It was a very close round, but the winner is *Ziv* with *7 points*.  Ziv, I
think you have a mandate now to be lively and joyous in an archaic manner.

General comments for the round:
*Jeff H* - Several of these fictionitions strike me as being of a very
subtle political bent. Not sure if that's just my pareidolia, but if so,
good on yerz!!!
*EM* - Thanks for running the round.  I hope it's the plant that turns
inside out.

Sorry, Elliott, the correct definition was the all-purpose horse, which
received the following:

*Votes*: Jeff H (1), Jim M (1)
*Comments:*
*ZS* - Aw man I love this definition, and by meaning alone I'm very
tempted, but something about the phrasing sounds un-dictionary-ish. I'm
divided but I have to go with my style gut.
*JH* - On seeing this one, I had a distinct impression of having heard this
word used this way: 1 point
*PA* - An interesting etymological story is how the five-syllable Latin
word "paraveredus" (a spare horse for carrying messages) turned into the
German monosyllable "Pferd".
*JM* - 1 point for the phrase “all-purpose horse”.

Now for your lovely fictitious definitions!  I had a lot of fun reading
these.  As always, the creativity of this group astounds!

*rouncey *- adj. (of plant-based imitation meat products) Inauthentically
homogeneous.
*Author*: Elliott M.
*Comments*:
*EC* - Nice! Can it be extended to improbably homogeneous groups of people?
*ZS* - Though I'm a frequent consumer of plant-based imitation meat
products, I've never thought about their homogeneity...
*JH* - Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!
I know Spam is not plant-based, but it definitely qualifies as an
"imitation meat" product :-D
*JM* - Just too specific an ambit.

*rouncey* - 1. n. A person who is deliberately ignorant of a topic.  Ex. *Don't
bother trying to explain transistors - he's a rouncey and will just ignore
you. *2. adj. Describing a rouncey.  Ex.
*He's a rouncey twit who refuses to learn about climate change. **Author*:
Fran P
*Votes*: 2
*Comments*:
*JH* - I really want there to be a word for this. To the point where I'm
voting for it even though I believe it's NOT the real definition. 2 points
*EM* - There are multiple kinds of deliberate ignorance, and it seems to me
like the term would be more useful if it referred to a specific one.
Ignorant about X because you think your learning time better spent on Y?
Or because you want to be able to tell the judge that you don't know
anything about that?  Or because you don't want knowledge that might lead
to impure thoughts?  Etc.

*rouncey* - n. A hat big enough to fit your large hairdo without mussing
it. In use since Medieval times in England.
*Author*: Linda O
*Votes*: 1
*Comments*:
*PA* - One point for trying to wear a bicycle helmet over my two buns.
*JM* - “Your” sounds undictionarylike.

*rouncey* - n. Frisbee polo.
*Author*:  David R
*Votes*: 1
*Comments*:
*EC* - Oh good lord, entertaining but terrifying. After the first missed
catch must I descend amidst the thundering hooves?
*ZS* - Oh dear, I'm sure someone has tried this. But don't you catch a
frisbee with two hands? I don't know anything about horseback riding, but
I'd think you want to keep at least one hand on the horse...
*JH* - I'm trying desperately to figure out how Frisbee polo would work.
*EM* - One point, because I know so little about polo that no objections
occur to me.

*rouncey* - adj. 1. Untrustworthy.  2. Disreputable. 3. Charismatic.
*Author*: Jim M
*Votes*: 1 + 1 + 2 (+1 for the correct definition): 5
*Comments*:
*EC* - Only slightly less plausible and nice editorializing in def#3. One
point.
*ZS* - I love the semantic change this is suggesting - 2 points

*rouncey* - n. (Chiefly Scot.) A small, steep-sided, creekbed, often dry in
summer.
*Author*: Eric C
*Votes*: 1
*Comments*:
*ZS* - I also got Scottish vibes on first seeing the word -- unfortunately
I think it's more likely that someone else had the same instinct as me than
that I was actually right about it.

*rouncey* - n. Any non-animal topiary, such as an abstract shape.
*Author*: Nicolas W
*Votes*: 2 + 1 + 2 = 5
*Comments*:
*ZS* - Pretty sure this isn't it, but goodness I want there to be a
taxonomy of topiary, so 1 optimistic point.

