Subject: Re: Who are you people?

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:57:47 -0500

> What other ties have we had?

There were quite a number of ties, some of which were resolved by the
word-picker coming up with some arbitrary tie-breaker criterion, and
occasionally by having the two tied people alternate picking words.  In
such cases, I used that as the tie-breaker, and declared the one who
actually picked the next word to be the winner, for these purposes.  Ties
decreased somewhat with the introduction of Jed scoring, and were also
apparently the target of other experimental scoring systems that resulted
in scores with a lot of decimal places, or unweildy fractions.

Here are the anomalies:
Gina won "ustulation" in a tiebreaker, but I (tied for 1st) picked
"pernio".
Dominus won "salacacaby", but J&N (3rd?) picked "guimpe".
Jim won "temulent", but Melissa (tied for 3rd) picked "bagasse".  (Am I
missing one in here?  Ah, I am: it was Jim's matching game, but I don't
have the results, and in any event, no definitions were submitted.)
Aussie won "darapti", but declined for lack of a word, so I (2nd) created
"sebaggle".
Judith won "glochinate", but David (tied for 2nd) picked "quat".
Eric Zuckerman won "gambier" but absconded with the "zax" results, so
Elliott picked "asternal".
I won "atrip", but Elliott picked "culch".  (I suspect I'm missing the
word I picked in between.)
Judith won "laura", but hadn't submitted a new word, so I eventually
stepped in with "epinasty".

I also must note that there's a little ambiguity as to the identity of
"Eric" in some results, since they didn't always specify Cohen vs.
Zuckerman, but I took my best guess, which I think is probably right. 
And I know there was another anomaly prior to my complete records; I
think that no word followed "zurf", and eventually somebody picked up the
ball after a hiatus.

To fill in, does anybody have the results from shroff, snead, geat,
cerumen, lanose, cresset, zurf, sanies, uliginose, swoopstake, looby,
oxyurous, eupatrid, ulatrichi, thalloid, notornis, scovel, or any other
words prior to ustulation?  (I have results for infangtheof, wlonk,
xerclod, and sastruga).

Thanks,
Jean-Joseph

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:23:53 -0500

> word I picked in between.)

The word in between was "nuchthemerinal", which I realized I knew after a 
nuchthemerinal period.

phma