[Fictionary] Squiz Results

Nicolas Ward ultranurd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 12:58:29 EST 2017

The results are in and... we have a three-way tie in the points total!
I'm not sure if we have a metric for tie breaking between receiving
the most points or assigning the most points to the real definition.
One of Jean-Joseph, Hutch, or Ranjit should take it away.

It seems in general my looking up regional colloquialisms on
Wiktionary does not fool a lot of you.

Jean-Joseph: 5 + 0
Hutch: 4 + 1
Ranjit: 3 + 2
Jim: 3 + 0
Pierre: 1 + 2
Fran: 2 + 0
Elliott: 0 + 1
Linda: N/A + 0
David: 0 + 0

Elliott gets an honorable mention for Most Elliott Definition
(Provoking Laughter) for his anti-sugar.

I should obviously not be running rounds now that my routine involves
effectively no time at a non-phone non-work computer for managing my
email... I'll still play occasionally! Sorry for the huge delay in
this one.

----

Apologies to Linda for missing her grandkid-provided definitions in the ballot:

squiz, adj. When you feel sick (Colwynne, 14)
squid, n. A kid in the movie "Sandlot" (Snowdon, 11)

Linda: My grand-dog Dante, their brother,  would make it something to eat.

----

David

squiz, n. (fr. Chicago Croat dial.) A derogatory appellation for a
Slovenian-American.

Pierre: Doesn't look Slavic.
Elliott: Sounds derogatory, but I don't think Nick would have chosen
an ethnic insult.

----

Jean-Joseph

squiz, n. A slipcover for a bed-warming stone.

Fran: 1
Hutch: 2
David: 2

Elliott: Sounds derogatory, but I don't think Nick would have chosen
an ethnic insult.

----

Jim

squiz, n. A member of a heist team whose role is to distract the
bank's security guard with amusing or scandalous stories while the
other members enter.

David: 1
Linda: 2

Linda: I'll go with the crims
Pierre: Great criminal minds think alike, eh?

----

Fran

squiz, v. To apply caulk or construction adhesive; n. 1. A cured
section of caulk or adhesive that has not adhered properly to the
surface(s) of application. 2. A bead of applied caulk or adhesive.

Jim: 2

Hutch: Just too close to squeeze...

----

Wiktionary (alternative form of squizz
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/squizz#English )

squiz, n. (chiefly Australian) A look; v. To look, examine.

Ranjit: 2
Hutch: 1
Pierre: 2
Elliott: 1

Elliott: ``(chiefly Aus.)'' in a def drastically reduces its
verisimilitude for me, but this is so much more plausible than any of
its competitors that I'll give it one point.

----

Pierre

squiz, n. A distracting maneuver performed by a pickpocket's
accomplice, developed in Barcelona; v. To perform this maneuver on (a
victim or mark).

Linda: 1

Linda: I'll go with the crims

----

Ranjit

squiz, n. Leftover whiskers, tails, etc. at a mouse factory.

Pierre: 1
Elliott: 2

Fran: LOL!
Elliott: Tail def #1.  I always wondered what that stuff was called.

----

Hutch

squiz, n. The tail on an uppercase Q.

Jim: 1
Ranjit: 1
Fran: 2

Elliott: Tail def #2.  Wouldn't they just call it a tail?

----

Elliott

Squiz, n. Trade name of the metabolically inert sweetener revulose,
the antimatter analogue of sucrose, during a short-lived diet fad of
the 1970s.

Jim: That's one way to lose weight fast...
Fran: ROFL!!!!
Hutch: The ANTIMATTER analogue??????? "Flee, screaming, into the night!!!!!"
Pierre: There are ribose and levulose, but I've never heard of
revulose. I think you
mean "enantiomer". Antimatter sugar would disappear with a huge outburst of
energy as soon as it contacted normal sugar.

----