Subject: NUPSON: final tally

From: "Ranjit Bhatnagar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:57:40 -0500

NUPSON final turnout: unusually, my actual dictionary won this round, with
10 points for "a fool."  Mayhaps J-J was right that this lipogrammatic task
was too difficult.  Still, it was J-J who, confounding all rivals, took 2nd
with his flashing buoy at 8 points.  Congratulations!  I now hand back that
missing symbol, THE LETTER E.  Take it away, Jean-Joseph!

All-around fictionary talk:

Hutch: Holy crap! This is hard! (Hutch also coins a word: "fictionition")
James: I'll warrant that nautical thoughts hold my fancy this round. Ahoy!
Jean-Joseph: This was just way too hard, and not all that much fun.  And
that's a drag.  So don't do it again, okay?
Linda: I am totally baffld by the good assortmnt of dfs.
Elliott: I can't credit *any* of this batch!

nupson -- (1) 109.33.  (2) (colloq. U.S.) 109.  (3) (Br.) 113.  (Origin
unknown.)

ELLIOTT: 4 points
1 point for choosing right
--- Hutch: Huh!?!?
--- Fran: HA!  This one is FUNNY!  But I don't think it's right, so no
points
--- James: I did laugh aloud at this one.  Digits. Funny. Huh-huh.
2 - Jean-Joseph: Brilliant!  I'll award it two, though it's probably not
right.
--- Pierre: This is total bosh. Nobody would assign a word to a triad of
amounts such as this.
1 - Snibor Eoj: An intriguing approach to avoid using that particular
symbol!  Worthy of a small award, although I'm dubious of this digit-only
submission.  1 point.

nupson, n. [Of doubtful origin.] A fool. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.

WEBSTER'S: 10 points
2 - Aussie: Ah, this is it. 2 points.
1 - Arthur
1 - Hutch: A distinct possibility. Now, how high to cast a ballot? ... and
only 1 point for this sorry word
--- Jean-Joseph: "Doubtful"?  "Dubious"?  (Linda?)
2 - Judith
1 - Linda: Lik "of doubtful origin" and fact it appars old.  1 point
2 - Snibor Eoj: A fool am I, possibly, for giving this any points, but this
works, in my mind.  2 points.
1 - Elliott: That -son part truly adds an insulting air.  Half of two
points.

nupson, n. (slang) prompt-card.  (for Wm. NUPSON, union of prof. prompts)

FRAN: 2 points
--- Hutch: Working too hard for it
--- Jean-Joseph: Huh?  From that linguistic Mississippian au-pair?  (With
off-limits *Initials*!  Okay, howzabout "Prof. M."?)
2 - Linda: I lik this for som strang rason.  2 points
--- Elliott: That's a no-good union!  Our uprising won't want prompting.

nupson, n.--Old hand gun, custom tooling, Ag or Au inlay, 1-of-a-kind
styling, craftsmanship of Guy Nupson and sons, Tucson, Arizona.

LINDA: 2 points
"What I likd about writing this was all th sons:  Nupson, sons, Tucson, and
Ari(s)ona."
1 for choosing right
--- Hutch: Working too hard for it
1 - Fran: This one grabs my imagination, so I'll say 1 point.
--- Jean-Joseph: "Ag or Au"?  I don't think so.
--- Elliott: Nor will it want guns, craftsmanship or no craftsmanship.
Lawful tactics only, that's our watchword.

nupson (n.) - A small mark on a work of art indicating that it is not an
original, just a copy.

SNIBOR EOJ: 4 points
2 for choosing right
2 - David
--- Hutch: If "just" was "only" I might go for it ... but no.
--- Jean-Joseph: "Just" is awkward.
--- Pierre: Ghost point. This signification sounds as though it wants a
word.
--- Linda: Nvr hard of this, but it would hlp the art historians.
--- Elliott: Why say "small"?

nupson - int. - an informal salutation; [fr 1920's Brooklyn]

HUTCH: 3 points
1 for choosing right
2 - Fran: 2 points for this, which sounds very good
--- Jean-Joseph: Uhhh... no.
--- Judith: Not to be confused with 'sup, bro? a more modern informal
salutation.
--- Linda: lik waving fingrs on your nos???
--- Snibor Eoj: Similar to today's "with it" salutation, "Whazzup?"  I don't
think so.

nupson, n. - A clay drinking mug with a lid.

