Subject: abrin

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:13:55 -0400

Tag, I'm it!
The word is "abrin". If you know it, please let me know by Saturday. 
Otherwise, please submit defs by next Wednesday. If you need more time 
because of trips, let me know.

In your definitions, please use a previously used fictionary word. You may use 
that word in its real sense (e.g. "A worker in a vanocka factory who opens 
the doors of the ovens") or a fake sense (e.g. "The confectioner's product 
which supersedes a vanocka").

phma
-- 
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa

---

From: Hutch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 06:16:51 -0600

Um, some of us may not recall very many (okay, *any*) of 
the past fictionary words, definitions, and fictionitions. 
I know that somebody used to have a web site with all/some 
of them. Is it still up? If so, where?

If not, is there another way to see the old info? Archived 
somewhere, perchance?

BB,
Hutch

Quoting Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>:

> Tag, I'm it!
>
> The word is "abrin". If you know it, please let me
> know by Saturday. Otherwise, please submit defs by
> next Wednesday. If you need more time because of
> trips, let me know.
> 
> In your definitions, please use a previously used
> fictionary word. You may use that word in its real
> sense (e.g. "A worker in a vanocka factory who opens
> the doors of the ovens") or a fake sense (e.g. "The
> confectioner's product which supersedes a vanocka").
> 
> phma
> --

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:48:44 -0400

> If not, is there another way to see the old info? Archived

Here are two lists of words and meanings. One is a list of true meanings; the 
other is a list of David Randall's fictionitions, to sebaggle the mind.

looby  n.  A big, clumsy person

infangtheof -- in medieval English law, a feudal lord's right to try in
his baronial court any wrongdoer captured on his lands.  Also
infangenthef.  Compare outfangtheof.

wlonk - adj. - 1. Proud, haughty.  2. Rich, splendid, fine, magnificent.

xerclod - n. - A trapezoidal piece of spruce or hard balsa on the pod
section of a model rocket boost-glider that serves as a hook for
attaching the glider section.  [back-formation from the label "piece X"
found on early plan diagrams]

sastruga - n. - A long, wavelike ridge of snow formed by the wind and
found on the polar plains.

ustulation - n. - _Pharm._  The roasting or drying of moist substances to
prepare them for pulverizing.

pernio - n. - a chronic form of chilblain.

fidola. - n. - a viola played in American or British folk idiom.

baubee - n. - (Scots) a halfpenny.  After Alexander Orrok, Laird of
[[Sillbawby]], 16th-century Scottish master of the mint.

glusk, v.  To squint.

salacacabia (n): an uneatable soup of great pretensions.  (or Salacacaby
of Apicius)

guimpe - n.  A starched cloth covering the neck and shoulders as part of
a nun's habit.

loco-foco - 1.  n. self-lighting cigar invented by John Marck in 1834.
Also, nickname formerly applied to the Democratic party in the United
States.

modesty - 1. freedom from conceit or vanity   2. propriety in speech,
dress, or conduct.

nosema - n. - A type of infectious dysentery that afflicts bees.

cottabus, n.  An ancient Greek game, which consisted in throwing wine
from cups, without spilling, into metal basins.

jequirity, n.  1. Indian licorice.  2. the poisonous scarlet seeds of
this plant, used for making rosaries and as a standard weight.

cypripareunia.  n.  Sexual intercourse with a prostitute.

zeme - n. - [Carib _cemi._] an idol or tutelary spirit worshipped by the
aborigines of the W. Indian islands

manille. n.  [Fr. manille, from Sp. manilla, a game of cards, manille,
from mano; L. manus, hand] In card playing, the card second in rank in
the games omber and quadrille.

temulent - adj. - Drunken, inebriated.

bagasse - (n) the residue left after sugar has been extracted from sugar
cane

gonotheca, n. in some colonial coelenterates, a cylindrical capsule
containing a reproductive polyp.

afflatus - (n) inspiration or powerful impulse, as of an artist or poet

holothurian (n.) Any of a class (Holothurioidea) of echinoderms having an
elongate flexible tough muscular body; a sea cucumber.

sulcate - adj. - (Biology) Having narrow longitudinal indentations;
grooved.

stringhalt  (n.) a condition of lameness in the hind legs of a horse,
caused by muscular spasms.

latticinio - n. opaque white glass, often used in threads for a
decorative pattern on glassware

gosport, n. -- a flexible speaking tube for communication between
separate cockpits of an airplane.

murnival, n. In the game of gleek, four cards of the same value, as four
aces or four kings; hence, four of anything.

hutchet, n. a hunter's horn: bugle

murrey - adj. - Grayish to dark purple.

garbure  (n)  a thick soup made with bacon and cabbage, with cheese and
stale bread added.

littress - n. - a smooth paper used for making cards

cabomba (n) - any of a genus of plants of the waterlily family, esp. a
water plant with submerged, finely divided leaves and rounded, floating
ones: used in aquariums, garden pools, etc.

contango - n. - 1.  (Stock Market) The premium or interest paid by the
buyer to the seller, to be allowed to defer paying for the stock
purchased until the next fortnightly settlement day. 2. (Law) The
postponement of payment by the buyer of stock on the payment of a
premium to the seller. See Backwardation.

