Subject: hoggin tally

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:50:40 -0400

Fran apparently wanted to vote, but she couldn't find her ballot.  I sent
her another, but then I decided not to wait, since Fran's vote wasn't
going to matter anyway -- she won by a huge margin.

Jean-Joseph

General comments:
Amy: Wow, five "unit of volume" definitions... hard to pick...
Pierre: There are four kegs. They all can't be right...
Eric: Too many hogsheads out there, no one-point vote.
Joe: Five definitions of fluid measure?  Wow!  What's the record for
similar definitions on a single word?
Elliott: What a *great* selection!  I've no idea which one is right. 
Category I:  Of or pertaining to pigs.  Category II:  HOGSHEAD plus
FIRKIN.  Category III:  Miscellaneous plausible.  Category IV: 
Miscellaneous implausible.
Linda: Sorry, but I can't bring myself to vote for a Prez, only 3
vices.... PS As usual, I outsmarted myself and used a common def. 
Unfortunately, hoggin sounds like a small cask, so which one is the real
cask?

hoggin - adj - Musty or moldering; usually used of wooden buildings or
furniture.
by Josh.  Joe 2 = 2 points.
Ranjit: At least they could pick up a hoggin and sweep it out a bit.
Joe: This has a nice feel to it.  Rings true.
Elliott: Just doesn't sound adjectival enough.

hoggin - n. - A ham and banana milkshake.
by David.  Elliott 1, Eric 2 = 3 points.
Elliott: Clever, this last -- HAM plus NOGG?  Ranjit?  David?  One point
for making me laugh.
Eric: And yet another reason to be vegetarian, or Muslim, or keep kosher.

Pierre: Gykh.
Joe: Yuck.
Will: Yuck! Not only does there not need to be a word for this, there
does not need to be a concept of this....
Jean-Joseph: Okay, so how finely should I chop the ham?  These are two
foodstuffs (ham and bananas) that people sometimes supply me with,
thinking that I really want them, when in fact I don't particularly.  It
would be good to have a recipe to use them up.

hoggin - n. - (Chiefly British) Loose gravel paving surface, often used
for trails and squares, etc.
by British paving professionals.  Aussie 2, Melissa 1, Pierre 2 = 5
points for the truth.
Aussie: 2 points to this for originality and feel. 

hoggin - n. - (Chiefly British) A feast held to celebrate a bountiful
harvest.
by Joe.  No points.

hoggin - n. - Jocular term for the Eschatophone (TM), a brass tube,
shaped like an inverted J, which on the short side ended in a flared bell
(opening downward to keep out the rain), and on the long side
communicated with a buried coffin.  The deceased would thus hear the Last
Trump long before his neighbors, and, assisted by numerous other
technical improvements, could rise early and go to the head of the line. 
(1923. From Charles A. _Hogg_, who claimed the invention and promoted it
in the U.S., plus _coffin_.)
by Elliott.  Linda 1, Will 2 = 3 points.
Ranjit: David and Elliott, please remember that you are not eligible to
receive the Randall-Moreton Cup, and if this is one of you two, the
trophy will remain in the possession of the previous honoree until next
round.
Joe: 1923 - The year they imminentized the Eschatophone(TM).
Linda: This one is so funny that I had to like it.  Pierre?
Pierre: This sounds like Elliott.
Elliott: Mine.  It won't win the round, but it will win the David Randall
Award and perhaps also the Gosport Award.  The result of a morning spent
shopping for soundproof booths after reading of Brigham Young's request
for a coffin "to have the appearance that if I wanted to turn a little to
the
right or left I should have plenty of room to do so".
Will: This is too beautiful not to get points, even if I suspect Mr.
Randall.

hoggin - n. - A keg about the size of two demi-johns.
by Linda.  Amy 1 = 1 point.
Amy: No idea what a demi-john is, so, hey, one point.
Elliott: Let me be the sixth person to say, "Wouldn't that be a john?"

hoggin - n. - (Dialect variant of hogshead) A small cask.
by Pierre.  Correct guess 2 = 2 points.

hoggin - n. - A vessel or measure having a capacity of two quarts.
by Aussie.  Correct guess 2 = 2 points.

hoggin - n. - Half a hogshead.
by Will.  No points.

hoggin - n. - 1. Fluid measure, approximately .68 pint  2. British copper
coin, in circulation c. 1350-1450.
by Kir.  Amy 2 = 2 points.
Amy: Two points for the double definition, very nice!

hoggin - n. - The traditional pigskin sack (now more commonly leather or
synthetic) used by a supermodel to hold her diet pills.
by Ranjit.  Linda 1 = 1 point.
Elliott: Also nice!  Aussie?  Sorry I'm out of points.
Linda: Another funny one.

hoggin - n. - A chest of drawers custom built to fit into a wall niche.
by Fran.  Ranjit 2, Aussie 1, Judith 1, Elliott 2, Melissa 2, Will 1,
Pierre 1, Josh 2 = 12 points and VIC-TO-RY!!
Ranjit: I want one of those.  And a wall niche built to accomodate it.
Aussie: 1 point for this tasteful object!
Elliott: A thing in search of a name, this last.  I like it.
Will: Clever.

hoggin - n. - A small baked pastry, often stuffed with sweet sausage.
by achu1.  David 2 = 2 points.
Melissa: Ah, young Arthur and the pastry definition....
Jean-Joseph: So, I don't know who achu1 is, is it someone named Arthur? 
This is the definition that was accidentally sent to the list instead of
to me; nice to see that it got votes anyway.

hoggin - n. - Southern dialect term for the stomach, especially of an
overweight person.
by Judith.  Linda 1 = 1 point.
Linda: Yet another silly def.

hoggin - n. - A short broom made of horsehair.
by Melissa.  David 1, Judith 2, Josh 1, Correct guess 1 = 5 points,
runner-up.

hoggin - v.t. - To process woolen cloth to produce a shiny compact
surface.
by Eric.  Ranjit 1 = 1 point.
Ranjit: One verb point.
Elliott: The concept sounds like mercerizing, but I think that's done to
cotton.  Anyhow, "hoggin" just doesn't sound verby enough to me.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:19:14 EDT

>going to matter anyway -- she won by a huge margin.

Which didn't matter anyway because graduation meant I didn't actually read my 
e-mail again until today.  Hooray that the sun came out in time and we were 
able to use the stadium!  (those of you who don't know, I teach high school)
I'll start looking for word candidates...I used to have a list, and I 
remember seeing it BEFORE I moved last September...  (haven't won in  a while)
-Fran

PS I am currently looking for a house to buy, and one that I looked at had 
the perfect place for a custom-built set of drawers.  It was a person-wide, 
floor-to-ceiling wall niche in a very odd newly-remodeled bathroom.  This was 
AFTER writing the definition.
-Fran