Subject: the truth about pedocal

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 00:59:50 -0500

Business has closed for the day!  (Because it's midnight here, that's
why.)  So voting has closed, and here's what we have:
_______________________________

First, general comments:
  Melissa: Completely implausible, the lot of them.
  James: Let's see, most of them had to do with "foot" or "base", or else
something childish and clinical. Just for sheer contrarianism, I'll try
and give points to those who avoided these modes.
  Linda: In this pedocal of life, my pedocal was pedocal in the flooded
pedocal of the Nile.  Normally pedocal or pedocal, but acting pedocal
today, I was pedocal no more.  Expending a pedocal, but regaining it with
pedocal, I was free at last!
_______________________________

Next, joke and withdrawn definitions:

pedocal - adj. - Of or having to do with feet, most commonly, poetic feet
(Hutch)

pedocal - adj. - close enough to walk there.
(Fran)
_______________________________

The genuine real-and-fake defs, and guesses (and everybody scored!):

pedocal - adj. - (Botany) Dangling.
by Ranjit
Aussie 2, David 1, Judith 2, James 2, Hutch 2, Linda 2 = 11 points ...
and the winnah!
  Aussie: Well, I like this a lot.
  James: Hmmm...is "dangling" even a botanical term? Perhaps it isn't,
which is why they had to come up with "pedocal".
  Hutch: I usually don't go for obscure scientific terms of one sort or
another, but this one sounds quite believable
  Linda: I can't think of anything more accurate, alas, and so much for
my 35 year
old degree in biology.

pedocal - adj. - Pertaining to the stalk by which a brachiopod attaches
itself to the seafloor.
by Pierre
Kir 1, Judith 1, Melissa 1, correct guess 2 = 5 points
  James: Floor stuff.
  Linda: Either this one or the previous is a penduncle????

pedocal - n. - Generic term for a weight-gaining formula for children.
by Linda
Ranjit 1 = 1 point
  James: Fatten 'em up for slaughter? Is there a pedocal section at my
local GNC?
  Ranjit: Sounds like a formula for fattening up kids.
  Judith: Shouldn't that be capitalized?  Isn't it an infant formula?
  [note: these last two comments were submitted with the defiitions, not
with the guesses, so Ranjit and Judith were a step ahead of Linda --
except Ranjit fell for it anyway.  As far as I can tell from a web
search, by the way, there is no formula called Pedocal. -ed]

pedocal - adj. - Unintentionally supercilious or condescending.
by James [Yes, James! after a long hiatus.  No sign of his customary
assistance from the presumably lovely Nova, however.]
Aussie 2, Ranjit 2 = 4 points
  Aussie: Unintentionally?  Is that possible?  I'd like this definition
without it.  Ugh! I don't like any of the others.  Okay, one point for
unintentionally supercilious or condescending.
  Linda: pedantic?

pedocal - adj. - Ordinary, unsophisticated.
by Judith
Pierre 1 = 1 point
  James: That one's the opposite of mine--I should give it 1 point, since
I'm always wrong. Too much like "pedestrian", though.
  Linda: pedestrian?

pedocal - adj. - Of or having to do with children or childishness;
"pedocal behavior".
by Hutch
correct guess 1 = 1 point
  James: Well, it's certainly a better term for me than those which are
typically used...
  Linda: Possibly. --I still get ped and pod mixed up.
  [puerile? -ed]

pedocal - adj. - 1.  Having an IQ score below 40 on the Stanford-Binet
test.  2.  Being at a level of cognitive dysfunction in which tasks must
be learned by physical repetition.  n. - 1. A totally kinesthetic
learner.  2. (Psych. slang) An idiot.
by Fran
Melissa 2, James 1, correct guess 2 = 5 points
  James: I'll give this one ONE POINT, for the gutsiness of using two
parts of speech.
  Linda: I should know this, but never studied Stanford-Binet stuff or
used it when I taught

pedocal - n. - The amount of energy expended to gnaw off one's foot.
by David
Amy 1 = 1 point
  Kir: Amusing!
  Amy: Terrific etymology.
  James: Bwa-ha-ha!
  Hutch: Hilarious!! Put together the two bits and mix well with plenty
of spoof
  Linda: This is truly original.

pedocal - n. - (chiefly British) A treadmill.
by Aussie
David 2, Fran 1, Linda 1 = 4 points
  Kir: Appropriate.
  James: More with the feet.
  Linda: Okay, I  bite.

pedocal - n. - (Geology) A lime-rich soil of cool, semi-arid and arid
regions.
by The American Heritage Dictionary
Kir 2, Amy 2, Fran 2, Hutch 1, Pierre 2 = 9 points
  Kir: there is something soil-related starting with ped, now that one
mentions it...darned if I can recall what. So if this isn't it, I happily
give points to the sneaky one who tickled my brain.
  Amy:  the only one that sounded plausible to me.  I don't know, this
word just didn't sound like an adjective to me.
  James: Hmm, botany and now geology. Do arid regions have lime-rich
soil? I suppose if this is the right definition, I'll find out.
  Hutch: BORING!!! (Thus probably right)
  Linda: Never heard of this, not did my husband who has a 35-year old
degree in geology (but needs to take a rock identification course), but
at least it has only a remote (cal) fictionary ring to it.  No points
left, though.
  Pierre: to be costeaned with cumberlandite.
  [pedo- turns out to mean either "soil" or child, while pedi- means
"foot". -ed]
_______________________________
Jean-Joseph

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 01:40:23 -0800

>   [pedo- turns out to mean either "soil" or child, while pedi- means

That's int'resting!  So we should not necessarily condemn the
"pediphile" for his yearnings towards milady's tootsies.