Subject: Re: Who are you people?

From: Elliott Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:36:42 -0500 (EST)

I am the ex-widower of COARZON AQUINNO PRESIDENT OF THE PHILLIPINES and
needing YOUR KINDNESS.  I fled the revolution leaving behind TWELVE
MILLION DOLLARS in Krugerrands which I sawed each one in half putting the
ONE HALFS in cave on the iland CORREGIDOR and the other in an airport
locker at IDELWILDE in New York State of American, which I have the KEY.  
IF YOU CAN HELP ME RE ATTATCHING then we BOTH GETTING RICH?!

Oh, all right.  Elliott Moreton, 34, originally from Oxford, MS;  
Swarthmore '88, currently a visiting asst prof in the dept of ling at the
Univ of So Calif in Los Angeles (which is why I haven't had so much time
to play lately).  I've been on this list forever, but have no idea how I
got there!  The early years are shrouded in mystery.  How far back do the
archives go?

em

PS to Jean -- say hi to Clive for me!  I can't believe he is still using 
the partlister. You'd think a utility like that would be standard on CAD 
packages now....  "Nothing lasts like the temporary", eh?

---

From: Mark Jason Dominus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:22:29 -0500

I live in Philadelphia with my wife, a cat, and several plush
octopuses.  I was denied admission to Swarthmore in 1986.  My primary
occupation is to write a book about advanced programming techniques.
(http://perl.plover.com/book/) I also do programming training
(http://perl.plover.com/yak/) and sometimes consulting.  I was
inducted to the fictionary list by Jed Hartman.

Elliott Moreton <[email-masked]>
> I've been on this list forever, but have no idea how I

The current incarnation as a mailing list, including automatic
archiving, only goes back to 1999.  However, I have saved almost all
of the fictionary messages since 1996.  But since I postdated you, I
don't have any record of your first appearance.

(The archive retrieval feature is not very useful right now; it only
supports retrieval of one message at a time.  (Send a message to
[email-masked] to retrieve message #123.)  I could fix
this quickly if there was interest.)

I started hosting fictionary as a mailing list on Plover because:

        While I was managing this round of fictionary, I kept worrying
        that maybe I'd lost someone's name out of the mail header, or
        that I'd removed the wrong name or added the wrong name.  So
        I've set up a `mail alias' for the fictionary people; when I
        send mail to [email-masked],' it spreads out to all
        fifteen people.

        I'll try to keep the list of people up to date.  If you want
        to use this address as a convenience when you are in charge,
        please do; if not, you can still do it the old way and just
        list all the recipients in your mail message.

        If anyone objects to my having set this up, please do let me
        know and I'll get rid of it.

In 1999 I got tired of maintaining the list by hand and migrated it to
an automatic mailing-list-management system.  (Mail to
[email-masked] for instructions.)  

The list, by the way, has grown from 12 to 28 people.  Most of the 12
members in 1996 are still frequent particpants.

---

From: Jed Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:02:20 -0800

The first round of this email fictionary game was in November, 1994, when
Jim picked the word "shroff".  See
(http://www.kith.org/logos/words/lower2/uuliginose.html) and the associated
word list at (http://www.kith.org/logos/words/fictionary/wordlist.html) for
a little more info.  For "shroff," the people on the list were:

Ruth Alfasso
Jed Hartman
David Loebell
Elliott Moreton
Jim Moskowitz
David Randall
Stephen Sample
Melissa Shaner
Peter Wong

I don't have Jim's original mail that started the game, but I'm guessing
that he invited all of those people.

There was an almost year-long hiatus in '95-'96; MJD must've joined right
after the hiatus.

A quick who-am-I:

Jed Hartman.  34.  Another one of them Swatties (class of '90).  Former
writer of "Words & Stuff" column online; currently, tech writer at
Macromedia, and senior fiction editor at online speculative-fiction
magazine _Strange Horizons_.  Haven't been an active fictionary player for,
ulp, a couple of years now, unfortunately.  Still take a peek at how the
game's going every now and then.  Originator, iIrc, of the 1-point/2-point
scoring system.

--jed

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:16:30 -0500

> IF YOU CAN HELP ME RE ATTATCHING then we BOTH GETTING RICH?!

Oh really? My mom went to school with Corazon Cojuangco (sp?) before she 
became Aquino.

phma