Subject: gamp results

From: Snibor Eoj <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:57:03 -0400 (EDT)

Fran edged out Merriam-Webster by a point to save the day!  Take it away, 
Fran!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
General comments:
Amy: Hm, "gimp", "damp"/"damper", "ramp", "decamp"?
David: Despite heavy competition, I think my definition still wins the bad
tastesweepstakes.
Hutch: Interesting that three people thought of scams and cons:
four if you want to count the Gypsy/hobo def.
Kir: Bother, they're all equally troublesomely dubious!
Pierre: Two disabled defs, three gambling defs.

gamp - (n.) - A tough fiber, especially vegetable fiber.
by Judith - 1 Ranjit - 1 POINT
Jean-Joseph: Hemp.
Eric: Hemp.
Linda: Sounds indigestible.

gamp - (n.) - 1. A troop of Gypsies on foot. 2. A hobo who has difficulty
walking.
by Pierre - 2 Correct vote - 2 POINTS
Jean-Joseph: Gimp.
Eric: Gimp + tramp.
Kir: mentioned as my favorite, for amusingness of having a word for a
troupe of Gypsies w/ neither horse nor cat.  Don't believe it for a
moment.
Linda: Gambol? Gimp?

gamp - (n.) - A large umbrella. (Brit.)
by Merriam-Webster (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?gamp) - 
2 Aussie, 2 Eric, 2 Kir, 1 Linda, 2 Pierre - 9 POINTS
Eric: Less implausible than some.  Two points.
Linda: I want one!  One point

gamp - (1, v.) To swindle by offering to pay a transaction with a large
denomination note, accepting the change and then switching back to another
unit of currency. (2, n.) A swindle based on the rapid switching of
currency.
by Aussie - 2 Arthur, 1 Melissa + 2 correct vote = 5 POINTS
Jean-Joseph: Hmm.  When I worked as a cashier, the higher-ups woudl refer
to this as "flim-flam", but I have no idea whether that's an accepted
term.
Linda: flimflam??
Pierre: Hmm?

gamp - (v.t.) - To boost an animal or item of furniture up the stairs by
pushing from below.
by Ranjit - 2 Fran = 2 POINTS
Fran: In honor of the three moves I helped with last week, and the
upcoming move into my new house, I'm giving this one two points, and for
those who know me, no one better be bringing a animal to my new house!
Jean-Joseph: Just animals and furniture?  What about major appliances or
large pieces of luggage?
Linda: There should be a name for this.  The worst things I had to help my
husband carry upstairs were 1) a huge old Zenith tv that belonged to my
ill brother and 2) a cast iron wood stove.

gamp - (n.) - Resonance feedback in a tuning circuit.
by Amy - 1 Arthur, 1 Kir = 2 POINTS
Fran: This one is not in the physics curriculum, but I like it, so I am
giving it honorable mention.  My students like learning how LC circuits
can be used to select what parts of a signal go to the tweeter and which
parts go to the woofer.
Jean-Joseph: Sheesh.  If this is it, theh I ought to know it.  Such a
circuit would probably be underdamped, but I don't remember the word
"gamp".  Who know what words those nutty ham radio folks use, though.  
But I'll pass.
Linda: Sounds real?

gamp - (n.) - The winning contender in any of the athletic competitions of
the Special Olympics.
by David - 0 POINTS
Jean-Joseph: Ah yes, the gimp champ!
Aussie: (Bronx cheer) Oh, yeah, right, they're gonna have a word that
sounds like "gimp".
Eric: Gimp + champ.
Linda: Sounds offensive.

gamp - (n.) - A metal or heavy plastic strip under the arch of a shoe that
gives reinforcement to the instep.
by Linda - 1 Fran, 1 Amy, 1 Jean-Joseph, 2 Ranjit, 1 Pierre + 1 correct 
vote - 7 POINTS
Fran: And finally, one point, because I wish I had thought of it, and it
sounds like something that needs a name.
Jean-Joseph: Well, good enough for one point.
Eric: Shank.
Linda: Mine, from vamp.

gamp - (n.) - The raised edge of the table on a sailing ship, which
prevents items from sliding off.
by Fran - 1 Jed, 2 Amy, 2 Jean-Joseph, 2 David, 1 Hutch, 2 Linda - 10 
POINTS
Amy: Two points, possible nostalgia bonus 'cause my dad's on a research
cruise right now.
Jean-Joseph: Joe once noted that he was "emailing wirelessly from Perl
Whirl in the Caribbean", I believe, so I'll assume that Perl Whirl is a
sailing vessel, and that Joe would be familiar with a word like this.  
Two points.
Hutch: I know there's also a word for *this*: 1 point.
Kir: Most plausible; don't know why I didn't choose it.
Linda: Very useful, and they have them on baby high-chair trays and some
regular trays, too.  2 points

gamp - (n.) - Lumber that has been sent through a sawmill in the wrong
orientation, resulting in a grain direction that renders it unsuitable for
fine woodworking.
by Jean-Joseph - 2 Jed - 2 POINTS
Jean-Joseph: Mine.
Linda: I'd use a stronger-sounding word with less flair.

gamp - (v.t.) - To cheat by absconding with illegally-gambled stakes.
by Eric - 2 correct vote - 2 POINTS
Jean-Joseph: Huh?  To do what?  "You weren't supposed to make that bet, so
I'm just going to take your money and go home"?  Sounds like a good way to
get a bullet in the back.
Linda: gambling

gamp - (v.) - (of gamblers) To purposely lose a game in order to establish
one's reputation as a poor player, in order to successfully bluff for
higher stakes later.
by Arthur - 2 Melissa - 2 POINTS
Jean-Joseph: Standard hustling technique.  But I've never heard it called 
this.
Linda: You see a lot of this on tv sitcoms.
Pierre: I thought this was called hustle?

gamp - (n.) - The felt pad on the hammer of a piano.
by Melissa - 1 David, 2 Hutch, 1 Aussie - 4 POINTS
Jean-Joseph: And the other felt thing is a damper.
Hutch: I know there's a word for this. This might be it: 2 points.
Aussie: One point, lovely!
Linda: damper?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Snibor Eoj

[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a member of the Non-Sequitur Association of America
  "You can lead a yak to water, but you can't teach an old dog to make
   a silk purse out of a pig in a poke."  - Opus