Subject: thirl defs

From: Snibor Eoj <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 16:07:28 -0400 (EDT)

Defs galore!  Get those votes in by midnight next Wednesday!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

thirl - 1. (n.) The drizzle of sweat flung up from the legs of a horse
into the face of the coachman.  2. (n.) Hence, any indignity attendant
upon a humble occupation.

thirl - (n.) A female impersonator by occupation but not by inclination.

thirl - (n.) The part of a sewing machine that brings the thread around
the lower bobbin.

thirl - (n.) A Medieval henchman

thirl - 1. (n.) A hole or perforation.  2. (v.) To pierce or perforate

thirl - (n.) Use of two or more similarly patterned fabrics with some
significant difference in color or pattern size, in the same ensemble.

thirl - (n.) A teardrop-shaped metal channel, used to maintain a minimum
radius of curvature in a cable when forming a terminating eye.

thirl - (n.) The sound of a bagpipe or similar instrument.

thirl - (v.) To snore lightly with a musical note.

thirl - (n.) On a three-masted schooner, the third sail.

thirl - (n.) The felt-chinked water-cooled earth-brick hut of the Uighur
people, used to store ingots of soured yak-butter.

thirl - (n.) A peon whose work in the fields belongs to his lord, but who
has the right to all or some proceeds from his animal husbandry.

thirl - (n.) Art whose wretchedness induces nausea.

thirl - (n.) A finial at the top of a gatepost.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Snibor Eoj

[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a member of the Non-Sequitur Association of America
  "You can lead a yak to water, but you can't teach an old dog to make
   a silk purse out of a pig in a poke."  - Opus