ARTHUR: 6 points
1 for choosing right
1 - Aussie: I'm voting for Clay! 1 point.
2 - Hutch: A distinct possibility. Now, how high to cast a ballot? ... Two
points, for this fictionition.
1 - Jean-Joseph: Why not?  I'll award my solo point to this.
1 - Pierre: A monic point to this word signification.
--- Linda: Hmmm, you would us this with a cadwgan???

nupson - n. - Round Scottish floury loaf, with balls of dough forming a
common pull-apart mound of buns.

AUSSIE: 2 points
2 for choosing right
--- Hutch: Almost ... but no cigar.
--- Jean-Joseph: Klutzy.
--- Linda:  Yum! PS probably has lots of oatmeal in it.

nupson - n. - A flashing buoy that marks a soft mud or sandy shoal.

JEAN-JOSEPH: 8 points
1 - David
2 - Arthur
--- Fran: Too good.  No points.
2 - James: I award TWO POINTS to this particular "nupson" ballot-participant
1 - Judith
2 - Pierre: I award this two points, for it has truthshininghood, similar to
a nautical word that sounds similar to a son of carina.
--- Linda: nun?

nupson, n. A bag of sand or similar stuff put on a foot of an apparatus,
such as a rooftop radio dish, so that it stays put and is not blown away by
wind.

PIERRE: 2 points
--- Hutch: Working too hard for it
--- Aussie: How SILLY!
--- Fran: Oooh, this is akin to what my brain usually pops out with.  But I
think the word is "sandbag."  Also no points.
--- Jean-Joseph: "Stuff"?  Nobody would say it this way.
--- Linda: A littl modrn.
2 - Elliott: I could almost buy this as military slang.  Two points.

nupson: (n) A salutation, but with satirical implication.

JUDITH: 2 points
2 for choosing right
--- Hutch: Too similar to my own
--- Jean-Joseph: Nah.
--- Linda: A vrry juicy razzbrry.

nupson - n. - a nautical dish of rat hash and hot biscuit.

DAVID: 1 point
--- Aussie: Yo ho, it's Nupson this night, you scurvy tars!
--- Hutch: TASTY!! Rat Hash! Just like Mom's! ... but not worth a point, I
think.
--- Fran: I wish I had thought of this, but no points
1 - James: ...and I award A SOLITARY POINT to this silly thing
--- Jean-Joseph: Oooh, yum!  Com'n' git it!  :-P
--- Pierre: Rat hash?! Nobody would find a rat aboard a ship - sailors put
disks on moorings so that no rats can board it, to ward off bubonic malady.
--- Linda: yuck! Bttr than starving.
--- Snibor Eoj: Ugh.  Sounds foul.  No thanks, I'll stick with just a
biscuit, if you don't mind.

Kir's word was lost in mailtronic limbo, so it hit my inbox too tardily, but
it is worth displaying:

NUPSON (n) a wound cravat, without a brooch or clasp. First worn in salons
of London ~1830s by Arthur "Harry" Nupson, artist and Baron of North
Mawlings, York.

KIR

postscripts:

HUTCH:
P.S. Wow! That WAS tough!

P.P.S. Now, how to post this dispatch to y'all without
using the illicit mark.

P.P.P.S. *ROTFLMAO*

ELLIOTT:
Thanks to your annoying symbol policy, I can't so much as sign this!  You
know who I am, though.

---

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:07:00 -0500

> nupson - n. - a nautical dish of rat hash and hot biscuit.

The thing is, rat meat is widely eaten in some places, I believe.  In the
South Pacific, Spam is a very popular product.  More Spam per capita is
consumed in Hawaii than any other state in the US.  Some time ago, a
product was introduced on some other island in that general part of the
world (I forget where -- Phillipines?) that was also a canned meat
product, called Star.  Yep, Star spelled backwards is...

> --- Pierre: Rat hash?! Nobody would find a rat aboard a
> ship - sailors put disks on moorings so that no rats can
> board it, to ward off bubonic malady.

Oh, right.  Sailors *wish* there were no rats on ships.  This is like
saying that squirrels never get into bird feeders.

Jean-Joseph