Subject: Re: canoodle

From: Jean-Joseph Cote <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:51:35 -0500

Pretty sure "canoodle" wasn't ever a telefictionary word with this group,
at least not as long as I've been in (since "infangtheof"), but I do have
three questions:

1) What kind of motel do you think would use the name "Canoodle Inn"? 
(Packwood, WA)

2) What do you think of the domain names for sale at canoodle.com?

3) Was this word coined by Joyce in _Finnegan's Wake_, or are there
earlier citations?

Jean-Joseph

---

From: Aussie Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:06:29 -0800

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19980225

> 1) What kind of motel do you think would use the name "Canoodle Inn"? 

MY kind of motel. 

> 2) What do you think of the domain names for sale at canoodle.com?
Not too shabby, as these things go. I like Lulunet.com, GodsForum.com,
and Hightalk.com

> 3) Was this word coined by Joyce in _Finnegan's Wake_, or are there

Well, I found Paul Whitehead playing  "Canoodle Oodle Along" in 1929 and
the Maven's Word of the Day at Random House takes it back to 1859 and
links it to possibly German "knudeln" (to cuddle).

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19980225