*rouncey* - adj. (archaic) Lively, joyous.
*Author*: Ziv S
*Votes*: 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 7
*Comments*:
*EC* – Boring but plausible. 2 pts.
*JH* - I like it. But I'm out of points. Give this my imaginary tie-breaker
point
*EM* - I am having vague memories of the Tigger song from the Disney
Winnie-the-Pooh movie, where Tigger describes his species in a series of
four adjectives ending in -ounc(e)y:
``They're bouncy, ...ouncy, ...ouncy, ...ouncy,
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun''
But it's more likely that another player was inspired by that song, than
that Disney actually used an ``(archaic)'' word.

*rouncey* - n. An elaborately printed paper tag used to seal a package of
consumer goods to assure quality.
Author: Ranjit B

*rouncey* - n. Any of several South Africal herbs of the genus Cylisma,
which bear flowers on the inside of a hollow stalk, which turns inside-out
as the fruit ripens.
*Author*: Pierre A
*Votes*: 2 + 2 = 4
*Comments*:
*ZS* - South African plant names I would expect to look more Dutch-y or
more Bantu-y? I suppose it could be southern Africa rather than South
Africa, but I have to pass this one up.
*PA* - I thought of this as I was waking up from a dream in which I was in
a grocery
store and saw various imaginary vegetables. I checked my sentbox and I
wrote
"African".
*EM* - That's kind of a cool idea.  Two points.
*JM* - I can’t quite picture this, which perhaps is why I like it so much.
2 points!

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

---

From: Ziv Stern <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 14:48:31 -0500

> It was a very close round, but the winner is *Ziv* with *7 points*.  Ziv,
> I think you have a mandate now to be lively and joyous in an archaic
> manner.
>
Thanks for a great word, Liz!

For the next one, does anyone know TESEM? Let me know by the evening of
next Thursday, the 19th.

-Ziv

>
>
> <#m_5969548627139837766_m_-3601188405244595215_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>

---

From: Ziv Stern <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 15:20:31 -0500

Ah, Pierre is too good for me again, and knows the word -- I think we must
be reading some of the same books!
Here's a picture of a tesem:

I do adore David's very quick definition:
tesem - n. - a carnivore that lurks in tesseracts
If you were to see one alive, it does seem likely it would have come out of
a tesseract...

Second try, how about DARCY?

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 2:48 PM Ziv Stern <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> <#m_4734922959576155157_m_5969548627139837766_m_-3601188405244595215_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>>
>

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 21:59:44 -0500

> Here's a picture of a tesem:

Actually I think I found it in Wikipedia.

> If you were to see one alive, it does seem likely it would have come out of

I'd like to see an ancient Egyptian tesseract!

Pierre
-- 
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:05:32 -0500

Pierre

---

From: Hutch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:46:41 -0500

> I'd like to see an ancient Egyptian tesseract!

==========

Sorry, for the repeat Pierre, I inadvertently addressed it to you only the
first time.

>
> I learned of the word "tesseract" from the science fiction novel: A
> Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine l'Engle. In the novel, "to tesseract" meant
> to travel, presumably through higher dimensions, across vast distances
> without occupying the intervening spaces. Think of a Star Trek transporter
> without any technology and with a practically infinite range.
>
> My older cat is a neighborhood stray, who comes and goes as he pleases.
> When he was a little kitten, he would appear, seemingly out of nowhere, by
> my side to wail that he was hungry. (Pretty sure that he was not as he
> appeared to have been fed by at least four of my neighbors on a regular
> basis.) Because of his habit of appearing out of nowhere, I call him
> "Tessercat" from that fictional meaning of the word. :-)
>
> BB,
> Hutch
>
> -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
> Version: 3.1
> GCM/S d+>- s+:+ a++ C+++$ ULAC>$ P+ L+ !E W++$
> N+ o K? w++++/--$ O? M- V? PS+ PE/- Y PGP- t++ 5?
> X-- R !tv? b++++>$ DI++++ D G+> e++ h+ r--?* y++>
> ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
>
>
>