Subject: Will the real "eruke" please stand up?

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:04:16 -0400

Here are the definitions. Vote 2 on one and 1 on another. Polls close in one
week.
---
eruke, n. The gore or insert at the back of a man's formal jacket.

eruke, n. Japanese ornamental woodcarving, usually at the end of a structural
beam and often representing animals.

eruke, n. A conical structure built from straw, used for the cremation of Bantu
tribal elders.

eruke, n. A Malaysian spear.

eruke, n. A broad, curved harpoon with a serrated tip.

eruke, n. 1. An elevated fence of ropes or cables slung between trees so as to
obstruct giraffes while allowing other animals free passage. 2. An area
enclosed by such a fence. -vt. 1. To enclose an area with an eruke fence. 2. To
trap a giraffe by driving it into an eruke.

eruke, n. (archaic) A wooly muffler worn loosely draped to allow the wearer to
duck his face into it and cover his belches.

eruke, n. A broad-brimmed, low-crowned hat worn by ancient Gaels.

eruke, v. 1. To suspend a student's residence privileges in a university's
dormitory or living quarters.  2. To reprimand a student, esp. with warning of
summary expulsion.

eruke, n. [Inuit] Curved knife used to strip blubber from whales; flenser.

eruke, n. A malshave or malshrag.

eruke, v. To forcibly dislodge, uproot.
---
Extra not-for-credit definitions (both by Elliott Moreton):

eruke, n. A young dugong whose parents were married in a civil ceremony and are
now divorced.

eruke, n.  An owdered orsehair ig.

phma