Subject: scagliola?

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:11:56 -0400

First, a hint: "scagliola" is a noun.  I mention this because nobody took
up Ranjit's challenge:  "i'll be impressed if anyone manages to make a
non-noun out of this!".  (Obviously, I couldn't reveal the nature of the
challenge any earlier.)  So, the question at hand is, of course, which
noun?  Send me your twosies and your onesies by... hmm, I'm away next
weekend, so get them in by 5 PM on Thursday, and I'll send the results
out Thursday night.
_______________________________________________
scagliola - n. - Carp rig with hair trigger.

scagliola - n. - A type of cabbage with wrinkled leaves.

scagliola - n. - A device for exercising newly constructed violins.

scagliola - n. - An itching under the skin felt when a Supreme Court
decision goes against your desires.  

scagliola - n. - A work of art made by pressing pebbles into wet plaster
and removing them when it dries.

scagliola - n. - An Italian pastry, usually filled with fruit paste, but
occasionally (as scagliola de mandorla) with almond paste.

scagliola - n. - The dot following a musical note that indicates it
should be held for an additional half the length of the original note.

scagliola - n. - Plasterwork in imitation of ornamental marble,
consisting of ground gypsum and glue colored with marble or granite dust.
 [It., diminutive of  /scaglia/, "chip".]

scagliola - n. - A collective payment demanded by a law enforcement
authority of several entities at once (esp. organized gangs) in order to
overlook illicit activities for a fixed period of time .

scagliola - n. - 1.  The enclosed winding staircase through which the
Pope and Cardinals enter and leave the public audience chamber of the
Vatican.  2.  Disagreement or rivalry which must be dissembled in public
but which re-emerges quickly and violently in private.  [It., 'little
staircase'.]

_______________________________________________
As a tiebreaker, if we need one, send me your guess as to who send in the
following comment about Scagliola (not really quite a joke definition):
> Yeh, he was the guy who tried to put my pigtails in the inkwell
> many years ago.

Jean-Joseph