Subject: Re: plench results

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:18:05 -0500

>The parentheses indicate that flax or hemp is the direct object
>of the verb plench. You don't plench of flax; you plench it. Here's
>the third def of "doff" from the OED:
>
>To put off as a dress or covering; to throw off, lay aside; hence
>(in wider sense), to do away with, get rid of (anything associated
>with oneself).

Well, no.  "Flax or hemp" isn't the direct object of draw, "stems" is the
direct object.  You plench stems.  (Strictly in zero-g, of course.)  Hmm,
I suppose I can see it the other way, though, if it's used as you say. 
Typically you can dispose of anything in parentheses without trashing the
grammar of the sentence.  The example dioesn't apply exactly, because
"of" is an inseparable part of the weird verb "to get rid of", so it has
to stay outside.

>plench  n.  A weak solution of salt and/or iodine sometimes added
>to Scotch whisky during the fermentation process.
>Jean-Joseph
>"Ugh, I'm sticking to rye!"(aussie)
>"Isn't iodine a poison?"(EZ)
>"Oh dear.  I think this person needs to visit more distilleries.  Hm.
>Maybe I do.  I recommend the one in Oban."(Kir)

Sounds preposterous, and I didn't really think it would be a popular
guess, but if you ever happen upon a book listing all the single-malt
distilleries in Scotland, check out the reviews.  Like for wine, there
are a bunch of strange adjectives used to describe the flavors of
whiskies, and a surprising number (not a large number, but *any* number
is surprising) are said to taste of iodine.

Jean-Joseph (whose last alcoholic drink was a shot of Scotch whisky in a
pub in Scotland... in August of 1991)