Subject: Re: chott and bagasse

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 23:26:42 -0400

>>Which words do you want definitions for?
>Anything older than "murnival".

Not a complete list, but here's what I have.  It's very sad; although I
participated in the rounds for all of these words except for "looby",
half of them I don't recall ever having seen before, and almost none of
them did I remember the definitions of.  And I'll note that the real
definitions aren't the best part of this game, it's some of the wild fake
definitions and comments that really make this all worthwhile.

Jean-Joseph

P.S.: Apologies if I accidentally grabbed fake definitions for any of
these instead of the real ones.
________________________________________

looby  n.  A big, clumsy person

infangtheof -- in medieval English law, a feudal lord's right to try in
his baronial court any wrongdoer captured on his lands.  Also
infangenthef.  Compare outfangtheof.

wlonk - adj. - 1. Proud, haughty.  2. Rich, splendid, fine, magnificent.

xerclod - n. - A trapezoidal piece of spruce or hard balsa on the pod
section of a model rocket boost-glider that serves as a hook for
attaching the glider section.  [back-formation from the label "piece X"
found on early plan diagrams]

sastruga - n. - A long, wavelike ridge of snow formed by the wind and
found on the polar plains.

ustulation - n. - _Pharm._  The roasting or drying of moist substances to
prepare them for pulverizing.

pernio - n. - a chronic form of chilblain.

fidola. - n. - a viola played in American or British folk idiom.

baubee - n. - (Scots) a halfpenny.  After Alexander Orrok, Laird of
[[Sillbawby]], 16th-century Scottish master of the mint.

glusk, v.  To squint.

salacacabia (n): an uneatable soup of great pretensions.  (or Salacacaby
of Apicius)

guimpe - n.  A starched cloth covering the neck and shoulders as part of
a nun's habit.

loco-foco - 1.  n. self-lighting cigar invented by John Marck in 1834.
Also, nickname formerly applied to the Democratic party in the United
States.

modesty - 1. freedom from conceit or vanity   2. propriety in speech,
dress, or conduct.

nosema - n. - A type of infectious dysentery that afflicts bees.

cottabus, n.  An ancient Greek game, which consisted in throwing wine
from cups, without spilling, into metal basins.

jequirity, n.  1. Indian licorice.  2. the poisonous scarlet seeds of
this plant, used for making rosaries and as a standard weight.

cypripareunia.  n.  Sexual intercourse with a prostitute.

zeme - n. - [Carib _cemi._] an idol or tutelary spirit worshipped by the
aborigines of the W. Indian islands

manille. n.  [Fr. manille, from Sp. manilla, a game of cards, manille,
from mano; L. manus, hand] In card playing, the card second in rank in
the games omber and quadrille.

temulent - adj. - Drunken, inebriated.

bagasse - (n) the residue left after sugar has been extracted from sugar
cane

gonotheca, n. in some colonial coelenterates, a cylindrical capsule
containing a reproductive polyp.

afflatus - (n) inspiration or powerful impulse, as of an artist or poet

holothurian (n.) Any of a class (Holothurioidea) of echinoderms having an
elongate flexible tough muscular body; a sea cucumber.

sulcate - adj. - (Biology) Having narrow longitudinal indentations;
grooved.

stringhalt  (n.) a condition of lameness in the hind legs of a horse,
caused by muscular spasms.

latticinio - n. opaque white glass, often used in threads for a
decorative pattern on glassware

gosport, n. -- a flexible speaking tube for communication between
separate cockpits of an airplane.

murnival, n. In the game of gleek, four cards of the same value, as four
aces or four kings; hence, four of anything.

...and for those of you who arrived more recently than Pierre:

hutchet, n. a hunter's horn: bugle

murrey - adj. - Grayish to dark purple.

garbure  (n)  a thick soup made with bacon and cabbage, with cheese and
stale bread added.

littress - n. - a smooth paper used for making cards

cabomba (n) - any of a genus of plants of the waterlily family, esp. a
water plant with submerged, finely divided leaves and rounded, floating
ones: used in aquariums, garden pools, etc.

contango - n. - 1.  (Stock Market) The premium or interest paid by the
buyer to the seller, to be allowed to defer paying for the stock
purchased until the next fortnightly settlement day. 2. (Law) The
postponement of payment by the buyer of stock on the payment of a
premium to the seller. See Backwardation.

costean -- (v.)  to prospect for a lode by sinking a pit into the
bedrock.

vigoro - n. - A team ball game combining elements of cricket and
baseball.

lanternise (v) - to spent one's time in learned trifles.

pistareen n. - (prob. modif. of  Sp. peseta) an old Spanish silver piece
circulating at a debased rate.

raffinose, n. -- a crystalline slightly sweet sugar obtained commercially
from cottonseeed meal. 

meristic - adj. - involving modification in number or in geometrical
relation of body parts

kist (n.) A chest, box, or locker.

slype - n. - [prob. fr. Flem. _slijpe_ place for slipping in and out] : a
narrow passage, specif. one between the transept and chapter house or
deanery in an English cathedral.

FESCENNINE (adj) (ribald songs sung at rustic weddings, prob. fr.
Fescenninus 
of Fescennium) scurrilous, obscene

spancel (v): 1. to keep a cow or other large animal from moving by tying
its legs together.  2. to prevent a crab from pinching by inserting the
point of a leg into the base of each claw.

fordo   v.   1.  To bring to ruin.   2.  To exhaust utterly.

paphian - adj 1 of or relating to Paphos or its people 2 of or relating
to illicit love, wanton -- n 3 a native or inhabitant of Paphos 4
prostitute

cothurnus - (n)  1. a high thick-soled laced boot worn by actors in Greek
and Roman tragic drama  2. the dignified somewhat stilted style of
ancient tragedy

eruke, n. A malshave or malshrag.

tip-stretcher  -- (n.) An apparatus for stretching hat crowns.

ambrette, n. An old variety of pear, Pyrus communis, amber pear, with a
faint odor of ambergris.

colorstruck - adj. - (colloq. Afr/Am) - obsessed with light complexions.

darapti, n. A syllogism of the form: Every foo is bar, every foo is baz,
therefore some bar is baz. See ferison.

sebaggle [variety round, not a real word, you were supposed to write a
definition that sounded as if it came from David Randall]

galligaskin.  Now chiefly in pl.  1577.  [app. a corruption of F.
garguesque, a metathetic var. of greguesque, ad. It. grechesca sb., orig.
fem. of grechesco Greek (this kind of hose being in 16th c. described as
alla grechesca = Fr. a la grecque in the Greek fashion).  Prob. in pop.
etym. assoc. w. GALLEY.]  1. A kind of wide hose or breeches worn in the
16th and 17th c.; later a jocose term for loose breeches in general. 
Also
attrib.  2. leggings, gaiters (dial.) 1859.  3. A variety of the Cowslip
(Primula veris) 1629.

morepork -- (n.) An Australian owl, Ninox boobook; also applied to the
owl Spiloglaux novaezeelandiae and, erroneously, to a frogmouth nightjar
or podargue

glabella - n. - The space between the eyebrows, just above the nose.

plench  n.  a hand tool used for gripping, pulling, and turning objects
under zero gravity, operated by squeezing the handle.

dern, adj. 1. Secret. 2. Trustworthy with secrets. -v. To hide.

derb : adj : rough, uncrystallized, massive.

tat - n. - (slang) dice; esp. false or loaded dice.

glochinate.  adj.  Having a double hook on the end.

quat - n. - 1. a pustule; a small boil; a stye.  2. Applied
contemptuously to a (young) person.

picoline - n. - Any of three isomeric liquid methylpyridine bases, C6H7N,
derived from coal tar, horse urine, and bone oil and used as an
industrial solvent.

mollag, n. The skin of an animal, blown up as a bladder, and used as a
float. See Xenophon's ANABASIS, 3:5, on crossing a river.

pungle, v. (fr.Sp. póngale put it down) 1851- 1.transitive senses: to
make a payment or contribution of (money) -- usually used with up.   2.
intransitive senses : pay, contribute -- usually used with up.

turndun -- n.  A flattish, fish-shaped piece of wood fastened by one end
to a thong and whirled to make a penetrating noise.

interbastation n. Patchwork.

gambier - n. - a yellowish catechu obtained from a Malayan woody vine of
the madder family and is used for chewing with the betel nut and for
tanning and dyeing.

zax (n.) a hatchetlike tool for cutting and dressing roofing slates. [The
lost word, results for which never appeared.  Technically, we are
currently playing interim rounds of fictionary, still waiting for the zax
winner to be crowned.]

asternal -- (adj.)  1.  Not connected to the sternum.  2. Lacking a
sternum.

atrip  - adj. & adv. - just clear of the bottom, as an anchor

culch (_also_ sculch) -- (n.) 1.  A natural bed for oysters.  2.  The
spawn of the oyster.  3.  Clean trash or rubbish.  4.  Someone or
something held in contempt.

wamble -- (n.) 1. A wobble or roll. 2. An upset stomach.

grig (n.) A lively, bright person.

raddle -- (n.)  (UK agr.)  Red ochre used to dye living sheep.

chott (n) 1. The depression surrounding a salt marsh, esp. in North
Africa. 
2. The bed of a dried salt marsh.

dorbel (n) A dull-witted pedant, a foolish pretender to learning; from
Nicholas Dorbellus, a 15th-century professor of philosophy and follower
of Duns Scotus, whose name gives dunce

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:25:50 -0400

>found on early plan diagrams]

I couldn't find this in the dictionary or on the Web, except on Jed's site. Did
someone sebaggle us?

phma

---

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 06:49:44 -0700 (PDT)

> I couldn't find this in the dictionary or on the Web, except on Jed's site. Did

I managed to find one more reference, from the usenet group
rec.model.rockets exactly one year ago (using groups.google.com):

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=xerclod&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=1&ic=1&selm=390cab8d.4087064%40enews.newsguy.com

From: Scott D. Orr ([email-masked])
Subject: Re: Questions about Boost Glider Boosts [Again--Someone answer, please!] 
Newsgroups: rec.models.rockets
Date: 2000/04/30 
 
[...]

There could be some side-to-side movement, because the piece the
glider fuselage was cut from is actually a bit narrower than the piece
the pod pylon was cut from (and I think the xerclod is a bit narrower
than the fuselage, though I've built that part up with tape).