costean -- (v.)  to prospect for a lode by sinking a pit into the
bedrock.

vigoro - n. - A team ball game combining elements of cricket and
baseball.

lanternise (v) - to spent one's time in learned trifles.

pistareen n. - (prob. modif. of  Sp. peseta) an old Spanish silver piece
circulating at a debased rate.

raffinose, n. -- a crystalline slightly sweet sugar obtained commercially
from cottonseeed meal. 

meristic - adj. - involving modification in number or in geometrical
relation of body parts

kist (n.) A chest, box, or locker.

slype - n. - [prob. fr. Flem. _slijpe_ place for slipping in and out] : a
narrow passage, specif. one between the transept and chapter house or
deanery in an English cathedral.

FESCENNINE (adj) (ribald songs sung at rustic weddings, prob. fr.
Fescenninus 
of Fescennium) scurrilous, obscene

spancel (v): 1. to keep a cow or other large animal from moving by tying
its legs together.  2. to prevent a crab from pinching by inserting the
point of a leg into the base of each claw.

fordo   v.   1.  To bring to ruin.   2.  To exhaust utterly.

paphian - adj 1 of or relating to Paphos or its people 2 of or relating
to illicit love, wanton -- n 3 a native or inhabitant of Paphos 4
prostitute

cothurnus - (n)  1. a high thick-soled laced boot worn by actors in Greek
and Roman tragic drama  2. the dignified somewhat stilted style of
ancient tragedy

eruke, n. A malshave or malshrag. [All three words mean "caterpillar".]

tip-stretcher  -- (n.) An apparatus for stretching hat crowns.

ambrette, n. An old variety of pear, Pyrus communis, amber pear, with a
faint odor of ambergris.

colorstruck - adj. - (colloq. Afr/Am) - obsessed with light complexions.

darapti, n. A syllogism of the form: Every foo is bar, every foo is baz,
therefore some bar is baz. See ferison.

sebaggle [variety round, not a real word, you were supposed to write a
definition that sounded as if it came from David Randall]

galligaskin.  Now chiefly in pl.  1577.  [app. a corruption of F.
garguesque, a metathetic var. of greguesque, ad. It. grechesca sb., orig.
fem. of grechesco Greek (this kind of hose being in 16th c. described as
alla grechesca = Fr. a la grecque in the Greek fashion).  Prob. in pop.
etym. assoc. w. GALLEY.]  1. A kind of wide hose or breeches worn in the
16th and 17th c.; later a jocose term for loose breeches in general. 
Also
attrib.  2. leggings, gaiters (dial.) 1859.  3. A variety of the Cowslip
(Primula veris) 1629.

morepork -- (n.) An Australian owl, Ninox boobook; also applied to the
owl Spiloglaux novaezeelandiae and, erroneously, to a frogmouth nightjar
or podargue

glabella - n. - The space between the eyebrows, just above the nose.

plench  n.  a hand tool used for gripping, pulling, and turning objects
under zero gravity, operated by squeezing the handle.

dern, adj. 1. Secret. 2. Trustworthy with secrets. -v. To hide.

derb : adj : rough, uncrystallized, massive.

tat - n. - (slang) dice; esp. false or loaded dice.

glochinate.  adj.  Having a double hook on the end.

quat - n. - 1. a pustule; a small boil; a stye.  2. Applied
contemptuously to a (young) person.

picoline - n. - Any of three isomeric liquid methylpyridine bases, C6H7N,
derived from coal tar, horse urine, and bone oil and used as an
industrial solvent.

mollag, n. The skin of an animal, blown up as a bladder, and used as a
float. See Xenophon's ANABASIS, 3:5, on crossing a river.

pungle, v. (fr.Sp. póngale put it down) 1851- 1.transitive senses: to
make a payment or contribution of (money) -- usually used with up.   2.
intransitive senses : pay, contribute -- usually used with up.

turndun -- n.  A flattish, fish-shaped piece of wood fastened by one end
to a thong and whirled to make a penetrating noise.

interbastation n. Patchwork.

gambier - n. - a yellowish catechu obtained from a Malayan woody vine of
the madder family and is used for chewing with the betel nut and for
tanning and dyeing.

zax (n.) a hatchetlike tool for cutting and dressing roofing slates. [The
lost word, results for which never appeared.  Technically, we are
currently playing interim rounds of fictionary, still waiting for the zax
winner to be crowned.]

asternal -- (adj.)  1.  Not connected to the sternum.  2. Lacking a
sternum.

atrip  - adj. & adv. - just clear of the bottom, as an anchor

culch (_also_ sculch) -- (n.) 1.  A natural bed for oysters.  2.  The
spawn of the oyster.  3.  Clean trash or rubbish.  4.  Someone or
something held in contempt.

wamble -- (n.) 1. A wobble or roll. 2. An upset stomach.

grig (n.) A lively, bright person.

raddle -- (n.)  (UK agr.)  Red ochre used to dye living sheep.

chott (n) 1. The depression surrounding a salt marsh, esp. in North
Africa. 
2. The bed of a dried salt marsh.

