Subject: Re: the epinasty conclusion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:38:51 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/02 9:09:56 PM, [email-masked] writes:

>epinasty - n. - A layer of felt just under the finished roofing, used as
>additional weatherproofing (in a roof).
>by Fran.  Ranjit 2, David 2, correct guess 1 = 5 points
>Elliott: Doesn't feel right with the -y.
>Ranjit: Could it be a yurt reference?
>Josh: That could get awkward in the damp.  Also, it's a layer.

Actually not related to yurts but inspired by my parents' recent adventure in 
roof replacement.  Their roof had an "unexpected" layer of felt under the top 
layer of roofing, causing delay in finishing, causing waterstains on the 
ceiling when the roof wasn't finished before it rained.  The "unexpected" is 
in quotes because the roofers claimed that they had never seen this before, 
but then I looked it up on google and found diagrams of roofs constructed 
with felt as part of the weatherproofing process, as if it were a common 
thing.  Is anyone on the list a roofer?
-Fran

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:03:31 -0400

On Monday 22 April 2002 16:38, [email-masked] wrote:
> Actually not related to yurts but inspired by my parents' recent adventure
> in roof replacement.  Their roof had an "unexpected" layer of felt under
> the top layer of roofing, causing delay in finishing, causing waterstains
> on the ceiling when the roof wasn't finished before it rained.  The
> "unexpected" is in quotes because the roofers claimed that they had never
> seen this before, but then I looked it up on google and found diagrams of
> roofs constructed with felt as part of the weatherproofing process, as if
> it were a common thing.  Is anyone on the list a roofer?

Truss you to come up with a def like that. Me, if I had a roof, I'd get a few 
rafters and float down the river in the summer, that's my atticude.

phma