Subject: [Fictionary] tyg results!

From: E <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 21:58:59 -0400

Not like it hasn't taken me long enough. Enjoy!

We have a clear winner this time, with Ranjit and his persistent
chewing. Take it away Ranjit!

-------------------------------------------------------

General comments:

Pierre: I was expecting a Slavic derivation, perhaps from the verb pair
тыгать/тыгнуть.

real

tyg, n. A large pottery mug with three or more handles dividing the rim
into sections for several drinkers. Specimens are known with as many as
nine handles.

1 Nicolas, 1 Elliott = 2

Eric: You could look it up! They're in Wikipedia!

Elliott: "Pottery" sounds somehow un-dictionary ("earthenware"?
"ceramic"?) Nine handles would give it a fearsome circumference. One point.

Ranjit

tyg, v. To chew persistently, as with chewing gum or cud. From Danish
_tygge_, chew.

2 Elliott, 2 Hutch, 2 Pierre, 2 Joshua = 8

Elliott: Well, that behavior needs a name, and I can't think of any
reason to vote against it, so two points.

Pierre: Two points for etymology.

Hutch

TYG, abbr. A TLA (Three-Letter Acronym) for "Thank You, God". It has
spread to moderately common usage in Christian on-line sources. See also
TYJ. [UseNet: first known appearance 1998 November 3 by user Shrew in
the talk.religion.christian group.]

2 Fran, 1 David, 2 Ranjit = 5

Elliott: I thought Usenet had a small "n".

Ranjit: 2 points for t.r.c.

Fran

tyg, n. A game of chance involving tossing cowrie shells onto a flat surface

2 Nicolas, 1 Pierre, 1 Joshua = 4

Nicolas: 2 points, nice and simple.

Elliott: I might have gone for this one if the shells had been whelks,
but "tyg" has a North Sea ring to it in my ears, and I have a vague
sense that cowries are tropical.  Vague linguistics plus vague biology
isn't enough to base a vote on.

Elliott

tyg, n. A staged cannon, the ammunition of which is a smaller cannon,
which may in turn fire a still smaller cannon, and so on.  (_A True and
Complete Narrative of a Voyage to Mars, With Observations Concerning the
Manners and Morals of its Surviving Inhabitants, by A Gentleman of
Wiltshire_, London, 1810.)

2 David + 1 correct vote = 3

Elliott: Precursor to staged rockets.  I suspect the physics is against
this one, because in a rocket, the propellant is also the reaction mass,
whereas in a tyg, the propellant is the gunpowder and the reaction mass
is the previous cannon.  It sure sounds like something someone would
have tried, though.

Hutch: I have the distinct feeling that I've seen this title before. Has
someone posted it in a fictionition before? Is it the subtitle of _Out
of the Silent Planet_ by C.S. Lewis? Or a Baron Munchausen story?
Whatever? I don't think so! :-)

Pierre: Reminds me of Elliott's bell in a larger bell (aficot, 2020-06).

Ranjit: I suspect Elliott here.

David

tyg, n. (Malay) Orangutan spoor.

1 Ranjit = 1

Pierre: Unlikely, as 'y' isn't a vowel in Malay, even in the Dutch
orthography.

Joshua

tyg, n. A medium-sized gall appearing on a deciduous tree root, caused
by subterranean bacteria in the soil, often causing disfiguration or
stunted growth over time.

1 Fran = 1

Elliott: I don't think a dictionary would say "subterranean bacteria in
the soil"; it would have left out one or the other.

Pierre

tyg, n. A South African and Namibian cookie flavored with rooibos and
termite mushrooms.

1 Hutch = 1

Elliott: Oh, *those* cookies! No thanks, I'm not hungry.

Hutch: I don't really believe this one, but it deserves a vote for sheer
chutzpah: 1 point.

Pierre: I should have added the etymology: Afrikaans, from German Teig.

Nicolas

tyg, v. Select; anoint. n. A multi-round weighted-choice voting method.

1 correct vote = 1

Hutch: I thought that the point (or *a* point, at any rate) of
weighted-choice voting was to eliminate the need for multiple rounds of
voting?

-- Eric

---

From: Nicolas Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2024 11:01:22 -0700

> On Jul 31, 2024, at 6:59 PM, E <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Nicolas
> 

That's why no one tygs anymore! I was inspired by the "tig" game that was played on occasion at/around SWIL table when I was on campus.

--Nick