dorbel (n) A dull-witted pedant, a foolish pretender to learning; from
Nicholas Dorbellus, a 15th-century professor of philosophy and follower
of Duns Scotus, whose name gives dunce

wlonk - n.   - Overcooked tapioca.

xerclod - n. (19th cent. Brit.) - a messenger boy at a newspaper. See
'Fleet-Street Lad'.

sastruga - n. - (Texan dial.) A tailor; a weakling. [Spanish, from
_sastre_]

pernio - n. - a stony field

skep - v. - to clear a field of stones and tree stumps (word withdrawn,
Judith knew it)

fidola. - n. - (Shropshire dial.) a viola.

baubee - n. - (Scots dialect) a coracle.

glusk, v.  (fr. Icelandic) to etch ivory.

salacacabia (n): (fr. Arapaho) a teepee made of coyote
skins; used in deserts and steppes.

guimpe - n.  (Middle English) An unspecified method of birth
control mentioned in the fifteenth-century Caxton Letters.

loco-foco - n. (Oxford slang) a loquacious vulgarian.

modesty - 1. self-abnegation   2. chaste demeanor (another variety round)

nosema - n. - An enema of the nasal passages.

cottabus, n.  1. A monastic copyist of manuscripts 2. An apprentice
linguist.

jequirity - an Australian drink made of gin steeped in eucalyptus leaves.

cypripareunia.  n.  1. Love that arises between husband and wife after
marriage; usually referring to arranged marriages.  2. Conjugal
affection.

manille. n. 1. a loosely-woven Flemish cloth patterned after
Manila silk.  2. a cheap fabric.  3. (slang) a prostitute.

temulent - n. - A living man possessed by a revenant.

bagasse - (n) a sixteenth-centurey French court dance adapted from a
peasant dance of the Auvergne

gonotheca, n. a thief of automobiles.

afflatus - (n) a constriction of the sphincter

holothurian - (adj.) 1. Extremely bloody.  2. In accordance with the
principles
of Holothur the Lusatian (1320? - 1378), founder of the lay Catholic
Order of 
Ecstatic Flagellants.

sulcate - n. - A residue of slag and coke ash produced in steel
foundries.

stringhalt  (n.) a peppercorn goat's milk cheese from the Stringhalt
district
of Bavaria

latticinio - n. black-and-gray stippled marble

gosport, n. -- the sterile offspring of two species of falcons.

murnival, adj. Deeply furrowed.

hutchet, n. (fr. Xhosa _*u-che_ [log]) a ventilation pipe in a mine

murrey - n. - A thin needle used by furriers to stitch together pelts.

garbure  (v)  [fr. Hindi] 1. to act disrespectfully.  2. to profane a
temple.

littress - n. - (fr. Dutch) a drained marsh

cabomba (n) - (fr. Portuguese) a rapid dance usually performed at
weddings

contango - n. - The portion of a slush pile at a publishing house that
has arrived without a self-addressed stamped envelope.

costean - adj. - cheap, shoddy

vigoro - n. - A one-armed strong man.  cf. Giuseppe Vigoro (1842-1915),
a.k.a. Joe Vigor, The Ringling Brothers' Crippled Atlas of Capua.

lanternise (v) - (Welsh dialect) to macadamize a road (after
David Lantern, who built the first macadam road in Wales).

pistareen n. - (fr. Uighur) the water-brigands of the Pisetayur sect of
the Takla Makan.

raffinose,  adj. -- (18th cent.) gossipy, malevolent.  From Sydney
Raffin, the
villain of Farquahar's _The Maid of Fleet Street_ (1754).

meristic - n. - Benthamite machine proposed by Charles Babbage to
quantify happiness.  Attacked by MILL in _On Liberty_ and parodied by
TROLLOPE in _The Curate's Device_.  Cf. ORWELL's essay, "Marx, the
Meristic, and _The Manchester Guardian_."

kist (n.) (fr. Icelandic) a family feud caused by breach of promise of
marriage.

slype - adj. - (Scots dial.) disorganized, chaotic, incompetent.  Cf.
"The Earl of Slype's Raid on York"

FESCENNINE (n) rust-colored marble quarried in the Tuscan town of Fescia

spancel (n): 1. an officer of the Austro-Hungarian armored motorcycle
corps.
2. a veteran serving in rightist paramilitary organizations.

fordo   n.   A lucky marble

paphian - adj - susceptible to sensual enthusiasms

cothurnus - (n) improperly healed scar tissue containing pus

eruke, n. A broad, curved harpoon with a serrated tip.

tip-stretcher -- (n.) [Aus. slang] a man proficient at sexual activities.

ambrette, n. 1. A small glass bottle containing ambergris or other
perfumes. 2. An aphrodisiac. 3. A flirtatious young woman

colorstruck - n. - a flock consisting solely of white-fleeced sheep

darapti, n. (fr. Hindi) A railway porter.

The word list is at http://www.kith.org/logos/words/fictionary/wordlist.html ; 
there's also a list of all the defs of "uliginose" at 
http://www.kith.org/logos/words/lower2/uuliginose.html .

phma