Subject: Fictionary: CHOOSE YOUR AMBRETTE

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:11:00 -0700 (PDT)

Fifteen ambrettes lie before you.  Choose wisely, for your fate
depends on it.  You may choose twice: one point for a quick,
painless death, and two points for freedom.  ONLY ONE WILL LIVE.

I shall return when the light of the setting sun falls upon the
wall of your cell for the seventh time.  DO NOT FAIL TO CHOOSE.

ambrette, n. A bulbous flask.

ambrette, n. A four-wheeled cannon support.

ambrette, n. Hard, golden, translucent plastic, a modified form of
celluloid.  Formerly used in jewelry as a substitute for amber.

ambrette, n. A hatchway.

ambrette, n. An inherent craving for the physical, esp. at the expense
of the spiritual.

ambrette, n. A mild appetite.

ambrette, n. An old variety of pear, Pyrus communis, amber pear, 
with a faint odor of ambergris.

ambrette, n. 1. One of the markings used in place of a numeral on a
stylized clock or watch face.  2. Any dot or tick marking on a clock or
watch face, including minute markers.

ambrette, n. An ornamental iron fireplace screen designed to hold small 
candles.

ambrette, n. A small carriage, usually drawn by a pony, but occasionally
by a large dog.

ambrette, n. 1. A small glass bottle containing ambergris or other
perfumes. 2. An aphrodisiac. 3. A flirtatious young woman

ambrette, n. A strong liqueur made from gin, honey, and the oil of
any of several nuts, esp. hazelnuts or beechnuts.

ambrette, n. A style of cursive handwriting, formerly much used in
legal draughting because of its resistance to alteration. 

ambrette, n. A tool with a rounded point, used in conjunction with a burin for
carving wood.

ambrette, n. (archaic) A unit of weight equal to nine grains.

JOKE DEFINITIONS:

ambrette, n. A hair clasp for underarm hair, used during a thankfully 
short period of sleeveless women's wear during the reign of Henry VIII
-- Jeff Hutchinson <[email-masked]>

ambrette, int. What Brett says when introducing himself.
-- Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>