Subject: Andabate, andanine, andaten, and eleven!

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:15:54 -0400

andabate, adj. Related by remarriage, as a step-sibling, half-sibling, or 
step-cousin.
by Linda Owens. 11
Judith: 1 point
AChu: 2 pts.
JDMS: One point.
Ranjit: 2 pts
MyS: 2 for remarriage relations
JJ: A half-sibling doesn't have to involve remarriage, in fact, it doesn't 
have to involve marriage at all.  But it certainly could.
Fran: 1 point
Elliott: Maybe I'm being led astray by AGNATE, but I'm going to give this one 
two points.

andabate, adj. Without hair in the center of the scalp, as with a tonsure.
by Melissa Shaner. 6
Judith: 2 points
Linda: 1
Hutch: This one seems a) the most believable and b) the most different from 
the others: 2 points.
Ranjit: 1 pt
JJ: A glabella that's too high up.
Elliott: CELIBATE.

andabate, v. imper. Perform the final task in a series of tasks in a contest. 
[And now, the final round in the "world's strongest man" competition: the 
wall of stones. Gentlemen, andabate!]
by Fran Poodry. 3
Linda: 2
David: 1 point
JJ: Not often you see a verb that exists only in imperative form.  In fact, 
I'm having trouble coming up with one.  Every command that I can come up 
with, seems like the person being addressed will then do what you ask 
(maybe), and the same word will apply.  If I say "charge!", you charge. If I 
say "jump!", you jump. If I pick an irregular verb, it still matches the 
infinitive, e.g, if I say "Be!", then you are... but you try to be.  Are 
there any imperative verbs that don't match the inifinitive in English?  I 
don't know.
Elliott: END DEBATE?

andabate, adj. Of concern to no-one.
by Ranjit Bhatnagar. 3
Hutch: Of the less believable, this one wins: 1 point
JJ: This gets two points because it's unobtrusive enough to be left over.

andabate, n. (Med. Latin term of rhetoric) The recitation of satirical verse 
in support of an ad hominem argument. 2
by David Randall.
MyS: 1 for the clearly false medieval rhetoric
JJ: Unlikely.  Very unlikely.  But a point for Elliott-like-itude.
Elliott: DEBATE?

andabate, v. To erroneously write a character in mirror-image.
by Jean-Joseph Cote. 2
JDMS: Two points.
JJ: Mine.
Fran: I don't get this one at all! I hope it gets explained in the results!

andabate, v. To consciously slow one's pace when walking in order to draw 
level with a passerby.
by AChu. 4
David: 2 points
JJ: The opposite of the first definition. To abate your walking speed. So it's 
out.
Fran: 2 points

andabate, v. To take a stroll.
by Joshua D. Mackay-Smith. 1
AChu: 1 pt.
JJ: Walking.

andabate, n. A soldier who fights on horseback while blindfolded.
by Ancient Romans. 1
JJ: I think a better word might be "casualty". David?
Elliott: Nice!  One point.  David Randall?  (By the way, yall, David's novel 
_Clovermead_ just came out!)
JJ: Okay, so after taking a peek on the web, I suppose this is the correct 
one.  Did you actually find this as a definition somewhere, or is the wording 
yours?  Seems like this is more of an example of an andabate than a 
definition of one.
(I got it from the OED and reworded it. The horseback is from the etymology.)

Elliott gets 1 point of a romphaia. Fortunately his attacker couldn't see him, 
so it's not serious.

andabate, v. To hurry; to accelerate.
by Jeff Hutchinson.
JJ: Well, seems like the opposite of slowing your walking speed (see below), 
so it's out.

andabate, n.  An Iberian stew, made with seafood, beef, and vegetables.
by Judith Schrier.
JJ: Andalusian bait, with some other ingredients.

Hutch: Wow! What a great word! As many adjectives as nouns and almost twice as 
many verbs! I'm highly impressed. Where to go, what to choose! Decisions, 
decisions!

JJ: Why do I associate this word with walking?  Maybe "andante" means 
"walking" in Italian?  In Latin I think the root is ambul-, and I don't know 
if that's a match or not.  But in any case, I will exercise my option to 
throw out any words related to walking, just on a whim.

Elliott: I'll rule out from the start anything that looks like it's based on 
ANDANTE or AMBULATE.

Joke def from Judith:
Andabate: (v) To argue on and on and on and on.

phma
-- 
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa